Unrefreshing sleep and CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I've read about unrefreshing sleep being a possible symptom of CFS. I am having a lot of trouble translating this into reality. The less sleep I get, the worse I feel. And this means the sleep must be doing something good, otherwise worse sleep would not equal worse symptoms.

So are there people who feel no worse with no sleep, as if having sleep makes no difference. Or maybe they are referring to bad sleep causing problems. But then, why not just say so. The idea of insomnia and broken sleep makes more sense.

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I don't have insomnia, and most of the time I don't have broken sleep. When I wake up in the morning I can't say I feel tired, because I don't. However, it doesn't matter how much sleep I get, I still wake up in the morning feeling very unrefreshed and very exhausted and this feeling lasts all day long.

If I have a night where I don't sleep well, then the next day I am tired in addition to being the usual exhausted.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

insomnia. For the last 30 years have had trouble sleeping. Am generally awake most or all
    of the night. Even when I sleep, I do not wake up refreshed, energized, raring to go, or full
    of energy.

Just kinda drag around. Hard to find enough energy to make a sandwich.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I definitely have a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep....more so the earlier I try to go to bed (for me anything before 2AM is early, but often my body does not want to sleep at all until about 7AM)....when I get up, though, getting sleep (even very broken sleep) does make me feel better than not getting any sleep (but it does not leave me feeling like I got a good night's rest).....so I think I know what you mean......for me, 12 hours of rotten sleep (unrefreshing sleep) is still way better than not getting sleep at all......when they say that sleep is unrefreshing, they mean that we wake up still feeling exhausted bc we have not ever gotten into the stages of sleep that are restorative.....I'm not sure if this is explaining it any better?
  5. toddm

toddm New Member

Many times we don't we're not sleeping, our only sign is waking up just as tired as we went to bed. My sleep study found I fall asleep fast, sleep all night, but 19 times an hour get knocked out delta sleep back into alpha sleep. So even though I never wake up, I never get the restoritive value from sleep I should. I'm sure there are many others out there with this type of sleep.
  6. jesfms

jesfms New Member

i definitely get a fresher sleep with ambien...but tire easily by 2 pm
  7. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

Andrew and Nink,
    I didn't think there was any doubt that quality of sleep is a major, major, reason for fatigue. Also insomnia is very real - laying awake in the dark of the night without even a trace of sleepiness - this can go on for hours, probably drugs are the only real way to combat this.

When one is unable to truly exercise, especially a walk around the block in the late afternoon - how do we then get tired enough to sleep. If we do not get Delta sleep it's not possible to function throughout the next day without rest (or drugs) - how many people who need to work are drugged up on "this and that" to get through the day.

The body needs Delta sleep to "repair" itself and I can't see anyone beating this disorder until they can get a proper sleep - and is that "putting the cart before the horse??"

I experiment with various supplements to this end and quite often have insomnia as a result. High grade Magnesium, Camomile Tea, Baths, but am still trying.

Can't quiote believe that people can function OK with bad sleep.
    Cheers TN
  8. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Unrefreshing sleep means that you are able to sleep but you are still tired when you
    wake up. Many people with CFS and Fibromyalgia have problems with sleep.
    If they don't get quality sleep it makes their symptoms worse.
  9. Jordane

Jordane New Member

My Dr and Phiso Dr., both told me that almost all the patients they see have one form or another of sleep depravation.
    I am tired all the time,a little...a lot...very bad... depends on the day, but is never *not* there. I also wake up a LOT in the night, started doing some weird stuff too.
    When I put my arm up to scratch, during the night, it stays up...doesn't fall back down, my hubby puts it down if he wakes up, but it usually back up soon after.
    The talking I do in my dreams to someone...I say out loud..if I am reaching for something in my dream...I do it for real.
    So I don't get much sleep, or rest.

Take Care!!
  10. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Andrew, in short it varies from person to person. I can have no sleep and sometimes I can function for a while the next day without feeling like needing to sleep, the next night I may get 2 hours sleep and still be able to function albeit at a reduce level. Night 3 I have 0 (zero) hours sleep, as a result of not being able to fall asleep, and then sleep deprevation noticably affects my entire body big time. Similarly I can have 8 hours sleep and be all but dead to the world around me, but then again I have classic insomnia.