Update from Callum

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Callum, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

So, I accepted the understudy position, and I feel like I'm keeping a good pace with the lines. But then, stupid me, I accepted the lead in a short film project. I haven't done any film since 1992, before I got sick. Today/tonight was our first for shooting, and I think I'm gonna DIE!!!! We spent from 8:30pm to 12:15 am shooting an outdoor scene, with me in my stocking feet and no jacket in 50 degree weather. And, of course, there are no stand-ins for setting lights, sound, etc. Three more twelve-hour days. I hope I make it...

Not saying no to everything does not mean saying yes to everything - oh, to find a balance...

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Land O Goshan, what have you got yourself into?

I know Hitchcock allegedly said actors should be treated like cattle, but even so, cattle are valuable. Is this legal? Does OSHA know about this? How about Equity? Do you get extra pay for hazardous duty?

Yes, I remember what the elephant keeper said: What? And give up show business?!

Well, I hope you'll at least have proper clothing for the next two nights.

Try to take better care of yourself, cause if you don't, not likely anyone else will?

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, are you having a good time?

Your devoted fan

3. boltchick

boltchick New Member

I am hoping you are off in sleepy land right now enjoying some rest after that 12 hr. day. Only 3 more, only 3 more! I hope it goes by quickly. :) I am happy to hear that the understudy position is going well. I hope the short film project is close to home, or at least close to a bed so when you are done you don't have far to go. I am guessing the understudy work is in your hometown?

How lucky that you are doing something you love, that's a great gift! Hope to see some of your work some day. Keep us updated. Kim :)
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

it's very exciting but......I'm shivering with cold at the thought of it. I always imagined one would be well taken care of when filming but I suppose thats only the stars of hollywood films.

I'm happy to hear you took the understudy position, I hope it goes well for you.I hope your Mum is well too.

Well, here's to another 3 freezing cold days, I hope you survive it.I'm sure you will.

[This Message was Edited on 10/31/2008]
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Good grief !! Standing there in your bare feet with no jacket in the 50 degree weather. Brrr, that sounds cold enough to me. Hope that does not hurt you any and those hours. Glad you have only three more of those to go . Pheew !!!

Glad you are enjoying the understudy position so far. Hope it continues and as Rosie (I think) said, hope your bed is close by and you do not have to travel far for both of your "jobs".

Continued good luck to you. You may surprise yourself at how well you do and how much you can accomplish with even feeling like crap. I know about that as I have had this DD for about 25 years and had to cope with 5 kids, doing home child care & coping also with an DH's dad who came down with alzheimers. You are also vey lucky to be doing soing you really enjoy. That is the really wonderful part.

Stay well and warm if you can. Keep it up.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This is what you get for being gorgeous and talented!

When you're done with shooting, sleep when you are not at the theatre. Theatre, eat and sleep... that's it! Sleep and watch movies all day when you're dark.

Meantime... uh...

Longjohns! Between shot expose your belly to cool off. No? Whatayamean, no? Why don't you want to expose your belly on set?

If you must do more stocking feet exterior stuff: felt insoles under your socks so long as you're not standing in wet. Put felt next to your tootsies with a tight sock holding the felt close to the foot and a looser sock over that.

You're an artist. You're going to do what you're going to do. How can an artist suddenly start to turn down work? It goes against everything.

I will hold a good thought for you surviving (you will!) and hold tighter to a thought that there will be something to enjoy!

Eyes crossed
    (mine, not yours!)

7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

But I'm proud of you for taking the understudy position and really going after your dreams.

Just keep reminding yourself that the bulk of it is only for a few short days...it'll make the rest of it seem small in comparison???

Hugs and a heating blanket,

8. jole

jole Member

Good for you! You make us all proud, as usual! I like the idea of the felt liners in your socks, and long underwear. Where there's a will..... I know you'll be fantastic, as always.

Thinking about you, and waiting for the day I can see anything....a movie, video, etc.

Yes, I know there is such a thing as taking on too much, but how could you possible pass up something that you love so? Better work while you still can...time goes by 'way too quickly, and you learn very fast. You're the best! ***Jole***
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Being cold is the worst! Give yourself plenty of time to rest and recover!!
    Do we get to see this film???

Somethings are worth the sacrifice of down time. I give what i don't have to my kids and horses.
    I'm still trying to recover from two weeks ago, i went to my moms and rode horse with her and my sister for two and a half hours. That's the longest i've rode in 4 years!!!!

It was a beautiful day, spent with people i love on horse. I know you love your art!

Take care of yourself so you can keep acting.

10. Callum

Callum New Member

I want to respond individually, but after four straight 13 hour shooting days, my brain is not firing... (big surprise, huh?)

I'll respond soon, and please don't take the lapse time as a sign of ingratitude - just exhuastion (and I still have two days of volunteering to get out the vote, and all those lines to learn!)

I hope every one is doing well with the time change!

A bleary-eyed Callum
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You have gotten through the shoot! How amazing is that?! How remarkable are you?!

And, you're volunteering! You are an insane inspiration!

You will need much sleep.

You will need soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers.

I don't think you have to worry about us; we're not waiting, we're cheering!

Hear us?

12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

We are so glad to hear things have been going pretty well for you with all your project. Keep it up but at least try to rest some, if you can.

Good Job !! See, we knew you could do it.

Blessings and hugs,,

13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Was there a time change?

So the filming is all done? Glad to hear you made it. Hope you can get some rest now.

14. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am so proud and in awe of what you have accomplished. Way to go!!!!!! I knew you could do it. Also, no need to respond to all of individually, just get your rest so you can keep up for the days ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care