Update on Bowen Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sparrowshell, Jun 17, 2003.

1. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

Hi everyone,

Just an update for all you CFS / FM sufferers who may have been looking into, or have heard about Bowen Therapy.

I have now had about 5 sessions of Bowen Therapy, each session lasting up to 1 1/2 hours. I have found each session to be relaxing and helpful. Each session should improve my energy levels, ie. one session - 3 days energy, second session - 7 days energy, third session - 10 days energy, and so on ...

I would find that after each session, it stimulates my muscles into working again, and I do have energy. BUT, instead of my energy levels and amount of days that I have energy being raised, the days have gone down in number. After the first session, I had energy for about 5 days. After my third session, I had energy for maybe 3 days. After my recent session, the therapy only lasted one day, and now I'm aching again.

The therapist was not sure why this was happening. It is something I will talk over with him in my next session in two weeks time. He said he is just an "instrument here, but feels like he's a band-aid in my situation - only covering the problem, rather than being a plaster cast, which eventually heals the problem." I believe he is a good therapist, and that Bowen therapy would work in many cases, but it doesn't seem to be helping in mine.

So, I just thought I would update you all out there. Not to say this is not a useful therapy - as it is - but it just isn't working in my situation.

All the best everyone!
    Michelle
    (sparrowshell)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

for letting us know!

Victoria
  3. Maunie

Maunie New Member

Hi Michelle, I gave Bowen a go, and had great hopes for pain relief. No luck...after my first session I felt like I had been hit by a train!!! It was also my last session!! Very good results from acupuncture, but took about 4 sessions for pain relief/relaxation to kick in. Look after yourself.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2003]
  4. jillsy1

jillsy1 New Member

Thanks for detailing your experience with Bowen Therapy. I just recently heard about it and have been giving it some consideration. So many of these things cost alot of money without giving a substantial benefit. Do you mind telling me how much each session cost. And, in which city were you able to find a therapist?
    Jill
    (jillsy1)
  5. sparrowshell

sparrowshell New Member

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your message. First thing - I don't want to discourage anyone from trying Bowen therapy out, as it may have different effects on different people. Definitely, try anything out if you can because you never know what is going to help, until you try it.

Well, I don't know where you live Jill, but I live in Sydney, Australia - which is where I have therapy. The cost was $50 for (supposed to be) an hour, but he usually went over an 1 and 1/2. He's a very good therapist and it was worth it - even though eventually it doesn't give me much relief anymore.

Hope this helps.
    Blessings,
    Michelle
    (Sparrowshell)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2003]
  6. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I was in a Bowen test study. First you need someone qualified it is extremly refined. I was monitered for and hr. previous and after on a extremely sensitive type of ECG. I went in as total skeptic. My 1st, nothing, next a 5 day out of my gord cluster headache, due to rolling over occipital nerve. I was petrified to go back because my head just calmed down. My 3rd. worked like a charm I got more than 2 mo. of relief. I am happy for any.(NO occipital)

I have tried just about every treatment known, thats why I am broke>>>> I wish I could afford it. I have the Bowen clinic somewhat close.

Everyone in study showed some sort of improvement. I guess I gal went mountain climbing. I should have used energy for fun instead I used it to work on my place. I was not well but felt more like me. I was too nervous it might reverse to return at that time. We all respond so diff.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!!
  7. jillsy1

jillsy1 New Member

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your information re: the cost of Bowen Therapy. I live in Vancouver British Columbia but I am sure that the cost is probably about the same......perhaps a little more. What is it exactly? And how did it help you?

Fun to email with someone so far away...

Cheers
    Jill

[ advertisement ]