UNUM Provident approved my first LTD claim

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirschbaum26, Sep 25, 2006.

1. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

Just wanted to tell you that I got a call from UNUM Provident today. They have approved my first claim for LTD. My doctor only has me off until mid oct, and that is what they will send me a check for. They asked if I planned to return to work then...and when I said no, that I still was not back on the Humira, AND that I would mostly likely be having a hysterectomy, she got a bit peeved and wanted me to give her all the info on that doctor, as she did not have any records from him yet. Then she asked if this was a second claim for a different illness/condition. I said that the doctors would have to determine that, as I did not know if RA can cause pre-cancer, cancer, or whatever else is going on with me.

Looking forward to what comes next.

Ingrid

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2006]
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Expect nothing but peevishness from them.

I have had an experience with UNUM, and if I were you, I would clarify whether it is legal to record calls in your state, and if it is, RECORD YOUR CONVERSATIONS WITH THE, YOU MAY NEED THEM.

I had one of their people go ballistic on me and they told me I should have lied on a SWORN STATEMENT TO continue my professional license.

My state permits calls to be recorded, as long as ONE party to the call knows it is being recorded, and there is no burden upon one to alert the other individual. Since they had this disclaimer about your call may be recorded, I felt more than justified.

When I called them back to complain about this, THEY LIED, AND I THEN INFORMED THEM THAT I HAD RECORDED ALL THEIR CALLS BACK A LONG, LONG WAY AND THEY WERE LYING YOU KNOW WHATS AND TOLD THEM TO NEVER, EVER CALL ME AGAIN.

ONly to communicate in writing, and I ALWAYS SENT EVERYTHING TO THEM CERTIFIED OR REGISTERED.
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear TXFMMOM:

I have made notes on every conversation I have had with them, and they have even sent me the wrong forms, sent the wrong forms to the wrong doctors, etc. They say that they are recording the calls, but I am fairly sure that I cannot record the phone calls here in CA without their knowledge. I will check.

Thanks for the heads up. They are a bit cumbersome to deal with, and we used to have LTD through our company directly for the first year.

Ingrid