Update on dog bite surgery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jole, Jul 23, 2007.

1. jole

jole Member

First, I want to thank everyone who answered my last post. I just saw a few of them this afternoon so will try to update.

Was at the hospital at 6:30 this a.m. for surgery, but had a reaction to the antibiotic I was on the past week(either Levaquin or Clindamycin) and my throat and mouth were beet red and looked like raw meat, so the anesthesiologist said they couldn't do a general like he wanted to because of the damage the tube would cause....so they did an axillary block of the arm plus a local.

Meanwhile they started an IV and hung a bag of Cipro to get a little more antibiotic in. After everything is ready the doc comes in and starts debriding the tissue and rearranging it so there wasn't any big empty area. He was very nice, and did do a local in spite of the block that was used, which they were suprised I could feel.

Half way through the nurse lets out a gasp and says,"CHech out her other (L) arm"...I had a rash, hives and a big red area from the Cipro. Doc says, "Now what the hell do we use??? Whoops, sorry hon". The nurse starts to move my (R) arm so I pick it up and move it for her. She says, "Uh, doc, no wonder she felt the local....the block didn't take."

I just laugh and say "I have fibro and if anything can go wrong it will". I think they thought I had totally lost it, but honestly, the pain from all this really wasn't unbearable...and most of it wasn't as bad as many of the headaches I have had.

Anyway, it's over, and unless I become allergic to the "new" abx I should be fine. They said by the time they finished the sutures it doesn't look like two lines...it looks like a smiley face! Great!! lol...

Go back on the 31st for recheck and suture removal.

Shirl...will try to find the video you suggested...or book...will go back and re-read.. before we get another puppy. Maybe we will do better next time.

Friends to all - Jole
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Wow! What an ordeal! You are one brave lady. I want them to put me clear out when they clean my teeth. I just don't want to know what they are doing when it comes to surgery. Not only would they have to deal with the surgery but also with me being sick all over the operating room!

Glad to hear the surgery went well even with all the problems and I don't think a smiley face scar would be so bad! I have a 6 inch long scar on the outside of my left ankle from a break that required a plate and screws (since removed). I always thought a tatoo of ivy growing up the scar would look kind of neat but it is still so tender (5 years now) that I don't think I could do it.

Praying for your swift recovery!

3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

you are one brave lady. I usually put a sweater over my head when they are just going to draw blood. I hate to see a needle. Sometimes I sing a goofy song while they are drawing vials of blood out of my arm.

I have to get so many injections with my rheumatoid arthritis. One would think that I would get used to seeing needles. YUCK!
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am glad they finished the procedure...sorry you had such bad reactions to meds....i did that 2 years ago and go was that painful and itchy...could not stand to be in the heat...it just made it burn and itch more...

i wish you an early recovery....

5. jole

jole Member

for all your well wishes! Don't know if it's from the reactions or the block meds that went somewhere other than where they belonged, but I'm having a terrible migraine.....course it could also be because of the fact that I was sooooo tense during the long, drawnout procedure. Just glad that's over!

Thanks again for thinking of me!

Friends - Jole
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

that you have a swift recovery and no reaction from the antibiotics. You've been through enough! Also, I think you'll have a cute smiley face on your arm now- goes with your positive personality.