Update-Does anyone take Strattera for ADHD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BabyButterfly, Apr 24, 2003.

1. BabyButterfly

BabyButterfly New Member

Hi everyone...I'm new and have been reading and getting so much good information here...I just love it. I'm 33, have FM, disc problems, restless leg, bipolar, depression, just to name a few, taking many meds to keep it somewhat under control. After years of suspecting I had ADHD since childhood, I was finally dx with it and want to hear from anyone else who has taken Strattera for this condition - did it help? Any bad side effects?

Thanks for your input.
    BabyB

See my update on my side effects at end.

[This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi BabyB, just stopped to welcome you to the board. Can't help with your question, but I am sure someone else here can share with you.

Again, welcome to our world.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

for ADHD and I tried it, it worked incredible the first day (as did Adderal) as far as taking away all the pain, even my achilles heel pain which is usually always there regardless of what I take and the 2nd day it did nothing, I tried the adderal for about a week or so and I could never sleep on it. I took it in the am as you are supposed to and for some reason on me it made me extremely tired for the first half of the day (same thing with strattera) and the 2nd half I was wired and at bedtime even more wired, with me it never seemed to wear off and after several days of no sleep at all I gave up.

Jaci
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

for ADHD and I tried it, it worked incredible the first day (as did Adderal) as far as taking away all the pain, even my achilles heel pain which is usually always there regardless of what I take and the 2nd day it did nothing, I tried the adderal for about a week or so and I could never sleep on it. I took it in the am as you are supposed to and for some reason on me it made me extremely tired for the first half of the day (same thing with strattera) and the 2nd half I was wired and at bedtime even more wired, with me it never seemed to wear off and after several days of no sleep at all I gave up.

Jaci
  5. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi,

Can i ask what does ADHD stand for.

Cheers,

Shazzy
  6. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

Attentention Deficeit Hyperactivety Disorder. I take ritalin because at my size and weight it would cost me over $300/month to take strat (I pay for my own meds). From what I've read, besides not being a stimulant or a controlled substance it actually works better than ritalin for adults. As a side note, I've been doing well since starting ritalin and buspar (for anxiety) Only problem is one of them doesn't like over the counter allergy meds, causes nervousness and sleep problems with decongestants and sleep problems with the rest. I just started Claritan to see if that works.

Bob
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

I have CFS/FMS and am very hyper all the time, so ADHD probably is what I and others are suffering from as well.
    Luckily the Ritalin I am taking for a few years now, has a beneficial effect and it gives me back a little bit of my life.
    I notice that quite a few people are on Provigil, but my doctor has refused so far to put me on Provigil, may be he is scared that I will not tolerate it since Ritalin agrees well with me.
    Take care, Lucky
  8. sb439

sb439 New Member

with CFIDS has been taking strattera since February and reports that it does help her with mental alertness and concentration. she doesn't have any side effects. she takes 30mg a day in two doses, the initial dose of 40 mg having been too high (caused jitteriness).
    Susanne
  9. mystic35f

mystic35f New Member

HELLO BABYBUTTERFLY,

YES I HAVE HEARD OF STRATTERA BOTH MY CHILDERN ARE ON IT,MY SON HAS ADD AND MY DAUGHTER HAS ADHD AND IT'S GOOD FOR 24 HRS IT'S ALOT BETTER THEN WHAT THEY USE TO BE ON WHITCH WAS ADDERALL.I GIVE IT TO THEM AT DINNER TIME AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO TAKE IT AGAIN TILL THE NEXT DAY AT DINNER TIME.IT'S NOT A CONTROLL MEDCATION SO I AM ABLE TO GET REFILLS ON IT.MY CHILDERN LIKE IT ALOT BETTER THEN THE ADDERALL BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO TAKE IN SCHOOL ANYMORE AND I ALSO HAVE THEM ON REMRON AND THAT STUFF IS GREAT TO BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU HUNGERY IT BOOTS YOUR APPEAITE UP MY SON WAS REALLY SKINNY BEFOR TAKEING IT, NOW SENCE HE HAS BEEN ON THE REMRON HE HAS GAIN WEIGHT AND IS NOW UP TO 98LBS AND HE'S 13,SO IF YOUR AN ADULT AND TAKEING REMRON PLEASE BE CAREFUL YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT FROM IT.IF YOU HAVE YOUR CHILD ON CLINADINE TAKE THEM OFF IT. CLINADINE LOWERS THE BLOOD PRESSURE.

THANK YOU
    MYSTIC
  10. BabyButterfly

BabyButterfly New Member

I just took first dosage of 40mg and it made me sleepy and then horribly sick, vomiting, dizzy and headache for about 2 hours. Maybe this would eventually go away but I'm not sure I want to try it again so calling doctor to see if I can get a lower dosage or something else.

Thanks everyone for your responses. If anyone has had this type of reaction let me know...I really appreciate.

Thanks again!
    BabyB
  11. granch

granch New Member

I have been taking it for about 4 weeks now. I am up to 60 mg Started out with 40. I have no side effects from it, but I can't say I see any glimpse of it helping me either. Maybe after I am on it awhile.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2003]
  12. AC77

AC77 New Member

I have some attn problems and would really like to try this med. I have heard about it but know almost nothing about it and we dont have samples at the hospital or walk-in :-(

It's not controlled? If that is the case I will research it and maybe call myself in a script because I am not seeing any doctors now. I know what they say, "the doctor who treats himself has an idiot for a patient" Nevermind that, I still have heard a lot of good stuff on it and wonder how it would work in fibro fog, and fatigue? I could use a "pep-pill" and don't want to go back on Adderall or Ritalin for various reason.

I am currently on Remeron. Decided against coming off it because it really helps with sleep and to give me an appetite. I am glad the poster above mentioned her children were on it with good effect. It sounds like a great combo.
    I am glad to have come across this post.