Update, It's My Gallbladder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Friends, I just want to update ya'll who have been so supportive as I've been going through this gastric mess. The nurse practitioner called me today when the report of the gb scan came back. My ejection ratio (how they measure how well the gb is able to eject bile) was only 6. Normal is 30-35. They are going to make an appt. with a surgeon and call me tomorrow when it's set up.

I'm sure the surgeon will provide me with my options but really, I can see no reason to postpone surgery. The gb is sick and it has been making me sick for a long time now. I hope when it's out, I'll feel better. I don't expect miracles but carrying around an inflamed, and probably infected, gb can't be doing me any good.

I'll update y'all as I go along. I don't want surgery but I am really relieved to know what it is. I always believed it was the gb based on the symptoms.

Thanks again for all you interest, suggestions, and support.

Love, Mikie
  2. nixon

nixon New Member

I'm pretty new to the boards, but I've read alot of your posts. I'm glad you finally know what is going on, Surgery is never fun, but HOPEFULLY it will aleviate alot of your problems!! Good Luck and Blessings!!!!!!!!! NIXON
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am glad that they have determined the cause of your problems and agree with you that while we never want surgery, you need to move towards surgery as fast as you can.

Two years ago - the day after Thanksgiving - my brother went to the ER at aroun 8 pm complaining of pain and other symptoms. My brother doesn't listen to his body like those of with constant illness do. They admitted him and started doing all kinds of tests. The GB tested fine and other tests showed nothing.

After about 4 days in the hospital, the doctor determined it had to be his GB so scheduled surgery - exploratory - well once they were in they found the problem - his GB was so diseased it was gangreous. It did not show up on the tests because it was so diseased they coudn't even test it. He went through a rotten surgery and recovery because he ignored all the symptoms.

What a downer this is but I thought it was an important story to tell. I wish you strength and blessings with your own surgery.
  4. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I had my gallbladder out last year...Laproscopic...Mine was so bad it took twice as long to remove it...they had to laser it in half to remove it!...I spent 2 days in the hospital..should of been three but I couldnt stand being in there anymore and I insisted they discharge me....The recovery time should be easy if the operation is easy...My recovery took longer!....Be prepared to have someone help you out because you'll need your rest....Keep me updated........L.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Hi Mikie -
    I'm so glad you finally found out what it is that's affecting you so much...

hopefully the surgery will go easily and this will be all over with quickly!

Are you done with the Red Tide/bronchitis now, I hope?

all the best,
    Victoria

PS: YIKES, if you got spammed with message notifications that I'd posted to you, SO SORRY - my computer and/or internet connection suddenly went totally crazy - not only added as much space as possible but reposted my unfinished post multiple times. I lost count of how many I deleted...

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I'm so glad that they have located your problem. We can be happy that it something that can be fixed.

I hope they can do the surgery soon. Most people recovery quickly now with the new type surgery.

7. I think, if your's is like mine, not really diseased, just not functioning well, and, once the surgeon looked at it he said it was also a little inflamed...surgery itself, was a 'piece of cake'

I hurt like crazy from the gas they put in ya to expand the abdomen though, oh my when they had me try to sit in a chair a little too soon after surgery, I suddenly began sweating, and had the worst stabbing chest pains....they had to give me ativan, lots of it. I am ashamed to admit that at 22yrs old at that time, I was screaming and crying in pain, my Mom was embarrassed, hubby--? just concerned for me I think....

Mom had had hers out SIX weeks prior (we both have fibro too) but, she'd had a terribly diseased GB, and tons* of stones, the surgeon had to "milk them by hand" out of the ducts I guess? He told her she was lucky it had not ruptured, and caused more problems,......or killed her (from infection spreading I would assume.)

She had to stay in the hospital overnight, or for 2, I don't remember, and also went home with a horribly painful drain in. She said it was excrutiating when they took it out...

So, it sounds like your GB is like mine, just not functioning right. though mine was way higher than yours, It sure made me sick..

I hope the surgery will end the gastro probs, just never get too far from a toilet afterwards! they say that (diarrhea) should pass in 4-6wks----HA! It never went away for me, but, due to meds, slows or even stops(pain meds) otherwise....I always have to be careful, always keep immodium around for when in-laws, or friends want us to go out to dinner.

I'm glad I'll soon be going gluten-free, casein-free and hopefully for good this time...I hate when I know* I can do something to at least improve digestive symptoms, mental fog, etc...and I'm only mentally too weak to do it....(well, partly physical too, a LOT of cooking,) but my brain KNOWS how much better I *could* be. I need to be better disciplined.

