Unrefreshed sleep no matter how much you get?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by andyM, Jun 12, 2003.

1. andyM

andyM New Member

I was wondering if anyone else had this annoying problem:

No matter how much I sleep, whether it is 4 hours or 14 hours, I never feel refreshed or rested. Plus, I ALWAYS feel tired like I could sleep. Some days I think I could sleep all day if I let myself.

Its never really a deep refreshing sleep, and often times full of night mares.

Anyone else have any of these problems?
  2. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Hi Andy,

Sure do know what you mean, just woke up from my morning nap after getting 9 hours sleep last night and still feel like I need more sleep. Even after I woke up this morning had to lay there for over an hour before I had the strength to get up and my nights are now full of strange dreams and nightmares. CFS is the pits,,,sure wish I could get past this. Best of luck to you. Tulip
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2003]
  3. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I have been sleeping longer than normal. I feel worse and yet I am just so fatigued.

I went for 6 wks. could hardly sleep. Sometimes I felt better just getting my norm. 4 hr. sleep. It is weird.

Sometimes I do better the next day if I have not slept all night due to pain etc.

I also stay in this wild dream,exhausting dream state. Maybe that is why I am so tired when I wake up, the dreams are as if I am awake and in constant battle to get out of them. Just exhausts me.

So jury is out if I do better with sleep or without.

Last night with sleep woke up in awful pain, pain woke me, and soooo fatigued.

Most confusing isn`t it. Exhausts me just thinking about it.
  4. nickname

nickname New Member

....are classic symptomology of m.e.(c.f.s) and fibro. It is imperative that you get your doctor to manage this because your syptoms will not improve without quality deep sleep. It is a major problem for all of us. I went without sleep for six whole years - could not initiate sleep, could not stay asleep, crap quality sleep - vivid nightmares with oversized black images, and woke up feeling a million times worse. Ambien, (zolpidem) together with 2omg. trimipramine (surmontil) has given me the sleep I so desparately needed in order to repair my body. Have been on this for 3 years - it does not suit everyone, but u must find what suits u. You must get deep restorative sleep as part of your management programme.
    Best wishes - nickname.
  5. mystijul

mystijul New Member

The only things that ever helped with this porblem were 1.) when I went on Guai and had a 3 weeks remission.
    2.) When I started Armour Thyroid this problem fixed itself immediately. The anti-depressants they gave me for sleep, only made me groggier in the morning.
    Peace,
    Julie
  6. shazz

shazz New Member

I am a total insomniac, so I have tried about every sleep aid there is.
    Either they don't work, and I get my usual 3-4 hours or they do knock me out, and then I feel like crap the next day. So either way I lose.
    My last one to try was Sonata, supposedly you can take it up to 4 hours before you have to function, but I tell ya, it caused me a dopey hungover next day big time.
    I give up!!
    Hopefully someone will come along with more suggestions because it is getting really old.
    I don't know how we keep going some days.

Hugs
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

For a lifetime. But am sleeping 7-8 hours now very deeply.

This is what I am taking, I don't know if it will help everyone, but it sure is working for me.

8pm I take a 0.25 milligrams of Xanax (for racing brain syndrome)

9pm 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium, vitamin B-6) this is the magic bullet for me with sleep. I have been taking ZMA for a little over a year now, and sleep everynight!

10pm 2 1/2 milligrams of Melatonin (helps me fall asleep).

I have tried everything on the market, prescription as well as OTC for sleep. Nothing worked for long. Some I was addicted too, nasty habit to break with some of them.

Good luck to you all!

Shalom, Shirl

8. 2tiredmom

2tiredmom New Member

Hey Andy, this is my first time here and I have no idea if I'm in the right place or not. I have the sleep problems too, somtimes I can sleep for 9 hours and it feels like I got zero, then I sleep for 2and a half hours and feels just fine. I wake up at night sweating yet freezing at the same time. I have strange dreams that wake me up so fast. It's like someone came along and jumped on my bed and scared the crap outta me, I just sit straight up and it takes a few minutes to catch my breath. Happens at work too, all of a sudden I feel like something is going to hit me, anyone ever get that? Like you know pain is on it's way? It's very hard to explain. Then the next thing I know I'm hanging on to my checkstand so I don't fall over.
    Also, every once in awhile I can feel something moving in my stomach and I am not pregnant! It's like right under my ribcage and moves like it's trying to get out. I know I sound like something off the first ALIEN movie but, I swear to god it's real and it hurts. I haven't seen a doc yet as I can't afford to pay for some nitwit to tell me I'm constipated when I know I'm not. Anyone? help ty Twila
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2003]
  9. shazz

shazz New Member

But will ask about the gabatril, never heard of it before, and see here I thought I had tried them all.
    I will ask next rheumy appointment if we can try that one.
    I need something, I am just afraid his answer will be, let's increase your antidepressant, (seems to be an answer for everything these days). What he doesn't know is that I am not taking the one I have the script for already, but I am just too tired to argue with him over that one.
    I did try the 5htp with no luck.
    I am a bit afraid of magnesium, because I had chronic diarreah after having my gallbladder removed, and I know that bothers some people.
    Something has to give though, and I will make a list of what I learned here. : )
    You people are GREAT!!