Update on Brain Lesions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellbear, Mar 17, 2003.

1. kellbear

kellbear New Member

Went to the doc today who explained the report to me. I have several (over 10) lesions mostly on the left side of my brain. A few on my right. She said that the report says that not very many of them are classic MS lesions but there is something defenetely wrong. I told her about reading on here how there are some of you who have had these lesions too with FM and CFS. She said that FM or CFS wouldnt cause lesions. I guess the next step is to go to my new Neuro and he is going to do a spinal tap. YUCK.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry you are being put through all this.

My research reading has turned up lesions in both CFS and FMS too. Most of these docs are not very knowledgeable and are only interested in finding or eliminating diseases they can understand or are familiar with.

Our illnesses are neurological, but most neurologists don't treat them. That is left to the rheumatologists because of the pain factor of our illnesses. I believe as research advances the neurological factor, more and more neurologists will have to become more familiar with our illnesses. In the meantime...

My prayers are with you.

Love, Mikie
  3. popgun

popgun New Member

I had a tap years ago,if you ask your Dr. "is this a life or death test? " if not you need to find a Rheumatologist that treats FMS first if you can put off a tap I would suggest to wait if it is not needed.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have done a lot of reading over the last two years and cannot remember where I read things. If I am able to remember something, it's because I've read about it in more than one place.

At one time, I thought I would print out articles and sort and file them. Well, that proved too much for me and I just never got it done. I don't do reading much anymore, so it's been a while since I've read that.

I'm sure if you read some research articles, you will find it. Have you done a search in our library?

Sorry I'm not more help with this.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That it takes a SPEC scan or a functional MRI to find our lesions. I know that having brain lesions sounds so scary, but I believe it can just be areas where the brain is not working properly. My understanding also is that this can change if a person gets worse or better.

Does anyone else have any info on this?

Love, Mikie
  6. sb439

sb439 New Member

... by searching for 'brain lesions' and 'cfids': (from phyllis chessler).

"For example, in 1994, Dr. Mark Demitrack, a clinical research physician at the Lilly Research Laboratories and adjunct associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan Medical Center, compared CFIDS and psychiatric patients. He discovered that in the CFIDS patients, the hypothalamic- pituitary-adrenal axis (DHEA) is significantly lowered. Depressed patients in that study showed exactly the reverse -- they have significantly high DHEA levels. In addition, other studies have shown brain abnormalities. Brain lesions are evidenced on MRI. In a 1992 study brain perfusions, which resemble those seen in AIDS and in Alzheimer's -- although reversible in a CFIDS patient -- were detected. This means that less blood is getting to the brain of a CFIDS patient."

The title of the study wasn't given, but hey, if the lesions are reversible, all we need is to learn how to reverse them ... (any ideas?)
    Susanne
  7. kellbear

kellbear New Member

Thanks for all your kind posts.. I find this helpful. I am a firm believer that our diet controlls a lot of how we feel. It has been proven and I will have to find the information that my uncle sent me a few months ago, that eating a 50-75% raw fruit and veggie diet can help reverse some brain lesions. maybe these "some" are the ones found in us. I have been doing this diet. Eat only fish and once in a blue moom - chicken. Don't drink any soda. Aspertame is horrible and proven to cause brain changes. Like I said in another post, my diet and supplements are creating some healing in me I think. I will have to reevaluate it in another 10 days lol
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I dont know how many tests I've been thru before they just accepted the fact that they are there. I put off doing the spinal and I'm glad I did. Hope you decide what to do and dont put yourself thru any unneccesary stress with the spinal unless you really want it.
    Carlacat
  9. rmg

rmg New Member

I just had a MRI of the brain and they found a brain lesion on the left side of my brain and they also found some deterioration to the left side also. Now I did have a MRI in 1992 and at that time everything was fine, so over the last 12 years sometime this has developed. I have had CFS for 12 years now. You can't help but think that this could be related to CFS.
    I hope you get some answers and get headed in the right direction.
    RMG