Update on Doxy/Famvir/Red Tide/Guai

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is now three weeks since I pulsed off both the Doxy and Famvir and today, I am having a Herx as my own immune system is killing off pathogens. This always happens at some point after I stop the meds. This is good news as it shows that my immune system still works at some level. It is also good that the immune system now recognizes these stealth pathogens as foreign invaders. The big danger, of course, is that it will recognize a bit of my own DNA, attached to one of the pathogens, as foreign matter too. This can bring on an autoimmune illness, but that is part of the risk with mycoplasma infections.

My record of being able to go without the Doxy is six weeks, so I am trying to break that record this time. This is being complicated by my recent problems with the Red Tide. I believe the Red Tide is no longer blowin' in the wind, but it has left me sensitive to mold, which is at high count right now with our every day afternoon showers and high humidity. If I exert myself outside, my right lung aches as it did when the pollution in Denver bothered my asthma. I'm inside with the A/C and electrostatic air cleaners running in every room

Good news is that scientists are looking for ways to forecast the outbreaks and even ways to stop the overbloom of the algae which causes the Red Tide. In Japan, they drop clay into the outbreak waters and the algae cling to the clay and sink to the bottom. It is affecting tourism here, so it is getting a lot of attention because of the potential economic impact.

Y'all have been so sweet and supportive of me while I have been going through all this and I really appreciate it. I post updates on my various treatments from time to time because I know there has been a tremendous interest in the treatment for mycoplasmas, thanks to Jelly's informative posts.

Also, there has been a lot of interest in the Guai treatment of late. It continues to help the symptoms of my FMS and I consider my symptoms of FMS about 80 percent reversed after slightly longer than 2 years on the Guai protocol. I highly recommend this treatment as it has gotten me out of bed and off of Morphine. We have others here as well who have gotten excellent results with the Guai. Basically, because Guai is such a benign drug, you have almost nothing to lose and a lot to gain if you are considering this treatment.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I can remember as a child having headaches in the Fall. Later on, I developed an allergy to grasses and had horrible allergies in the Spring. After moving to Denver from Boulder, which is in the foothills, my allergies improved. As the years went on, the pollution in the entire Denver/Boulder area caused asthma and I had to move for my health. This is the first time I have had problems down here.

Today will be a down day from Herxing, but I usually feel wonderful after I Herx and my body finally eliminates all those dead nasty little critters.

Thanks again for the good words and thoughts.

Love, Mikie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Do you live right on the beach? I never have problems with Red Tide unless I actually walk on the beach while it's going on, and don't know of anyone else who has a problem unless they are actually at the beach. I do have an awful problem if I go to the beach. My point is, could you move further away from the beach? We live only 10 mins. from the Gulf, but I have zero red tide problems now, and it wused to be a big problem when I lived on a barrier island and walked on the beach a lot. Now I stay away.
    Or am I full of BS and the red tide is a whole lot worse in Ft. Myers than it is up here in Clearwater?
    Anyway, glad you are doing well without the drugs!
    Klutzo
  4. caring

caring New Member

Miki, I don't know if you remember me but hope you will answer my question.

I remember you saying you couldn't use the ZMA but can't remember why, would you please enlighten me?

I started the treatment yesterday and it's going to be wonderful to feel better.

thanks for your help

caring (pat)

oops, I forgot the ZMA i am currently using is from this site, if it makes any difference.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2003]
  5. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I appreciate your update on your treatments. I am still in the learning stages (and your posts help) and not ready to plan which way to go yet. It like the idea of the Guai to start for FMS. But I think you have to quite smoking in order to do so.
    So that will have to be my first hurdle. I quit once for 10 years and darn if stress didn't get me smoking again without my mind doing the usual "oh no you don't " routine to keep me from starting back again. Sigh...
    And it takes ENERGY to quit. Ha! We'll see where that comes from *G*
    But back to you. Thanks again and keep us posted. Can't wait until your herx is over and you get some relief.
    Ziggy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If my pea brain can handle responding to three people at once.

Klutzo, a lot depends on the origin of the Red Tide, the layout of the shore line, and the winds aloft. In addition, sensitivity to the airborn algae differs greatly in individuals. I live about 10 minutes from the beach too, but the air brings the dried algae right into my neighborhood. I have found that people in this whole area seem to be affected when there is an outbreak. You can tell by the dry hacking going on everywhere and people in the stores are talking about it and complaining. If I move, it will be to the other coast as I do love being able to go to the beach.

Pat, of course I remember you. I hope you are well. The ZMA I took was supposed to be the same formula as that sold here, but the list of ingredients stated that the magnesium was from veggies. It did block the Guai for me. The ingredients of the ZMA sold here do not state that, so I do no know whether it would block the Guai or not. I haven't tried the ZMA here yet. I've had too many other things going on to want to risk block the Guai right now. The ZMA is excellent stuff and if it doesn't block the Guai, it would be great. In the meantime, I'm taking my zinc, magnesium, and B vitamins separately. The Klonopin is giving me great sleep.

Ziggy, I don't know whether smoking would block the Guai or not. You could certainly try. Some have a greater tolerance for sals than others. Also, by the time the plant material is dried and smoked, I don't know whether it has the capacity to block the Guai. Of course, Dr. St. Amand is going to want people to quit smoking just for the health benefits of stopping.

Whew, did it--TA DA!!

Love, Mikie
  7. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

Mikie,

I have been recently officially diagnosed with FM, and am confused. Can you take ZMA and Guaif at the same time?

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The ZMA I was taking was supposed to be the same formula as the one now sold here. It blocked the Guai and I found out by reading the small print that the magnesium was from a vegetable source. The ZMA sold here does not have that on the ingredient list, so I do not know whether or not it would block the Guai. I think the only way to know is to try the product.

ZMA is a wonderful supplement. Because the Guai is so important to me, I take the zinc, magnesium and B vitamins separately rather than risk blocking it. Perhaps the folks at ProHealth could help with info on the magnesium if you were to call them on the 1-800 number. I should really do that as I believe I could probably cut down on the klonopin if I were to take the ZMA.

Love, Mikie
  9. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi Mikie,
    Okay I will not rule out the option of Guai until I research further. Thanks for letting me know that may still be an option for me!
    Ziggy