UPDATE drinking water cure for sinusitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Aug 21, 2003.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Unfortunately, it didn't help! (I'm talking about Shirl's advice to drink a lot of water -- see my post below)

My husband has a good friend, an osteopath, who is slowly getting into alternative medicine - does adjusting and acupuncture (altho it didn't help my sinusitis either).

He persuaded me to see a doctor just outside Washington DC (I live in Georgia) who is an MD using homeopathy. Just started on the prescribed stuff yesterday.

I will let you all know if or how much this approach helps, since nothing else yet has worked (from OLE to neti pots to standard medical care).

Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2003]
  2. achy

achy New Member

The saline rinse is the most prescribed heomeopathic treatment for sinusitus....I hope you don't give up on it.

Just to double check...
    did you use 2-3 tsp of CANNING SALT and 1 heaping tsp baking soda? Table salt will not work, it will irritate the sinuses and make it worse.

Did ou use it everyday, preferrably twice a day for the first week?

How long did you try it? It may take as long as 6 months to see a difference.

Also, if you are extremely congested you may use 2 sprays of afrin 30 mins before rinsing. It will open you up so the saline can get up in there to wash everything out good.

I swear by this treatment, but it does take time. Hope you find relief soon.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  3. 2aycocks

2aycocks New Member

Are you talking about sniffing the warm salt water? If so, I have sniffed the warm salt water steam and it helps. What are you talking about? I have sinusitis awful sometimes.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

-- Water, that is... :)

I tried Shirl's remedy of drinking half your body weight in water/day plus the 1/4 tsp sea salt. Sorry for the confusion - I'll change my post's title.

-- I've tried the saline rinse, altho not for 6 months....

-- the one thing that helps when the pain is really bad (as long as I don't do it regularly) is to use a steamer with those eucalyptus pads. If I do it regularly, it stops working -- go figure!

-- and I'm not stuffy, in the sense that I CAN breathe normally thru my nose. It's just that I have for some reason a lot of sinus pressure. Catscans don't show anything at all, infection or physiological problems.

Thanks all,
    Victoria
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You may have something in your home or work place that you are allergic too. Do check this out.

I had to get rid of cleaning products, perfumes, face creams, face soaps, changed lighting,no candles, no deodorizers, and I would LOVE to get rid of carpets, but do not know what I can replace them with that won't cause me to get sick for weeks.

I try not to buy new furniture, if I do I keep it outdoors (gargage) or on the porch for two weeks, same goes for new drapeies, spreads, pillows, chairs, etc.

I wash all new clothing, bed linens, etc before I use them.

Klutzo put a new mattress in her gargage for two weeks before putting it on the bed!

If its something chemical you are having a problem with, nothing I know of works for that other than to get it aired out or stay away from it. I can't go into carpet stores, Home Depot, and even Wal-Mart makes me sick.

I also put the attic fan on once a week to get the stale air out of the house, as I live in Louisiana, and the a/c is running 24/7 almost year round. I stay mostly indoors this time of the year, the heat and humidity does a number on me too.

I cannot go into new homes, stores, or near new building things either.

WE have to play policeman to find out what is causing us problems.

I also use a warm mist vaporizer, but with a pinch of salt in it to clean the air, and I spray the house with peroxide often. It helps.

Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Shalom, Shirl

6. DragonBall

DragonBall New Member

sorry but all your suggestions didnt work for me.i had a rhinoplasty operation to drain my sinuses,they also straightened my nose.this was 6 years ago and i still have a painful nose and chronic attacks.the salt water is a bad idea even the docters will tell you that.i dont have allergies.the only thing that helps abit is keeping off dairy prouducts,sorry even chocolate makes it worse.have an apple i know its not the same!.drinking alcohol also blocks the sinuses,ive tested this alot in the past.i hope ive been some help.lol debs.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As though you have food allergies which are aggravating your sinuses. The saline sniffs do work but not the commercially prepared ones with preservatives added. It's the preservatives which irritate the sinuses.

If it were me, I would find the foods which are causing the problems. BTW, 2400 mgs. of Guaifenesin will help thin the mucus. Unless you eliminate all sals in your regimen, it probably would not cause a Guai flare.

Love, Mikie
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

but have you and the others here considerd the Mayo clinic's finding that most cases of chronic sinusitis are due to fungus/moulds. Now if this is the case for you anti fungal/yeast approaches might be more successful and ensuring your home is as mould free as possible is necessary too.

Just a thought in case current programme does not work.

Love

Tansy
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

We try to keep our house as mold free as possible here in the south. We've bought no new furniture or anything. I've also tried the food allergy diets weeks at a time, & have given up alcohol, dairy and chocolate for months at a time with no change. Have also used the neti pot; tried Dr. grossans pulatile irrigator but it really hurt.

I can be eating all of the 'bad things" and still have a remittance for 7-10 days, and it can happen any season, rainy or not, at home or not. This is why it's so frustrating and puzzling.

I am using a xylitol-based nasal 'spray' as xylitol is supposed to 'disable' bacteria, maybe viruses as it's not a real sugar. If you eat it in chewing gum, it's supposed to help stop tooth decay as well.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the homeopathy can be of some help.

Victoria