Updat From Doc On Lyme Test

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by greatgran, Nov 19, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I posted earlier on my lyme results.. Well I made a copy of my labs and took to a doctor that I love and has always worked with me but due to him not accepting medicare I had to change.

But I just trust him and willing to pay out of pocket. So today he calls me and wants to start or get me in with someone to start treating me for lyme.. He says with my symptoms and what these test show he feels certain I have Lyme.

Will see him Mon. morning..
    gg
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Well, I give your Dr credit for seeing that you have many lyme symptoms and positive bands on your WB.

This is what you should keep in mind:

Whomever he sends you to will probably be an Infectious Disease Dr who follows IDSA guidelines, instead of ILADS guidelines.

He likely will not be lyme literate and likely will not treat you long term like a chronic lyme patient needs.

He also probably will not evaluate you for common coinfections like Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia that require different meds.

So, you could go and see what he has to say and see what his plan is for you.

But it is very important to remember that you need a Lyme literate MD, not one who will give you a few weeks of meds and then tell you that you are cured and that if you still have symptoms you just have post-lyme syndrome.

Don't waste alot of time with him if he is not going to treat you according to ILADS guidelines.

In that case, find a real LLMD and get an appt.

You have already lost years being sick.

It's time to get better.

Good luck!

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I feel certain Dr. Chappell will get me in with a LLMD or at least I will request it. This doc use to be with Duke till he came back to his home town to care for his dying dad and he stayed.I am comfortable with him. So hoping for some answers. I feel he will send me to Duke.

Oh, I forgot to mention I had a terrible sinus infection when these test were done would that have any impact on my test? It was after the ENT put me on clindamycin sp that I had a few good days but didn't finish all my antibiotic. Guess I should mention this to the doc.

Will keep you posted, thanks for all your help.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Sometimes a course of antibiotics can help bands show up on the WB.

That is a good thing and doesn't mean it is a false positive.

Tons of lyme symptoms + lyme specific bands on your WB usually equals lyme, so don't worry about it.

5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Finally, some real progress!

I am so excited for you gg, no more wasting away and resignation to suffer. Congratulations on all the steps you've been able to take in getting yourself better.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated

xoxo

Karyn