Update--3rd Peptide Injection Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This was my 3rd injection, a benchmark where the patient's progress is evaluated. The doc told me that I'm responding so well that I will definitely be healed from the injections. The arthritis in my hands is already gone and he said it's gone for good. The slight deformity will be permanent but there is no more swelling nor pain. My Sjogren's symptoms are gone and I have no pain except the occasional tender point pain which is just like the Guai flares. I suspect my body is removing the last of the FMS debris in the tender areas. Except for the Red Tide, I have much more energy. I spent three days cleaning my lanai from all the dirt which accumulates during the summer. Before the injections, my hands would have been swollen and so painful that I would cry if anything bumped them. There is no pain in them. Yea!

The doc explained that the reason that the injections don't last from one to the next in some people is because they lack enough of the right shape of receptors for the peptides. Evidently, I have a lot of them for the injections to have lasted each time. I feel so blessed and lucky. I will get the full treatment, 9 mos. to a year, because, even though I'm doing so well, if we stop now, the symptoms will return. It takes time for the body to completely replace diseased, or incorrectly sequenced, peptides permanently.

In the past, I have done a lot of research into my treatments and reported what I had learned here. Because of the necessity for Oxford to guard their proprietary formulae for the sera, there is precious little to research. At the seminar, they did have graphics which generally explained that this treatment uses peptides to replace peptides in the body which cause immune/autoimmune illnesses with healthy peptides. What sold me on this was that it came from Oxford University research and has been successfully used in Europe for more than 30 yrs. There are virtually no side effects so the risks are nil.

All I had to lose was money, which I could not afford to waste. In fact, I did a lot of praying that I could find a way to pay for the injections. A totally unexpected door opened for me and has allowed me to do this treatment. I am a big believer in prayer and faiith. When I got Sjogren's and could no longer keep working part time, I didn't think I could afford to retire. A door opened for me then too, after a LOT of praying.

So, my friends, I will continue to keep you updated as best I can on my experience as I go along. I have been experiencing feelings of peace and well-being that I haven't had in decades. I wish everyone could get the treatment and be healed.

Love, Mikie
  2. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I am so happy that the injections are working for you! I know this disease is a struggle for us all. I have prayed for myself and others and I know God will answer me in HIS time. I hope you continue to keep us updated on your progress!

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you both sooooo much for your sweet support. I really appreciate your kindness. I'm only online for a bit because I always rest on the day of the injection. I think it gives the injections a better chance if my body has no other stress.

A little while ago, I felt a sudden rush of energy and the peaceful but energetic feeling of well-being. My neighbor described this as almost a miracle. To me, it is.

I pray for all of us every day. These illnesses are so hard to deal with physically, medically, financially, and in our relationships.

God bless Oxford for keeping these out of the hands of greedy Big Pharma. Even at $300 a pop, this treatment is out of reach financially for many of us. Even as we speak, however, Big Pharma R&D is trying to find the right formulae for RA and Diabetes. They are doing studies now. If they are FDA approved, the shots will certainly cost an arm and a leg. Most insurance would likely not cover them.

I do believe that, eventually, this treatment will be much more common and also, eventually, will be covered by ins. That is likely a long way down the road. Many of us have been sick decades, waiting for answers and treatments. I thought I had the FMS under control and was working, somewhat successfully, on the CFIDS/ME. When I got Sjogren's, however, it pulled the rug out from under me. Venus Williams said the Sjogren's left her so weak that she could not even lift her tennis recquet. I did not want to live like that for the rest of my life (we tend to live into old age in my family).

Again, dear friends, I'll do my best to keep y'all updated but I doubt there will be much to say other than my symptoms are gone or going away. It is the feeling of well-being which is so precious to me. When we have been sick for so long, we forget it is even possible to feel like this. I wish it for all of you.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Yay! All I can say is, yay! Am so happy for you!

Best wishes,

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm pulling for you too. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. deepak

deepak Member

Wow , I am so so so so happy for you and I pray this success will continue :)).

Is there any link to this peptide therapy you are taking ?

Lots of love and God bless you,

7. misskoji

misskoji Member

I am so incredibly happy for you!

Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you both for your kind good wishes. I'm doing well except for some exhaustion. My symptoms are all vastly improved or gone but fatigue is more erratic.

Deepak, there isn't much on the web on these. Most of what I found was regarding studies being done on RA and diabetes by US pharmaceuticas. Oxford isn't letting anything out of the bag in order to protect their proprietary formulae. If you read what I've posted about how this treatment basically works, you'll know about as much as any of us on it. It's really a very simple theory and mechanism. It's the formulae which are kept hidden. From what I have read, it is getting just the right peptide sequences and the length of the peptide sequence which took the most research.

Oxford is doing all kinds of research. The injections I'm getting are considered old hat by their stds. They are looking at this kind of treatment to target diseases like Parkinson's and Alzhemer's. I don't know how much longer it will be before this treatment becomes common. I wish it were available to everyone. I fear if big pharma ever gets it past the FDA, the costs will be prohibitive. That is one reason I decided to do it now.

Misskoji, as always, I thank you for all your kind support. I always know you are hoping for the best for me and I appreciate it more than you know.

Love, Mikie
  9. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I am very very happy for you. Since I tried this as we discussed, curious as to which peptide they are using on you? I have the paper that lists them by the letters. I wish you continued success with this, and really hope it brings a full remission and allows you to have a much much better quality of life. And it sounds like it will. Best.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My doc has mentioned the letters of the injection's name but I can never remember them. I didn't know they had a sheet with the diff shots and what they do. Because I have both immune and autoimmune illnesses, it was a no brainer to use the wide-spectrum peptides for these illnesses. I'll ask when I get my shot in Feb.

