UPDATE on cymbalta drug trials

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurts2003, Nov 17, 2005.

1. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

This is starting my third week on cymbalta. I can't tell a whole lot of difference with the pain yet but i am starting to sleep a little better now. Even though I didn't sleep to well last night, I think it may have had to do with the 1 1/2hr nap I took yesterday when I came in from the dr appt. It is a 2 hr drive 1 way and it just wore me out. I came home and laid cross the bed for just a minute and woke up when the phone rang 1 1/2hr later.

I've been having to go to the dr. every week for 4 weeks now i don't have to go back until after Thanksgiving (2 weeks). Then it will be 3 weeks after that so at least i won't have so much traveling to do back and forth. They are surposed to do labs next time to see if everything is still looking good after being on the meds for 4 weeks.

I have lost 4 lbs. in 2 weeks because my apetite has decreased. I told the dr. that was 1 side effect that I would happily live with. Maybe i can lose some of these 35 lbs I have gained in the last 7 years since I've had this mess.

2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi Hurts,
    Traveling can wear you out, huh? Glad your doctor is being so thorough. I've been on Cymbalta for almost
    2 months now and my doctor hasn't even called me back in
    for tests. I think I should have a liver test, just to
    make sure the drug isn't doing any damage. I guess I'll have to call and request one.
    I noticed a big reduction in pain, but I overdid last weekend and I'm still paying. I was feeling so good, I almost thought I was normal again, so I started redecorating my guest room by spackling the walls 1/2 way up then painting the spackling a warm stucco color while my hubby put the molding up. That was too much even on cymbalta.
    I lost weight at first, then gained it back, then lost it again. I'm not that hungry, but I have wanted to snack on crunchy foods.
    I was really sleepy the first month or so, but it seems to have leveled off, maybe because I'm sleeping better at night. I still take Lunesta or Ambien (I'm trying them both). Lunesta works but leaves a constant terrible taste in my throat. Ambien doesn't keep me asleep, but last night I tried mixing with benedryl and slept longer.
    I am wondering if you have experienced a drugged feeling with Cymbalta or pounding heartbeat (like anxiety attack)?
    Hugs, Nanna
  3. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

Being on the clinical trials I never know whether I'm getting the real meds or a placebo. I think i got a placebo the first week because it need absolutely nothing for me. The second week I think I got the real thing because I began to sleep better at night.

i have been taking it at 6:00 AM when I get the kids up for school. I don't have to leave for work until 9:30 so I ususally lay back down at 6:45 when they leave and get back up at 8:30. Now that I have started on the third week, I think they have increased the dosage. I can't hardly get myself back out of bed at 8:30 in fact it has been 9:00 before i crawled out and then had to rush to get ready to leave for work. Once i get up and get going I feel pretty good just a little tired.

I don't really feel sleepy at night when I go to bed but I finally go to sleep and sleep pretty good only wake up once or twice (better than 10 times). If I continue to be so sleepy of a morning I may call and see if I can take it at night instead of in the morning. I'll see how I do over the weekend.

I haven't had any racing heart beats at all.