up and down so quick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by s--raquel, Sep 26, 2006.

1. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Hello...Does anyone else change moods completely with their
    ups and downs?

When I crash...I become a different person.I avoid people and can't seem to handle even the smallest social situations.

This is opposite of my normal mood. I love visiting and
    spending time with family and friends usually.

My family has said my voice, expressions, EVERYTHING about
    me seems to change. My aunt even mentioned bi-polar.

These ups and downs can come and go almost weekly sometimes
    but usually less often.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm loosing myself for days/weeks at a time and don't know how to stop?help it!!

p.s. I have been diagnosed with depression but my Psychiarist says I am not Bi-polar...

Thanks for any info!
    s. raquel
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

sraquel:

I know my flares change my general feeling of well-being.
    I try to avoid the flares.

nyrofan
  3. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

I used to just feel generally bad also. And sometimes I know I have avoided social situations so I don't have to
    explain why/how I hurt...but something different is going
    on and my personality just seens to go away...The pain is
    bad enough...and i'm learning more and new ways to treat my
    pain...but this mood thing is really bothering me...I just
    seem to turn into someone else...and im a stranger to myself and family....
    s. raquel
  4. redhowdy222

redhowdy222 New Member

s.raquel, I think this is quite normal to have the depression with the crash. I mean, who doesn't? One minute you fell half human and the next you feel terrible again. It is very hard emotionally to deal with that. I don't know if you are able to do any reading, but reading in the Bible has really helped me alot. I love to read in Psalms. David wrote most of them, and he goes through a lot of ups and downs also. It is just refreshing to hear how he gets through it. God has helped me get through these "down" times and I pray that this will help you too.
    Cyndee
  5. sascha

sascha Member

it's sort of a jekyll and hyde thing going on- when i am up over my threshold, i love seeing people, being out, doing things. then within minutes, i can fall below that functioning threshold, and people's conversation is unbearable- even just one person. it's all too much and i must withdraw.

one time i was driving in my car, feeling great. i took physical inventory- everything checked out just fine. head, stomach, body, legs- everything felt good. my mood was bright and happy. then, within minutes, i notices, whoops, my mood was shot, i felt anxious, stressed, blue- and again i took physical inventory- and lo and behold, all things that just a short time before had felt just fine, now were in noticeably uncomfortable to painful states. how astonishing is that???!!

which tells me, my systems crash and my spirits can't help but follow. it's really bizarre how immediate and direct the correlation.

so what's our answer- i guess to try to raise our threshold up tiny bit at a time so that our crashing is not such an immediate function. and how do we do that- well, that is what i continually am exploring- through a bit of exercise, good food regimen, staying away from stress and distress as much as i can. it's a constant work in progress.

but i sure share your experience- best from sascha
  6. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Thanks for posting back...I'm so sorry you're feeling the way you are...I was there 2 weeks ago...But you will feel
    better...and I promise you are not alone! Trying to explain
    to your friends can make you feel even more alone sometimes...you feel lonely, but aren't able to be with them either! BUT...you have to take care of yourself and
    guilt is a REAL downer, so try not to go there!

Be good to yourself and know you will feel better again!!

7. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Redhowdy, Thanks for your post...yes the Lord is the one
    thing I can turn to when I'm completely down...and any other time also...It's neat you mentioned this though b/c
    It's been on my heart to spend more time in the Bible...I
    feel so close to him in spirit and prayer...but I need to
    feed myself more with scripture! Thanks again for the
    post...
    s.raquel
  8. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

what a good way to explain it..."when our system crashes, our spirits can't help but follow"...I'm going to copy and
    remember this! I'm glad to here it's not just me, but sad also b/c you have the same problems!! I know when a "down"
    hits me fast...it feels like IT IS knocking the spitit right out of me!!!So that's probably alot of me feeling like i'm loosing myself! When i'm up and going and feeling my best...I sometimes think it will just keep being that good always and then...Bam!!!
    Thanks for posting...
    s.raquel
  9. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

s--raquel
    I know just how you feel. The other day my husband said a dear friend of mine called and I chould call her back. I said no he gaveme a a strange look. I sure she getting tiered of hearing everything about my pain. I just want to be left alone when I hurt bad.
    Hope you get better soon
    Bless you Angel
  10. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I spend each day in bed prob 90% of the time now. I have been having a bad flare for many weeks. 3 years after my diagnosis I had a flare so bad I was bedridden in agony for almost 2 years...needed help to get to bathroom, food etc. But I feel as if the person that was me is gone. I really don't know who or what I am.A good day is rare now. My family makes comments like "when you are in pain you are different...mean" which means I dont get up and do everything for them. Sorry I am not alone feeling this way. Gentle Hugs to all.....
  11. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Yes s. raquel I am the same. I have highs and lows. I have come to worry about the highs as much as the lows.

I think when we have a good day we are so relieved to be feeling better that it is almost like a high emotionally. If I have 2 days in a row like this I start to think maybe I am getting better.

I know this is silly, I have been sick for so long but hope springs eternal.

Then when the pain comes back I crash. I get very pale, feel extremely emotional, it hurts to even hold my head up and thinking is extremely difficult. It takes all my energy just to exist.

I try very hard to stay somewhere in the middle. No extreme highs or lows. For me this means I have to isolate myself as socializing seems to be extremely hard on me.

But it is a lonely existence.

hugs Redwillow
  12. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Redwillow, thanks for posting. It helps knowing it's not just me...BUT I also hate to hear others going thru it!Im
    shooting for that in the middle...but I get almost giddy on my good days so I usually do too much!But i'm thankful to have good days!It's just such an extreme between the ups and downs sometimes that I've gotten scared.Reading the board has helped sooo much though...so far i've been able to see others with every symptom/problem that i've posted.Lots of good advice and comforting words too!
    Thanks again!Hugs back to you...
    s.raquel

P.S. Your Labs are really beautiful...I bet they are sweet hearts!
  13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

It is such a relief to find out that you are not the only one with weird symptoms.It seems like this is the only place where I fit in.

I too get giddy some times but have noticed that a crash comes afterwards. It usually comes with doing a lot of socializing and of course it is so nice to have someone to talk to that I overdo.

Yes my labby's are wonderful. The yellow one is sleeping at my feet right now. He is my faithful shadow. They are both excellent company. I have always had a dog and can't imagine life without one.

hugs Redwillow
  14. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

I know what you mean about your pups...I have two myself.(pups,not labs). They are a constant comfort to me...they love me no matter what! They actually like when I'm stuck in bed, they get to sleep with me all day and night then! I swear they know when I'm really down...My male especially...he was born "old and wise",never really was a playful puppy,just my snuggler and lap warmer from day 1. Now my girl...she's a perpetual puppy...full of energy and mischief!!! Her name is Lucy, but we often refer to her as "lucy-fur". A little play on words that describes her ornery,devilish behavior!! I'll try to put a photo up of them...I have plenty!!!!ha

Didn't mean to post so much...
    hugs back...
    s.raquel
  15. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi again!

I love hearing about your dogs! Lucy fur is too funny!

Our black lab Murphy's full name is Murphy's Law. Because with this dog anything can and will go wrong! She is our walking stomach that will eat anything!

hugs Redwillow