Best of luck to you, best wishes for a simple surgery & speedy recovery.

Laura
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My mother when through something very similiar with her gallbladder. She felt so bad, she wondered if she had cancer. Since having it out she is feeling great. I hope you have great results too. My brother had to have his out too and felt a lot better.

Will be thinking about you. Please keep us updated about your surgery.

Hugs,
    Sandy
  9. darude

darude New Member

Sorry to hear but glad you found out what it is. I had mine out 20 years ago and they also did an exploratory at the same time. Might be worth asking them to do that seeing as you are having surgery anyway. They check out the other organs while they are in there and see if functioning right. Most important are the bile ducts and Liver as deposits can be in them too. It's much easier to do now as back then I had a scar from below breast to navel and took a long time to heal. I was off work for three months. But before surgery I was doubled up in pain for years as I was misdiagnosed with an ulcer. After it was out I could eat anything and NO pain so it was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey check out my post on seeing the eye doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck Mikie you will feel soooooooo much better. But get help around home when you first come back. Luv Annie the Londoner
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am happy they found what has been hurting. Now they know and can get busy 'fixing' ya up!

My gall bladder surgery was a piece of cake! Hopefully, yours will be to. While I hate you have to have surgery, if it will make you feel better, it is a good thing.

Take good care, rest up and hopefully you will feel better, very soon..

Hugs,

Kim
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had the fibro stuff going on. i was younger then too, but i was so relieved when it was gone and my spleen. they had to cut me from my navel to my sternum. originally they said about a 2 inch scar across the upper quadrant by the ribs.

spleen too large to take out, they said it was a size of a football. normal size is like a size of a walnut.

hope they surgery comes quickly for you...i know how that gastric stuff is like.

jodie
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so glad they found out what's been causing this gastric mess.

I too have had mine out over 18 years ago...and for me it was the beginning of my IBS-D. I've finally just these past few months gotten it under control with Probiotics.

If you happen to be fond of tuna, eat it now. It seems to be one of the things that many of us can't eat anymore.

Keep us updated please...

Hugs,

Nancy B
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

God bless, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how you are getting along.

Love,
    Terry
  14. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

Mikie, I am happy you found out it was your gallbladder. I had mine removed in I beleive 1995, I would have attacks and they would come on really fast and then just leave. First one I honestly thought I was having a heart attach.

I was already really sick back then and went 2 years with the attacks, and then an attack came and wouldnt go away. I was rushed to the hospital and spent 2 days passed out waiting for the gallbladder "to cool down". So I ended up in the hospital for 6 days.

So please get your appt as soon as possible to get it out. Everyone I have talked to say they feel so much better with it out.

Please keep us posted. I just looked at your profile to see an update on Andy he is too cute. He was born around the same time my last one was born. She is in Kansas and I miss her so much. I want to plan a trip out there soon. They did make it here twice this year, but times flies when I do see her.

Take care and you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love Brenda
  15. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Mikie glad you found out what was going on!

My surgery went well and I do not have the diarhea many talk of. I imagine with all the things you already do it may not be a problem.

Prayers for you,
    Susan07
  16. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

You can hardly se the holes from surgery and he hasn;t had much trouble with his diet.Linda
  17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Keep us posted as to when the surgery will take place.....Terri
  18. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Mikie, so glad you found out what your problem was. I'm sure your surgery will go very well. It's an easy surgery these days. You might have a couple of months of diarrhea afterwards, then you should feel a whole lot better.

I had my gb surgery just six months ago. Mine was severely diseased to the point of gangrene, and tons of stones. I had been so ill for three years. Being an FMS/CFIDS patient, doctors would dismiss me saying there was a virus going around. I had to DEMAND the surgeon see me, and when he did, he scheduled surgery after the weekend.

My prayers are with you.
    ~~~Lew

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate the good wishes and personal stories. It helps to know that so many have come through it so well. My Mom had hers out but it was an emergency situation and that is what I'm trying to avoid. The reason we think it's diseased is that it's causing a temperature and because I had that big abcess in the area where the gb is located. It's probably been making me sick for a long time. Heck, except for the Red Tide, I was making good progress until this.

I think the board was diseased last night :) I also had a post that posted many times and I had to delete them.

Again, thank you each and everyone for your help and kindness. And, Bonners, the "delete" and "edit" in red only show up on your posts. When I look at mine, I also have these features but no one else can see them. It's so we can edit or delete any of our own posts but not someone else's.

Bless you all.

Love, Mikie
  20. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

you are in my thoughts and prayers, and you are right to have the surgery, Good luck and YES please keep us posted.

Love to all, Ann