up Date on Carebelle lots of changing Doctor Stopping all meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Aug 8, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

My Doctor is taking me off the Effexor Cold Turkey

I have mixed feelings it did give me energy.

Now they think that it may be why I have been throwing up. So I am to stop everything and come in to see him on Wed next week to talk about a different Antidepressant .

I'm a little scared because in the past I had mental problems where I heard voices and stuff. A Schizophrenic episode ( but Doc says, I'm not a schizophrenic)and I was very up set and paranoid with fear.

I am willing to try this Thank goodness my husband is home with me this month if anything starts to go wrong.

I am praying that maybe I can just get off meds for a while and clean my body out good. But I am scared

Anyhow I'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers .I may go through some confusion so I might just try to read and not answer things for a while til I am myself.

I have been watching when people post about Effexor and withdrawal .Since I am already throwing up what else should I watch for? If I stop it now, how long til the throwing up stops?

2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi Carebelle,

No advice, just best wishes and prayers.

Hope you get better soon. You have been a great support to all of us.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Sue in Ontario

3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I haven't even gotten past your first sentence.

IS YOUR DOCTOR NUTS????

SERIOUSLY?

What dosage are you on? Hang on let me go back up and read if you put that in there.

Okay how many mg's are you on a day? This is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard!!!!!

This is a very dangeroud antidepressant to "just stop". Even slowly tapering off of it can cause some significant withdrawal symptoms.

I just can't believe what I am reading.

OMG!

((HUGS))

How are you feeling so far?

kate
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I've been on 150 mg and a 75mg taken together once in the morning I think for about a month .
    But Ive been sick to my stomach about two weeks and throwing up for over a week. So I need it out of my system ASAP specially if that's whats making me sick.

I only took the 150mg this morning. He just wants it out of my system asap I guess.I will try the cold turkey tomorrow and well Ive been throwing up so I might as well be getting off of it.

Since the meds are what they think has caused my nipple to bleed then maybe that will stop to if I get off of everything.

I always feel like I'm Da... if I do and Da... if I don't

So this time I want to get off of it to .

I have such horrible pain behind my right breast into my shoulder blade .If this does not stop I will be going in to the doc tomorrow. And yes this is my right breast that has been bleeding for months now.

He did say if I have any problems to go to the local emergency room.

5. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Has your doctor done any breast exams or ultrasounds on your breasts?

This is a side effect I have never heard of before.

Your symptoms worry me that it may be something else. What kind of tests have they run on you?

kate
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Call your pharmacist and ask the recommended taper schedule for this drug.
    I recently read many doctors are switching their patients from Effexor to Prozac and tapering them off Prozac because the Prozac's half life is much longer making it
    much easier to taper off of.
    I know you can get very sick stopping Effexor, even tapering because it has a very short "half life".
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Carebelle!!!!

OMG! I thought the same thing as Katemac when I read your post! Quitting Effexor cold turkey? Is he nuts?

It REALLY concerns me about your nipple bleeding. I know you've posted about it before and that is just NOT NORMAL!!!! But, it also should not have anything to do with you taking Effexor.

I'm SO glad your hubby is home with you this week! Please take care of yourself sweetie. Try to keep us posted on how you are doing.

We love you! Hugs,
    "E"
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  8. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

You deserve some good times.
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Please ask your doctor to do an abdominal ultrasound. With your chronic nausea and pain upper abd. and right shoulderblade,that sounds like gallstones.
    I was recently diagnosed with the same thing.
    Again, please consult with a pharmacist. I know you are sick of being sick, but that was a high dose of Effexor.
    Don't mean to sound preachy, but ask about having your gallbladder checked.
    Lastly, the abdominal ultrasound takes only ten minutes, no discomfort. If you do have gallbladder disease it can cause the symptoms you describe.
    Take care.....
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

IF you ever shoould listen it is NOW. My daughter was on Effexor and weaned off it for 2 months and even then she would have periods of time where she was so hysterical that she was crying and uncontrable. I was told that when you take Effexor you should NEVER EVER GO OFF IT COLD TURKEY.
    Your doctor should know better than to let you go thru that. It can take weeks to get off a medication and you just didn't start it a week ago , did you?

IF you have been on it for any length of time it is going to take you at least that long to wean off of it. My daughter had to be put back on hte lower dose for another week and was put onf Zoloft for 2 months after so she would not have side effects form the Effexor.

Just to make sure I called my pharmist who said this and I quote"NEVER GO OFF EFFEXOR COLD TURKEY AS IT CAN CAUSE SOME REALLY BAD COMPLACATIONS, STOMACHE PAIN ,NUAUSA, VONITING, HYESTERIA, THROUGHTS OF SUISIDE,you should go off of it slowly . For three weeks you should take half of your dosage and then half that again for at least for the same amount of time. The only time you can go off of it is when you have just started it and have only been on a small dose of 25 mgs. Anything more can cause some really bad complications for you.

PLease call your doctor back and make sure that you understood that he said to go off them cold turkey. IF it is true change doctors now and keep taking it till you can find a good doctor to help you get off of it slowly.

I don't mean to sound so Bossy but I saw what this medication did with my daughter and she was 18 almost 19 at the time she was takeing it and she was so hyersterical for hours at a time and you could not get through to her that nothing was wrong and that she was not dying. And she had weaned off of it slowely . So I really do know what I am talking about.
    IF you don't belive me call your pharmist and ask him or her what the side effects are of stopping Effexor cold turkey.

Please don't stop cold turkey.

Really worried about you,
    Hugs,
    Rosemarie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]
  11. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I tried a couple of times to go off Effexor cold turkey. I just couldn't do it. I was taking 150 mg also. The withdrawal symptoms did start until the 3nd or 4th day, but when they did it just got worse everyday, and I would have to go on it again.

I finally did it the slow way. It was so much easier. Please be careful.

Barb

12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I agree with the others (Kate, you hit the nail on the head)...DO NOT GO OFF THIS MED COLD TURKEY.....

You should try to get back down to the 75mg a day then 75mg one day and 37.5mg the next and so on...until you're only taking the 37.5mg every 2 days or so.

Either your doc is an idiot or he was simply preoccupied that day but this is horrible, terrible advice to give a patient.

We all know you have to wean off these medications and he should too.

We had an episode here where my doc made this mistake (can't remember the exact medication) but the patient ended up in the hospital

Please take care of your body and try the slow way...

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

voices? are you bipolar? they get that way as well when they are under going...brain fog right now...ah, psychoitic episodes...my ex hears voieces and is bipolar...no meds...he needs them...

you need a good dr...

jodie
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I'm ok I sleep better last night then I have in months but I am still really sleepy this morning .after I write this Im going back to bed.
    Please read my other post I do not have a gullblatter
    I am not bi polar
    Ive only been Dx with depression.
    I feel this morning like I am in a seazior my body is very very sore.
    I did take calcium plus D
    Magnesium
    cause so many people have said it helps with pain I decided to take it in case my pain is really bad.

I am ok Dont worry My husband is with me.
    This med has a short Life they said it gets out of your body fast so I am resting and praying.

I think I heard voices in the pass because I was seatonin depleted or thats whats been explained to me.
    If I hear any voices I will go to the hospital.I feel I need to do this to get the doctors to believe that I am doing what they say.

I also plan if I go to the Hospital to go to the closes one my Doc said to .which is Cilivain so that could be a blessing for me.I will not leave the Hospital til I get REAL ansewers about what is really wrong with me.

Again read my other post about my breast
    I need to go back to bed I cant stay awake
    Thank you for your prayers

I can not tell you what you all mean to me your my family now .I will get better and I will help you all when I can

[ advertisement ]