Unexplained toothache and jaw ache

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dorabella, Jan 8, 2006.

1. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Once again I have had a weekend of feeling as if someone has punched my right lower jaw - it feels bruised to the touch but there is no inflammation or anything else. Last night my teeth were aching and it hurt to put pressure on them (like when I have been clenching them during the night).

This morning it has eased off - I just have the sore jaw again.

Does anyone else get this? I am wondering if it is some manifestation of TMJ or just due to the cold weather aches(cold weather always gives me earache!)

2. lease79

lease79 New Member

Sounds like it could be TMJ related. I've got the same thing happening at the moment, & my sinus is also playing up, so for me I think that they're all related.
  3. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Funny I've just got rid of a four-day head cold. perhaps it has irritated whatever tender points are causing this pain.

I know it's not dental pain as I've not long had my teeth checked.

Just as I was hoping to have a peaceful and FM pain-free New Year !
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

in unexplained tooth pain, as are some of the chronic infections being found in these DDs, two often referred to with regard to this are borrelia (lyme) and coagulase negative staph (as identifed by the University of Newscatle in Australia). My dentist has info on both these infections, he asked for it because he has other patients with unexplained tooth pain.

Some people find eating foods they are allergic to, or intolerant of, causes tooth pain.

TMJ disorders can also produce pain like this. I was given a bite guard to use 24/7 intially then just at night, it helped reduce my jaw and tooth pain. I used it continuously for some time, then just needed it a night for a month or so when things started to flare up a bit, I have not neededto use my bit guard for many years now. I didn't grind my teeth at night nor did I have the jaw bruxism that can occur in FM.

The cold weather makes matters worse for me, cold winds always gave me ear ache, so over the years I have acquired a number of hats that keep my ears warm and protect them from the wind. Even a cool strong wind in the summer months can set my earache off. My mother's just the same.

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2006]
  5. dorabella

dorabella New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago with regard to aches and pains in the jaw (same place lower right) and he felt that it was due to tension in the jaw and shoulders with possibly referred pain from the shoulders/neck.

I do have problems with sinuses and get earache from the cold weather but hadn't thought that this had much to do with this particular bout of discomfort. It is niggly all day and reaches a peak of discomfort early evening. After taking a couple of paracetomal it went away within 10 minutes. When I wake up in the morning there is only the bruised feeling on the jawline and no tooth pain.

As I can't find any other explanation for it (Ive had this before once or twice although in a milder form) I'm grinning (ouch!!) and bearing for the moment and hoping it will ease off.

However, thanks for the information and suggestions. This is always a very helpful site.
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

I came across this one and it sounds like something I should have checked myself.

Look up posting by: afisher39
    Silent Acid Reflux was cause of my chronic fatigue 11/30/05 12:37 PM

enter: afisher30 in search box and change search from title to usersname and click......look at her posts for "Silent Acid Reflux was a cause of my chronic fatigue" that was posted on 11-30-05 at 12:37 PM.

Really a great article.......Anyone with tooth problems of any kind/Sinus/sore glands/ear aches and so forth should read it. Good Luck.....Susan
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

WOW.......I went and entered borrelia into search and got three "hits".I was not used to that term/name/disease under that name.

All of this really has me thinking.......I know I have seen a lot on Lyme disease.......but I did not think it was connected to me. Now I wonder. I was checked two different times for it a long time ago, after I got my illness.

What type of lab is prefered? I am sure I have read that to make sure you are tested through a certain lab or testing?!

AND could I have it for years, even though I am really sick, and still half way function without treatment?

I might have Lyme confused with another illness? I have to look more up on this. Anyhelp appreciated.....SUES1