update-Need advice on flea control in Senior Cat

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justlooking, Aug 26, 2008.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Hi. I have a 16 y/o persian who has fleas. I am afraid to use any pesticide-type flea products on her. Most say not to use on Aged cats. I have tried Lemon juice, regular baths, and natural flea sprays, but none really work.
    I have been using a flea comb for about a week and despite having good results in finding fleas, I can't seem to get them all. Her hair is very long and I can't get into every area effectively with the comb.

Can anyone suggest a product that is safe for elderly cats?

I have some Advantage, which I use on my younger cat and it works great...but I am afraid to use it on my 16y/o. Has anyone used Advantage on an older cat and not had side effects?

Thank you in advance for any help!

see new posting below[This Message was Edited on 09/07/2008]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I used 'spot on' Frontline (UK) every year on my cat and she lived til she was 18. The stuff that you put on the back of their necks - not spray

I think that a cat being bothered with fleas is worse, imagine how irritating it must be being bitten all the time. I can't see how you can control fleas especially in a long haired cat without chemicals.

Maybe I'm wrong though, I honestly never even considered this before and I probably should have.

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
  3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I used Frontline Plus on my elderly cats (16) with no problems. Call the vet and ask if it is safe, to be sure. On the Petmeds site it says to ask a Vet before giving it to debilitated, aged, pregnant or nursing animals.

Fleas are bad news though. I had another older cat once (13) who died because he had fleas, ingested them and became sick as a result. By the time we realized it, it was too late to save him.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I think Frontline is pretty safe. We have used it on our animals and it really does keep the fleas off. It is pricy but worth it.

5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Thank you all for the ideas.

I have tried steeping lemons but not oranges. The lemon juice did nothing. I may try the oranges.

Luckily we don't have a flea infestation in the carpets. The only fleas are on my darling persian. They just reproduce so quickly. It is also that giving her a bath with "natural" flea repellant shampoo isn't killing all of the fleas or eggs, so the cycle repeats itself. My other cat hasn't had any fleas since using the Advantage product.
    Both cats are indoors 99.9% of the time. I occasionally will take them in the back yard for supervised sunning and grass eating. This is obviously where the fleas were able to jump on my cats.
    I think I may try a "small spot" of the Advantage on her if after another flea bath and flea combing don't work. I am afraid of the insecticides and would feel horrible if I caused her to get sick from it. It may come down to my only option if it doesn't get resolved soon. I feel better knowing others with senior cats haven't had any issues with it!

Luckily, flea season generally ends in October around here and it will be easier to fix it but I don't want to get an indoor flea population before then.
    Why did God create fleas? Ughhhhhh!

PS I can't take my cat to a groomer. She would get very stressed. She gets stressed with me giving her a bath. Taking her to the vet is also very stressful to her. She is not happy in a cat carrier. She shakes and shivers and then gets these twitches. I don't want to put her through that if I can avoid it. [This Message was Edited on 08/27/2008]
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Your poor cat would probably have a heart attack if you had to give her a flea bath. Yes, try the Frontline or Advantage, if the Vet says it's okay. It is so simple, and it works so well. Long ago we had a lot of trouble with fleas in the house and on the cats. But once we started using the frontline, we never had any problems again.

Warning: On Ebay, there are people selling a large pack of Frontline, (for a large dog, but disguised as Cat frontline) along with a vial and a syringe. YOu pour the liquid in the vial, and measure into the syringe only the amount you need for one dose on your dog or cat(!!). They claim that the dog kind is safe for cats - same ingredients and all. But it is not exactly the same. I was looking into this, Googled for more info, and found that the dog Frontline is NOT safe for cats. Good idea though if you have dogs. My son bought this on Ebay for his dogs and it was a lot cheaper. Just don't buy the dog formula for the cats.

My vet sells cat Frontline in 3 packs for 45.00, or he will sell them one dose at a time for 15. Or.... check Amazon - its cheaper there!
  7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I won't use flea shampoo, I just use a natural shampoo with certain oils that repel fleas (just not so good LOL).

As for the Advantage, I have some which I use on my other cat who is 2 y/o. It is amazing. She is the one who started with the fleas, as she used to be an outdoor cat until we moved. My persian has never had fleas before this year. She has always been an indoor cat and we never had any other animals until we got the other cat. Anyway since I started using the Advantage on the 2y/o she is flea free!! It is amazing.

Thanks again to all for your advice!
  8. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've got two 100% indoor cats with fleas and I just researched this yesterday online. Frontline was the one that appeared to be the safest and most effective - it's been around a long time and has been used successfully on aging pets (but definitely double check with your vet who is familiar with your cat).
  9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Thanks for the info.

How are those darn fleas able to get to your cats?

I hate fleas!
  10. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Guess what I discovered last night? Fleas in my home. I guess I am not surprised, I kind of half expected some.

Anyway the area in which my elderly cat has spent most of her time over the last few months (a large walk in closet) has lots of baby fleas. I think it may be isolated to that area but I need to spray the house just in case.

Anyone have any good ideas how to get rid of fleas in the carpet too? I would prefer not to put poison down as Persians are very sensitive to many of them.

I did finally put Advantage on my cat. I just used a smaller dosage than required since she is pretty fragile. I am hoping she won't have any side effects.

Thanks to all for your advice thus far!
  11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

In my experience with the Frontline, if the problem is not too widespread, dosing the cat(s) will take care of the house too. Fleas are attracted to the cat, and once they hop on the cat they die.

If that doesn't work, you may have to set of some flea bombs. Hope it doesn't come to that - it's a huge chore. You have to cover up a lot of things, especially in the kitchen, then there is the big mess afterwards.

See if the Advantage wipes them out before you do anything else. Vacuum frequently and dispose of the bag (or dump the bagless cannister).

[This Message was Edited on 09/07/2008]
  12. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I sprayed and vacuumed the area last night but still had many today. I resprayed with a different poison and just letting sit for a couple of hours. I used it once before, last year, in my daughters room (her cat was outdoor now indoor) and it worked great.

I think I will have my hubby pull out the carpet cleaner and just do all of the carpets, just in case. Then if any problem areas arise I'll spray them. I just hate to have poison all over my carpets with kids and pets. Plus the smell gives me a headache!!

The Advantage seems to be working well, but I don't want to jinx myself.