Upcoming Surgery - Nervous

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeforcure, Sep 5, 2010.

1. hopeforcure

hopeforcure New Member

I have a thyroid surgery scheduled next Tuesday 9/14 and I am nervous because I have CFS and have had trouble with painkillers before (lidocaine). It makes my chest pain worse so I will tell them about that. Also have low BP, orthostatic intolerance and occasional tachycardia. Anyone else been through surgery and have similar CFS symptoms? Care to share your experiences?

Thanks in advance! Tom
  2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

No experience, but

maybe this will help :)
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I've had CFS for about 30 years. During that time I had an appendectomy, a
    herniorrhaphy, and two cataract surgeries. CFS caused no problems. None
    of the doctors indicated that there would be any special concerns.

Hope your surgery goes well and brings about the desired result.

Good luck
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

would be the main problem i would think, theres some we need to stay away from cause we don't do well on them.

you can look it up on here or other sites and print it out for the anestheseiologist to look at. thats what i did before my Hysterectomy.

she was really Nice about it and said she would absolutely stay away from anything i could potentially have a problem with.

5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I had arthroscopic shoulder surg 2 summers ago, it was a 1.5 hour surgery. Outpatient and home within a couple hrs of surgery. Coming out of the anesthesia was nasty, very weak and shaky thru that night. But I've felt worse from the flu.

I did tell the anesthesiologist about my med sensitivities due to FM/CFS. She said she'd try and keep my dosing as light as possible. I don't remember the types of meds they gave me, but there were a few on the list.

I'd just be sure to talk to your drs ahead of time in order to ease your worries. Hopefully it will be a quick and easy experience for you, I know it's hard not to be nervous tho. Good luck.
  6. AlexC

AlexC New Member

I had a laparosopic adrenalectomy last year and the anesthesia made me seriously ill. The surgery was 6 hours so a lot of anesthesia. It caused my stomach to go into contractions for 12 hours and it was brutal. There are several articles I've read that CFS can make you more sensitive to different anesthesia so you may want to research that and show it to your doctor.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2010]
  7. gknee

gknee New Member

Let your drs and the operating room staff know you have CFS. They know how to help you get through the surgery and recovery.

I had a knee replacement this summer. I also have FM/CFS. My CFS really kicked my butt after the surgery. My Physical therapist really noticed that my energy level was much lower than it should be. I am only 50 and I had the energy of a 85 year old. He even wanted me to put off my being sent home because I was only able to walk about 15 feet before I needed a rest. I had to remind him that I had CFS ad it was really flaring after the surgery.

It took a while longer to recover than someone without CFS. Just take it easy and don't rush your recovery. Yes it very probable that your symptoms will flare. Just think how much better you will feel after your thyroid is taken care of.