Unsatisfied with results of Savella... anyone else unsatisfied (only)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fight4acure, Jan 18, 2010.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'm ONLY asking for UNSATISFIED people of this medicine, as I'm sure it is helpful for some. Thanks!

Please let me know that I'm not the only soul out there who cannot take this medicine but has FMS/CFS/MPS/ & possible Lyme's disease (all of which I've been diagnosed).

I've had severe migraines, vomitting up in my throat, horrible convulsions that I bit my tongue and that woke me up from sleeping, feels like a vice is crushing my head or that it is about to burst. My teeth have been clenched so much due to the pain this med is causing to my head. My mood changed a little oddly. My lungs hurt more too, the more I breathed in deeply. I cannot handle this pain anymore, so I'm going off them. I was hoping they would help, and it helped like 5% of my pain, THAT'S IT!!!! Then the relief would go as fast as it came on. It's like my body is Haiti, and only a few people are getting water, but the rest is suffering so bad. That's how bad my body hurts. My shoulders and neck pain just traveled elsewhere in my body, as it numbed out only a tiny bit of my pain for only a few hours. And my muscles never relaxed due to the amount of pain I still have. I'm sooooooooooooo angry at my doc but have to talk to him like he has A BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I hope I'm not the only one, and please do not respond if you have good experiences, as I'm only asking for those who can relate, not sympathize with the problems with Savella, specifically. Anyone else?

Actually I wish I was the only one who has problems with this med. No one else should go through this torture. And I'm tired of having to not get pain relief. My doctor doesn't listen to me anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fight :) (I smile because I can, not because I'm happy, but because I want to be happy, and I'm a fighter. I will be happy when my body doesn't feel like it is now.)

P.S. Other symptoms of this Savella that I have/had is that my heart races up to 130bpm, even after an hour or two of laying in my bed. And another bad symptom is short term memory impairment. I've been forgetting so many things since I've started on the med, and my memory wasn't as good when I started, but it trippled in severity. This med made me feel anxious as well and I couldn't make up my mind on things, nor could I feel right emotionally. Plus, I've always had ringing in the ears, but maybe a few times a week, or at most, once a day. But with this med, my ears were ringing on and off, several times each day. Drove my head, which was already hurting so bad, crazy. Nothing like adding more fuel to the fire. Oh, and another difficult symptom is one I deal with daily, but it was 5 times worse than usual, that is muscle spasms, twitches and convulsions. When I tried to relax, nothing helped. When I did get to sleep, I slept way too much, and when I was awake, I was way too tired to do much of anything. Now I've had insomnia all night due to the migraines and trying to alleviate it and relax once again. I took some meds to help it, but it wasn't that Savella. A few pain meds, 1 Flexeril, 1 Lyrica, and 4 - 200 mg of Ibuprofen. My head took an hour before the above meds kicked in to give me relief of this horrible migraine. I will have to take more meds 4 hours from now, that is, unless I get back to sleep, which I doubt I will as I don't want to chomp on my tongue again during a convulsion due migraine pain and muscular problems due to taking the Savella.

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2010]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I had high hopes for Savella. I threw up everyday for 5 days. If I wasn't throwing up, I had burning unbearable nausea. Could not put another pill in my mouth.
    It's a bummer because for those that it works for, it can be really great. I almost hate saying how bad the side effects can be because it might stop someone from trying it when they might not have any side effects.
    I still say, try it. You never know and you can stop it if it doesn't work for you.

I'm sorry you had such bad side effects!!
  3. MamaT1967

MamaT1967 New Member

Savella for 1 month and was almost crazy (crazier, according to my family) by the time I weaned myself off. I would either get very mad at the drop of a hat or cry for no reason, sometimes for days. And there was no positive effect at all.
  4. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I gave Savella a fair try. Was on it for about 5 months. The first 3 months it really did reduce my pain and I slept well. But, I suffered with profuse sweating. So profuse that showering the sweat off was a full-time job. All I could accomplish in a day was showering and changing clothing. It was pretty bad.

