****Update Bowel purgative

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Nov 26, 2005.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Well, I took the Pico Salax Sunday to prepare for the barium enema on Monday. The taste wasn 't unpleasant and with this stuff, I was able to make it to the bathroom everytime without an accident! I was also able to prepare the day before, so I didn't spend the night in the bathroom.

The Dr who performed the test said that my colon was extremely well prepared and she was able to get some good pictures (of what I don't know yet).

I didn't tell them that I decided to use another preparation instead of the usual Royvac Kit or the Phosphus Soda. Next time I will.

All of us on this site will eventually have either a barium enema or colonoscopy at some point. Try to remember the name of this stuff. It really makes an unpleasant task much easier.

Here's hoping for good results.

Regards,

CanBrit[This Message was Edited on 11/30/2005]
  2. KelB

KelB New Member

We have "Picolax" in the UK - I'm guessing it's the same thing.

The way it was prescribed - to be taken over 48 hours - was carefully organised. Day 1 started with a dose at 08:00, then another at 16:00. I was stuck to the bathroom all day, but things had quietened down in time for me to get an uninterrupted night's sleep. The morning of the colonoscopy I had another dose at 08:00, which finished the job in time for the 14:00 procedure.

Must admit it was a lot less unpleasant than I expected - no stomach/gut pains or cramps at all. It seems to be the lesser of several evils!

A top tip I had from a friend, was to apply Vaseline to my "business end" after each session in the bathroom. That prevented me getting sore and having the actual act become painful.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I used the Pico Salax for my procedure a couple of months ago. I took one dose at 8 A.M. the day before and another at 4P.M. That was all I had to take. You could even eat a little low residue food that they very carefully laid out. I didn't eat much, just drank water, juice and broth. The P.S didn't taste too bad and you only had to mix it in about 5 oz. of water each time. That beats 4 liters or whatever the other stuff is! I got a fairly good sleep and was well cleaned out for the procedure at 9:30 the next morning.

I do wish you luck, CanBrit. Let us know how it goes.

Kathy.
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member