Unreal, exercise has helped my Fibro!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FM_DD, Jun 24, 2003.

1. FM_DD

FM_DD New Member

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know my pain (mostly in my back and legs) has gotten a WHOLE LOT BETTER since I have started walking. I started out real slow and small walks and have now progressed to walking very fast for about 40 minutes! On the days I have more pain than usual I still walk but not as fast or long. I have lost 15 lbs during this and I have so much more energy. Just wanted to let you know what is working for me. Have a great day!
  2. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am soooooo happy for you! I am a believer in the exercise theory. I started by just doing some things around the house that I had not done for a really long time. Then mow the yard.. doing some chores .. etc. It has helped me tremendously. And hey.. even if I hurt..at least I have accomplished something and I feel so much better about myself!

Good for you fm and I hope you have continued success! ... Sherry
  3. RedB

RedB New Member

I sincerely believe that walking is the answer to keeping us mobile and flexed.

I am terrible about stretching and other exercises (although I do enjoy dancing around like a fool to my favorite fast songs lol). However, walking is a different story. Walking is not just an exercise, it is a joy! If you pick a spot where everything around you brings you happiness as you walk, it is great for the mind and soul, not to mention the body.

I think the trick for the folks who have pain in the lower parts of their bodies is to just take short 10 minute walks a couple times a day. If you have the opportunity to walk on roads and sidewalks, I believe it is a lot easier on the body than treadmills. Wintertime brings me back down, because the treadmill causes pain in my joints that regular walking does not.

Kathy
  4. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi Fmdd,

We notice that when we go on walks that we sleep better and have less leg and foot pain. It also helps beat the blues, even if we feel very tired afterwards.

The Zoso's
  5. jka

jka New Member

i've just joined a gym.one of the trainers there works with all the fibro people.i'm doing very light weights,treadmill and exercise bike.every week i can do a little more.i'm feeling better too!keep it up!

kathy c
  6. JannyW

JannyW New Member

fm_dd, how wonderful that your pain has been relieved! When I was first diagnosed with FM in 1982, all they told me was to "do something aerobic" ... so I took dance exercise classes. Of course this was when I was much younger and had more energy to begin with ... doing the same classes now would kill me!

My big problem with walking is that I have bad knees and I broke my ankle in March and am still somewhat recuperating. I know that water exercise is supposed to be good, but I'm not really fond of the water; and the equipment in our fitness room requires leg & foot action. Sigh. Guess I'm doomed to be a chubby.

Jan ^v^
  7. sewsore

sewsore New Member

I started doing water arobics in February and i feel so much better. I am also starting to take glucosamine with condroiton and i think i may be helping. I started with twice a day but the pain got worse so now i only take one at breakfast and so far so good.

Keep on walking fm and good luck

Connie
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

And people in my support group usually thought I was a real bi*ch for pushing it so much, but it has made so much difference for me.
    Good for you!
    Klutzo
  9. karenq

karenq New Member

Before this DD, I used to walk a lot, but I found that I just cannot make myself do it now. I think a lot of it has to do with the weather--I don't want to go out to walk if it's very hot or very cool. I just signed up at a new place for exercise. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name or not, but it's an exercise place for women and you do each exercise for 30 seconds and switch to another exercise. You do this for 30 minutes total in one workout. It sounds like something I could do with my energy levels--and it will be inside with air conditioning. I hope I will be able to start tomorrow.

I'm so glad the exercise has helped you and I hope it will help me too.
  10. toots2

toots2 New Member

BEcause my pain is mainly located in my buttocks, feet and legs, walking just seems to be impossible for me. Has anyone else with very dibilitating leg pain been able to work up to taking a walk? I have started out slowly, skipped a day walking, tried to do this over and over but the pain gets so bad. I would love to do aerobics too but can't even imagine what that would do to my body. I do swim at the "Y" in the winter but this summer I am noticing that swimming too many laps (and they don't amount to many) is causing me to hurt even more. What's a person to do in this situation? I would love to hear from someone who has managed to walk or exercise in spite of their pain. Thanks ever so much. Toots
  11. MarieTourond

MarieTourond New Member

Hi, I find walking a good exercise too, but also do some moderate exercise for about 15 mins about three times a week, when I have the energy to do so. Like touch the toes, which I can still do, and made up ones. The only one I can't do is situps, cause of the osteoporosis arthritis in the spine.

I get pain, but I push myself past the pain and feel a lot better after the exercise. But there are times that I have to stop cause it does hurt too much and my mind can't push through the pain.

I could not touch my toes for a long time, but the dr finally found a medicine that I could take for my arthritis, as am drug intollerant and have ulcers that stop me form using motrin or ibuprofen. Oh, am I allowed to put the name of pills in here????

There are times that my whole body is too sore to exercise, so I do relish the days that I can. I do walk a lot though, or maybe should say saunter. I go to the mall a lot and since I do not drive it is either walking or taking the bus.

Good luck to everyone with their exercises and hope that we can all continue to be able to walk for a long time.

Hugs lee