I am so sorry, Wrthster, about your experience with these injections. I think they work for people who have very obvious conditions but, perhaps, not so if there are other complications.

I've been losing about a week each month around the injection date. I have to stop my meds two days before, the day of, and the day after the shots. Then, BLAMMO, it's right back to my meds. I believe it's too hard on my system to be fully on and then, fully off my BP meds. So, next time, two days before I stop and two days after I resume meds, I'll delete one of the three BP meds. Perhaps that will make the transition easier. My BP meds are the bane of my existance. Even though my Sjogren's symptoms are gone, the BP meds cause some dryness in my mouth because they are a diuretic. They also make me tired and a bit flat emotionally. They decrease norepinephrine in the brain and interfer with sleep. I'm hoping when I feel a bit better, I'll be able to work out aerobically enough to get my BP and heart rate down.

I tried sitting in the sun for a couple of days and didn't notice anything but now, I am having a very small amt. of pain in my wrists and hands. It's probably too early to endure sun exposure. Exposure to sun causes an increase in auto-antibodies in people with autoimmune illnesses.

Tomorrow will be a week since injection #3. I'm doing OK but not up dancing a jig. It may be the sun or the effect of my meds. Hard to tell. The doc warned me that sometimes, one does't feel any better after a shot.

Again, I'm so sorry for your experience. I hope you can find something which works.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't think it's been updated in a loooong time but there is an area to contact him. There are testimonials from patients. He doesn't sell products. This is all related to the peptide injections.

Love, Mikie
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

how I can find a list of doctors who do these shots? God Bless and keep praying, sister!

Also, I found another site where a woman said she gets the shots from Dr Dakos, that she lives in IL and had to go to Florida for her FIRST visit. Is it possible that I could see him once to get on the shots and be able to have them done here? She did not elaborate on that but did say the shots have helped her a lot.[This Message was Edited on 01/30/2012]
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have heard Dr. Dakos say that patients can get their first shot and be taught to self-inject in which case, the serum is sent to the patient. I think by now, though, that the serum would be sent to one's own doc to inject. Why not contact him at drdakos.com and ask about it. As far as I know, there isn't a list of the other docs that my doc has. I'm sure one exists somewhere.

The amount of study that these docs have to do is huge. He mentioned to me that he has 1,800 pages to read before he goes back to the next seminar. Of course, once the eval is done, anyone can give a shot. I'm glad this woman is being helped.

I'd travel a long way, and use whatever resources I could, to heal. The toll my illnesses have taken on my life is immense. It has framed my reality for decades and I'll never recover what's been lost. That's one side of the equation. The other is that I've grown spiritually through illness and pain and I've learned to be a fighter. It's not a fight I wanted but one I could not avoid.

Good luck and let me know what Dr. Dakos has to say.

Love, Mikie
  14. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I know there is purpose in whatever God allows and He knows best. I am excited to hear you say that your arthritis is cured. To even BEGIN to think of actually being cured is very exciting. It is expensive but if there is an end and at that end is a cure - WOW!

Is Dr Dakos your doc?
  15. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi Mikie.
    I came in here to see how you are progressing on your peptide treatment and found your wonderful report. It is a thrill for me to know you are doing so well. I have always respected you so much. Not only for your generous and kind help here but also your great attitude. Thank you so much for sharing your results with all of us. I will continue to read with great interest as you share how your treatment goes in the future. Take care.

16. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I got a call from their office today, well, a voicemail, saying I would have to come for the first visit and they could send the shots back and forth and I would have to come in after the fifth shot.

I am waiting to see how you progress. It sounds very promising. I will be anxious to know how you get on with the fibro as you progress. To be cured would be...well, wonderful.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lvjesus, I'm so glad you got the voicemail which gives you some info on how to proceed. My FMS, arthritis and Sjogren's symptoms are gone. It is only fatigue which continues to hound me. I don't call this a cure but the docs' frame these injections as such in people in which they work. As I mentioned over on the Chit Chat board, I'm sure there is a whole construction project going on inside me. Also, the doc told me that one doesn't necessarily respond the same to each shot. It's a long-term treatment so I'm biding my time. Wish I had more energy but after the second shot, I did have some fantastic days. A glimpse of what is possible, perhaps. My doctor is Dr. Gomeringer who works with Dr. Dakos.

Dee, how wonderful to hear from you. You are so kind and sweet. Thank you so very much for being so supportive. It means the world to me. Don't be a stranger here. There are a lot of old timers coming back.

Leah, I hope to have good news for you so you can consider this if it will help you. You have become a really great addition to our boards and I'm so glad you found us.

Love, Mikie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this or not but ever since I started these injections, I've had Herx-like reactions. I'm having one today and they leave me very tired. Perhaps that's why my symptoms are gone except my fatigue. It's my belief that my immune system is being healed and it's going after whatever pathogens are left in my old bod. Well, if that's the case, it's a good thing. I'll be glad to wait for more energy until the pathogens are either dead or latent.

In addition, I'm sure there are all kinds of renovations going on inside me and, perhaps, that can leave one tired. Besides, I've gotten good at being a couch potato but I hope it's just temporary. There's only so much TV and reading that one can handle.

Love, Mikie
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had my teeth cleaned day before yesterday. That had to have released a lot of bacteria into my system. I'm sure my immune system went on a big killing spree. I guess it's good news that my own immune system is doing its job.

This fatigue is the same old, same old. Last time, I had some really good, energetic days and, I guess, I was expecting more of the same. Oh well, in the long run, things are improving.

I'm off to buy some new heads for my Water Pik.

Love, Mikie
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They have changed the design of the Water Pik so I had to buy a whole new unit. It's OK because I really need to use the new pocket pik to get gunk out of the two pockets in my gums. It's always something and usually, something expensive.

Love, Mikie