Unique Moonrise Early Wednesday Night

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Jun 17, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Tonight at sunset, go outside and check out the moon rise. It will be unusually large and beautiful.

It's a well know fact that the full moon always appears larger when it is near the horizon, due to an optical illusion.

But tonight is the "Solstice Moon" or the "June Moon" and the effect is even more exaggerated. It will look bigger than ever and the effect will last longer! It has something to do with the sun being at it's highest during the summer solstice, and the full moon occurring near the time of the solstice, (the 20th.)

I have seen the moonrise illusion many times, and it is hard to believe that is is not really bigger on the horizon. And supposedly on the 18th, it will be even harder to believe.

Just wanted to pass that on to anyone who is interested.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. I checked it out on Snopes, however. This is a primitive myth (rather than an urban myth).

Back in ancient times, before people had clothes and famous designers and name brands, they just wore whatever they could find around the house.

Although technically, they did not actually have houses either. If we take the words "Solstice Moon" and rearrange a bit we get "Ice lot moss on."

And that's what primitive people had to do. The put a lot of moss on until they were able to invent clothes.

Since the invention of clothes occurred around this time, the date was celebrated annually, and the expression "Tying on one" which first applied to the moss, and later to clothes (which lacked buttons and zippers) came to refer to the numerous toasts which were tossed down.

So it's not really a hoptical hallushion, it's just that the observers had a few to many and couldn't observe accurately.

Thank goodness for Snopes.

3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I did notice a very beautiful, big moon, however- it was really pretty at sunset and huge. We were in Alaska last week and we had daylight all night, since it is close to solstice. The actual amount of sun was about 22 hours, but then it didn't really get dark in between- only dusky. It is a fascinating place, but an awful lot of mosquitoes!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the Lesson! I have always wondered why the Moon looks so huge this time of year and especialy when it's rising! it has been Beautiful up here the last 2 nights!,,,,,,S
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

...in the night time, I hasten to add!

We have lived on the coast of NO CA for most of our lives. Having moved inland and out of the fog belt, the moons have been spectacular. With the fires near us, it was eerie.

But,they are out and look forward to seeing the full moon tonight.

Thanks for the info.

6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

LOL Hmmm, perhaps Rock tied a few too many on?LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Well, me and the hubby tied on our moss suits and drove out a little ways to a high point to see the moon. I think we got there a few minutes too late, and missed the initial rising/illusion. But the color was magnificent...a brilliant amber/pink glow with a soft haze encircling it. Something I read said it would be that color, and it was.

So we missed the gigantic part, but that's okay. We still had our cozy moss suits and Blizzards from the DQ (hence the lateness), and the moon was still big and beautiful.

9. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

We saw a huge moonrise last year that took our breath away! It was about 4 times bigger than the full moon usually is. I'm sure it was the same effect as this one, maybe even around the same time of year. It is really worth seeing if anyone can get to a place to see it. It looked like a huge yellow balloon :) We saw it over a highway overpass and we wondered if the heat from all the cars made it seem even huger than usual. I tried to take a pic but it turned out just a little speck. Wish I had a telephoto lens.