Update on 5HTP users please...........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Apr 20, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Haven't heard much about this supplement for awhile, and wondering how it's working for you.........for sleep.... what dose, etc.

Thanks & LIGHT*************carole
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I just started taking it yesterday, but if you do a search there are lots of posts on it.

Today, I have a bit of a headache and find it a bit hard to concentrate (similar but not as bad as what I have felt before when starting SSRIs-which I am not on now, remember you can't take SSRIs and 5HTP!). I am going to keep it at 50 mg for a week and then up to 100 and see how that goes.

Good Luck

Sue in Ontario
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Carole - I've been taking it for about 2-1/2 years. I take 50 mg. on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and 50 mg. late morning also on an empty stomach. It has no effect on me during the day but it does help with sleep. I tried taking it at night but it kept me awake.

It did give me a mild headache for about a week when I first started taking it, but it was helping with sleep so much that I stuck it out (and the headache wasn't very bad). The headache stopped after a week and hasn't come back.

I've recommended it to a few people and they all liked what it did for them - made them calmer and just feel better. One friend had been on Lexapro for several years and was having bad side effects from it, so she got off the Lexapro and started the 5-htp and feels much better. And a friend of hers who was very depressed started taking tryptophan and says she feels normal for the first time.

What can I say? Give it a try - it's relatively cheap, not much to lose. And I'm very sensitive to meds - if one has a bad side effect, I will get it, and I tolerate the 5-htp very well.

Good luck --

Mary
  4. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Hi Carole,

I took 5HTP this past summer for awhile before getting diagnosed and found it very helpful for mild anxiety.

Since my diagnosis in Jan/06 I was put on effexor xr and only stayed on for 6 weeks, tapered off - not without withdrawal symptoms unfortunately. However, I am effexor free and have started 5HTP again, 100 mgs 1/2 hour before lunch and 100 mgs 1/2 hour before dinner, and feel myself again, yipee!! I am also taking magnesium with malic acid, evening of primrose oil, Vitamin C, B complex and 3 mgs of melatonin before bed.

I have decided to take the natural route as I am very sensitive to medications, I would have continued to take effexor if I did not have bad side effects.

Take care,

Maggie
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I took my first 50mg at bedtime, but still did my 4 hour wakeup, so tried it the next day around noon, and I had to lay down as it almost knocked me out. So guess it does calm.

Going off of it for awhile as for some reason, I'm waking up having a Lupus flare.......sweating, rapid heartbeat, etc. Have to figure out what's causing it so going off everything.

Could just be that cornbread I've been eating for dessert!! I knew it was too good for me to be eating, and I think I'm allergic to corn, as well as to sugar.

Whatta life........one big puzzle!!

LIGHT*********carole