Unsteady On Feet For One Year. Why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Dec 26, 2006.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Ever since I got this fibro type illness and other incredible symptoms I have been unstaedy on my feet. Like someone has smacked me in the head 1 minute ago. No head pain...but just have to walk with my feet out and a hand at the ready to hold on to something when I am standing still.

Like I could keel over.

My condition here started with a flu and a fainting and a full body weight fall on my face on a hard floor. Knocked myself out, broke my septum, tons of blood ( swallowed blood for one week ) and then being given a 7 day dose of a super powerful anitbiotic called "Levaquin."

I was unsteady on my feet from the very get go.

Amazingly I have told "every" doctor this and not ONE has ever told me to have a specific test for this.

I find this incredible.

I saw a neurologist last week for the first time. At one point he asked me what my most serious complaints were in order of priority.

I told him...number 1: My unsteadiness on my feet, followed by 24 hour body pain in muscles and especially in ankles, knees and shoulders and arms and wrist...followed by a general weakness and brain fog.

This doctor brought out a bottle of something called Lyrica. Told me to try this. Never mentioned my unsteady dizzzy feeling complaint...didn't schedule a second visit.

I felt like he was just moving me on.

I still can't believe that I could tell him about this year long unsteadiness on my feet ( completely disabling ) and he just had nothing to say about it. It was my number one complaint!

It's like something is twilight zone wrong here...HELLO DOCTORS...I feel like I could keel over...doesn't one doctor have ne thing to say about this? Not one test idea?

How about you guys? Who do you think I should see for this unsteadiness?
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I get mixed up whether it is a MRI or a CAT scan.

Next time, tell them about the unsteadiness on feet since hard fall. Maybe you should hold off telling them anything else because the list gets too long. if you only tell them one thing, then maybe you will get them to focus on the significant unsteadiness.

Also, isn't there some kind of test where they inject dye in your vein and take pictures of your head to see if there is a blood clot or narrowing of the arteries?

I'm wondering if you had a small stroke or bleeding in your head precipitated by the fall.

If you go to another neurologist and he asks you if you are in pain so you can't avoid the question---I think i'd just make a blanket statement that the upper half of your body hurts, but you are even more concerned about the significant unsteadiness.

At this point, I'm thinking "less is more". When you FINALLY find a doctor who is taking you seriously, then you can consider telling him/her more AFTER initial testing.

You are having trouble even getting the initial testing, so I'd try the "less is more" approach.

If you go in there telling him that you have FM or CFS, I think you are setting yourself up to be judged. Go in there with a single minded purpose and see what happens.

3. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I, too, suffer from unsteady feet. I have found that for me it seems to be related to when I haven't been using my leg muscles. Like when I get up during the night, I stagger and have fallen several times. I think my leg muscles have just tightened up from lying in bed. I keep a cane by my bed to use at night because I am so afraid of falling.

In the morning it takes me about an hour before I can walk fairly well and might not use the cane as much. Then again when I get tired or stressed, those leg muscles tighten up again and I have to bring out the cane.

It was difficult for me to accept that I needed to keep a cane handy at all times, but even going into a store, I might feel OK going in, but after walking for a while, by the time I get to the checkout I can hardly stand up. Part of that is due to my back problems too, but I don't want to fall and risk breaking a bone.

My doctors don't seem worried about my unsteady feet either, so I just try to live with it. I do highly recommend you to get a cane and keep it handy, especially if you can isolate the times when it happens the most. My 2 year old granddaughter is great about bringing me my cane when I happen to leave it lay somewhere in the house (usually because of the brain for I can't remember where I left it).

Good luck with keeping upright on your feet.

Glady

4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I sometimes feel as if I am not touching the ground when I get up in the am. I take flexeril, and it allows me to sleep for 2 hours at a time, but when I wake up I have terrible ringing (almost sounds like the ocean) in my ears, and I tend to feel wobbly on my feet. It usually goes away within a few minutes, but I am fairly sure it is due to some combination of my long list of meds.

Since you had a fall, you should probably have your skull examined and perhaps a MRI. You could have a small brain bleed, or something else that causes you to feel that way. Not something to take lightly. Please discuss with your doctors.

Ingrid
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have felt this way for years. For me I believe it is the FM. I've had MRI's, cat scans, x-rays and nothing has ever shown up but if you haven't had an MRI on your head I think you should ask for one. I think because of insurance requirements doctors seem to have to wait for you to ask for some things.

For years I would just reach out and grab walls, door jambs, etc. This past year I started using a cane. I am so glad I finally got over the phobia of using it when I go out. At work I would use it to come and go and for long walks down the halls but did not use it in my department area. So people got use to me using it only sometimes.

I had to quit work this year because I felt like I was going to faint all the time.

Take care,
    Susan07
  6. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Ok, here goes.
    Seems people dont like to talk about Lyme disease on this board much but you asked a question and well...here's my answer for what its worth.

I am 32, female...a couple years ago i wouldnt be in front of this screen...id be out dancing laughing with friends or shopping. NO CAN DO these days.

Although i have MANY MANY symptoms....this definitely rings a bell with me. At first...it started as vague balance problems, id also bump into the side of a doorway sometimes and things like that.

It evolved. I now have head pressure, CONSTANT dizziness, balance problems which makes me scared to go out of the house because i dont trust my self to stay upright. I walk with a wide stance to help myself. In conjuction with that i have motion sickness problems.

Although i have better days sometimes than others, this problem is always there. My MRI was fine...so my neurologist isnt worried. He let me keep my CFS/FIBRO diagnosis i got. LOL

I tested negative on an elisa test for lyme.
    I tested through igenex on a WESTERN BLOT...positive.

I HAVE LYME.
    I NOW HAVE NEUROLOGICAL, EMOTIONAL AND COGNITIVE PROBLEMS that have DEBILITATED Me.

iM 32, and will be starting treatment for this in a few weeks.

Im not saying you have lyme. But what the hell is CFS/Fibro? Its nothing but a cluster of symptoms that is given a label by doctors.

If you do research on lyme like i did....dont pay too much attention to the early signs..you may not remember any of them...by now we are in the late stage or chronic stage...

body aches, chronic fatigue, dizziness, vision problems, mood problems, balance, pain, anxiety, memory and concentration probs, you name it.
  7. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Suzanne...sounds like me all right.

And even though my only Lyme disease test came back negative ( had only one test) I worked outdoors all my life in deer country. So wish I could get tested for this again.
  8. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

get retested. get a western blot!
    even if u have to pay out of pocket.
    worked near deer? oh my ....get tested.
    good luck keep us posted