After 3 months the pain relief stopped working. My depression increased and my doctor didn't know what to put me on for depression because you cannot take SSRI's for depression when you take Savella.

I went off the troublesome Savella and onto Cymbalta. It seems to have been the right choice for me.

Sorry you had to go through all this.

5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thank you for sharing this, letting me know I am not alone. I finally got to sleep around 7:30 a.m., because I had insomnia due to the pain. It seemed like the pain increased 3 times worse than what it was before ever trying the med, after going off the med last night. Anyway, I woke up around 1:30 p.m. today, a half hour ago, and my head doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it did when I typed this post last night. Finally some relief! I do have a minor headache that is constant but when I get a migraine from you know where then I know it is either a bad infection or a bad reaction to a medicine.

I've tried Cymbalta before, for a day and the med had such adverse reactions on the first pill that I never took a second one.

I wish I was different in that I could be one of group that can handle these type of meds. I am glad that they help for some who suffer here so dearly.

(Note to those reading this who haven't tried this med: Don't be afraid to try anything that might help you out, as I was brave and tried this med. Not everyone has the same reaction to medicines as I or others who have posted here have.)

Well, I'm going to relax a bit before my mother comes over to help me clean and get me introduced to SSD filing online.

Thank you for trusting me enough to relate to my story. Hopefully we can find that meds (without horrible side effects in some who have tried it) in the future will help a variety of people, not just a small group.

Fight :)

P.S. Please do not feel afraid to post. Sharing our stories helps out so many people in this support group and online. I found only a few stories about bad side effects of Savella, which is why I posted this, because it seemed like not many were discussing it.

The med research study said that it helped 1 out of every 12 patients. So I guess I don't feel so bad about that.

Hopefully, my body will be back to it's crazy-old-self in no time. Love ya!

P.S. I called into my doc's nurse voice mail and left a message there. I'm sure she'll be calling me back wondering what the adverse side effects were. I'll see what med my doc has as an alternative and will share it on here, with you all.[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2010]
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

My oldest daughter who is 37 also has fibro. She tried Savella and had terrible results. My memory is so bad that I can't remember WHY she couldn't take it, I just remember her telling me that I should NEVER ask the doctor to try it!

7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I threw up again in my mouth today while talking with my mother, as she come over to visit. I'm so tired of this med. It's taking so long to wear off. My head hurt so severely that I almost went and got a pain shot that the doc told me to go get. But, nobody could give me a ride there, as the doc specifically told me that I cannot drive home after receiving the shot. I've never had a shot before for pain, but I was more than ready to have it after the migraine from you know where after taking Savella for a week. I had to go off it. It did little good for me. I hope I don't get another one of those migraines, as I ... nevermind. I just cannot handle it anymore, to say the least. Those are so bad that I'd rather have kidney stones the size of a tennis ball.

Your daughter is similar in genetics, so if she had really bad effects, I'm guessing you will as well.

Well, time for bed, as my kitty is scratching at the bedroom door, wanting me to go back to the bedroom.

8. chris350

chris350 New Member

I threw up and stayed Nauseated the whole time I took Savella. I can say with 100% certainty that cymbalta works much better than Savella for me. I am not suffering with severe exhaustion.
  9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Thanks for sharing Hon! I was throwing up in my throat and mouth all of the time, but luckily I was able to swallow before it came shooting out in the living room and a few times in the bedroom and on the stairways. And, when I exercised, I felt three times as bad on the med than without it. Why do docs give medicines when they haven't tested our serotonin and dopamine levels to see if we really need the medicine? I wish they'd just find a solution rather than putting a bandaid on a pussy-infected wound.

I'm glad the Cymbalta works for you! I took one pill and it made me ill, so I never tried it out after that. I'm thinking my levels of serotonin are just fine, but leave it to my doc not to listen to me. Sometimes he can be such a bozo!

Well, I'm glad this med helps some, I'm so frustrated that they don't try to test our levels before giving us medicines that may or may not help us. Here, try this, ... here, try that... When will they just realize how un-scientific and rediculous they've become!!! They should be more scientific about how to help by doing more tests.