Update on "Doctor Will Not Sign My Disability Papers".

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jun 30, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have good news to report. I called my disability caseworker and because they received the one letter, I have an extension until July 20th!!

Also the check I receive tomorrow is for the month of June, whew!!! That REALLY scared me.

Tomorrow, I see my new PCP. I do not know if she will sign the papers or refer me to someone who can.

THere is another rheumy in town that I just found out about. A friend of a friend who has switched pretty much for the same reasons. I would probably have to pay out of pocket but if the disability company needs to see this in order for me to be approved I will willingly do it, even if I have to borrow the money.

My rheuy's nurse called me this AM and said she talked to the doctor. THe doctor told her that she did not sign the disability papers based on the degree of my FM/CFS but because she does not feel comfortable signing any disability papers.

I asked the nurse if my rheumy would be willing to write a letter to that effect and she called back in ten minutes and the doctor has agreed to do this. This will be mailed to me but will send that as well as the information I have gathered if they say ME/FM are not conditions eligible for disability.

So things are going in a more positive direction.

Thanks for all of your support, ideas, pointing me to some very good websites.

Hopefully others may benefit from these sources. I will check my original post and see if there are any sources that are not on the social security thread and add them.

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

and I am so glad things are going in a better direction for you !

I love to hear stories that turn positive . Never give up. You can do it !

BILLCAMO New Member

I'm trying to figure out a way to send that Mack Truck that runs over us so frequently , your way. The driver will have explicit instructions to run over your opposition and not you !

Blessings ,

4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I went out with a trucker a few years back, and I can see if we can borrow the Peterbilt so we can give a few doctors a taste of what WE go through every morning!
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks to all.

Bill at first I thought you wanted to be run over me!! Brain fog, now I understand it.

However just because you are paranoid does not mean that people are not out to get you!! LOL

You know I do not consider my rheumy as opposition so much but more like an obstacle where I have to go to plan B. But then it is a matter of semantics. It is just that the timing was off, and dealing with two bureaucratic institutions. Whew!!!

Overall, I have found her to be a good doctor and will know next year that she will not sign my papers and will and have someone in place to do that.

She was kind enough to write a letter explaining that she never signs disability papers and this has nothing to do with how disabled I am.

I also think some doctor's are afraid of the liability issues with invisible illnesses. Insurance costs are staggering.

I do not know what the answers are.

It is a shame that some doctor's have their hands tied. It's a shame that some doctors do not believe we have a real illnes. It's a shame that the public does not understand.

It's also a shame that some people do not have the luxury of plan B.

Again, Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

I've run in to this brick wall myself.

This isn't as bad as it sounds , but , there is some validity.

A number of Drs. do not like to become involved with disability cases. There are lots of time and effort involved in them and little , or no , income. PLUS , there are some liabilty issues.

On the other hand , there are some drs. that consistantly get "evaluation" cases from various agencies. The more negative evaluations they give , the more income they receive for minimal effort.

I've run into both. From this post , it sounds like your Dr. is the in the 1st group. I've run into Drs. of both groups and would like to modify the lifestyle of the drs. in the 2nd group.

Yes , there is a difference between DRs. and drs. IMHO , the drs. are not desirable.....at best.

Blessings ,

7. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Glad things are going in a more positive direction for you! We do have our good days!

I was under the impression (but I could be wrong), that if Social Security sent the forms directly to the Dr., he/she is required to complete and return forms.

Of course, that doesn't mean that what they report will be to your benefit, but I thought this fell under their medical ethics rules with the AMA or their State Medical Board.

Again...just based on my personal knowledge.

good luck,

8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I nearly missed this. Great news!

Peace out,