Upcoming Visit With Psychologist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, May 13, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Can anyone here give me some hints on what kind of questions I might be asked or will I do the asking or....let me start over; what can I expect?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ALL,

Take Care!
    BlueSky555
  2. chickadee

chickadee New Member

I've never seen a psychologist so I really don't know but I would think they would ask you how they can help you.

Really just bumping so others can see and before your post get lost.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  3. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I have been to a few. The first 2 stunk!

They just take history from you the first visit.

Then they figure out a "game plan" that works.

Some pros some cons. One word of caution.....IF, you do not want THEM to know somethign that may come up when
    social security or long term disabilty gets your records.

YEs, they can do that. I had LTD get the notes and turn around and stab me in the back with it.

So, thats my 2 cents.

wildflowers2
  4. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Just be your self. The one that I went to just asked a couple of questions. Pretty much how I was feeling, how I was handling the DX of this DD and what I was thinking about how my life has changed and where it will go from here.

When the session was over she told me that she thought I really had it together for some one who was told a couple of months ago that they had an incurable but not life threatening disease.

She also said that if all of her patients were as depressed as I am that she would be looking for a new job.

I did tell her about my first bozo of a doc that thought this was all being caused by depression and wanted me to take all kinds of ADs.

Like I said just be your self and talk to them and let them know how your felling and what your thinking and all will be fine.

Take Care

Jake
  5. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

He hit the nail on the head. Just be totally honest about what is going on in your life, what you are feeling, etc.

I don't see a psychologist, I see a psychiatrist, which involves more meds than therapy -- kinda the opposite of a psychologist. But I did have a couple sessions with a therapist, and if I wouldn't have opened up to him, he wouldn't have known how to make me feel better.

It's a good point that if you say something "wrong" you may mess up your chances for getting SSDI down the road. But isn't more important to do what you can to feel better, rather than to worry about disability insurance?
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I recently started seeing a excellent therapist.
    They might start by asking what is bothering you then decide where to go from there.
    Please know you may or may not click with the first therapist you see.
    If you don't feel right with this one, don't hesitate to try another. It is actually recommended you meet with three before deciding who is best.
    That is what I did and it worked out well.
    You need to feel a connection and good about the person you see.
    There is no set procedures, just do the best you can.
    Congratulations for taking this step.

I am currently seeing a therapist for anxiety problems.
    I like her a lot.

The first therapist I saw, I did not have a good feeling - just not a strong connection.
    Give it time and good luck.....
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

what you mean about saying something wrong, and messing up down the road with SSDI.

I think jake and meg said something about this.

I did complete the voc rehab papperwork from SSDI and turned it in. On that form, I actually put down what and how I was actually feeling.

I will see the Dr. in 2 weeks. I'll just tell the Dr. how I feel, just what I wrote on the paperwork, right?

Thank you ALL for your responses. I just got back online and signed on.

Take Care!
    BlueSky555