Up-Right Sickness - Not dizzy, FLU SICK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nah.stacey, Oct 13, 2009.

1. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Does anyone find that the more they are vertical (upright) the sicker you get?

I had the most amazing experience today. When I woke up in that state between awake and asleep, I had NNNOOOOO pain, or flu sickness. I can't tell you what that meant to me. I needed that respite sooo badly.
    But Oh, hey, then I got up. NOT GOOD. The longer I'm up the sicker I get. The pain increases, I get fatigued faster and the flu feelings blast into my world. I go lay down and they abate a little. The longer I'm down the more they abate. I get up and crash again.

What's up with that, is it just me or is anyone else like this.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2009]
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I had vertical dizziness. A blood test found that my adrenal hormone, aldosterone was low. I now take fludrocortisone and it really helps. I can stand up and not feel sick.

Adrenal fatigue is common with us.

If you can read and like to read, there is a great book on this topic:

For now try some sea salt, Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) and C.
    Lower you caffeine intake by 10% each day.
  3. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Bump HELLLPP
  4. sascha

sascha Member

is orthostatic intolerance--has to do with blood pressure, blood flow, oxygen getting to our cells when we are standing. i had terrible problem standing in any line (bank, checkout in grocery store)- would immediately start feeling like i desperately had to sit down, and often sitting also was too much--i'd need to lie down. i had to take a portable stool with me wherever i went for quite a time.

stands to reason that cfids symptoms increase when you're up, IF this is what is going on.

flu symptoms are generally how cfids people describe what's going on with them--the flu that won't go away.

there are, of course, variations in how people experience cfids. what you describe doesn't sound surprising to me, but you need to follow through with doctors who can check you and follow your progress so that you are carefully diagnosed.

and VERY GOOD LUCK!! may you find relief and healing- Sascha
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Both are common in CFS. Some tests can help determine which it might be OT or Adrenal. My adrenals are normal but low. And I have tachycardia (rapid heart beat) which goes along with the Ortho. Intolerance. I take a heart med for that and that helps a great deal. Otherwise, I would be just about bedfast.

Feel for you and hope you find help, too.

6. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I get this, stacey, you're not alone. the best thing is to take frequent, intermittent breaks during whatever you're doing, don't try to wait until the end to lie down because you'll end up "paying for it" for longer