Update: Milled Flax Seed helps me with Fatigue, Bloating and Pain..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Jan 9, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I'm finding that putting milled Flax Seed on almost everything I eat really helps me with my digestive process and maybe the way I metabolize foods also.

I use to get very tired and feel much pain after eating Lunch and Dinner. Now its almost like I don't know that I just got finished eating. I use to dread eating (even when I was real hungry) because of the effects that would come afterwards. Which included bloating, fatigue and pain (within a hour or two after eating). Flax Seed is also known as a Anti-Inflamatory. So that is probably benefitial to me also....especially for pain.

Milled Flax Seed seems like the most natural way to deliver Omega-3 Fatty acids. Especially when its put on foods I'm eating and it works.

One thing I caution. (this is my case). DON'T take lots of Milled Flax Seed before you go to bed. When I have done it I would wake up with lots of pain (muscle type spasms) in the mid-Adomen. Pain going from my lower back into the middle intestines part of my body. I thought it might have been the Magnesium doing it. But process of elimination
    revealed Flax Seed as the culprit.

I would like to hear from others who have benefited from Flax Seed.

Thanks!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2003]
  2. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

AJME, Can I find it at a health food store? When I eat, which has become a chore, I have pain & bloat up all the time. My intestines are constantly churning! Thanks for your info. Fibromiester
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have the whole flax seed and the oil here, but was a bit afraid of taking it as I also have stomach problems. Like someone else said, I hate to eat, as I feel worst after eating than I do before!

Will get the milled flax seed and try that in small amounts to start. I was at the Health Food store today, and did see Milled Flax, I almost bought it, but didn't.

Thanks for the information, and the warning about taking it and going to sleep.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I order my flax seed from a producer right here in the middle of the prairie - Heintzman farms - do a search for their wonderful website. My nutritionist suggested I grind it as I need it. I just use a coffee bean grinder. She also suggested starting out with 1/4 tsp ground daily and then working up to at least a Tblspoon per day. I mix mine in juice. It does have a laxative effect so that's why its good to advance slowly. She says it will lower my cholesterol and help me to lose wt! I hope so!
    Sincerely,
    Darla
  5. AJME

AJME New Member

I get my Milled Flax seed from a Health Food Market.

The Brand name is HODGSON MILL. If you put a .COM on it you might find the website and a catalog listing the product. You can order online.

FYI...the pain (mentioned above) at night caused by Milled Flax Seed might have been caused by taking it on a EMPTY stomach before going to bed. To be safe I don't take it before going to bed since I shouldn't eat anything before bed anyways.

For $1.95 you get 12 ounces. (a good amount) It has lasted me about 1 month and I'm almost out. BTW...keep the milled flax seed store in the refrigerator as says on the box.

Excerpt from Website below:

Do you eat whole Flax Seed? If you do, you may not get its entire nutritious Omega-3 Oil benefits. That's why we recommend our specially milled flax seed. We break it down for you! Unlike whole flax seed which cannot be digested, our Milled Flax Seed allows your body to fully absorb the benefits of the heart-healthy Omega-3 Oils. One serving of our Milled Flax Seed provides you with 2600 mg of Omega-3 Oils!
    Each - 12 oz package.....$ 1.95
    Case - 6/12 oz. packages....$ 9.95 ($ 1.75 Savings!)

6. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I was told by the of owner of a health food store that flaxseed oil is better than flaxseed. She said it is more pure and that to store the bottle upside down in the frig. for best results. Does anyone know more about this? All I know is that the oil is alot more expensive than the seed.
    Thanks, Vicky