UPDATE ON EFFEXOR AND NEED ADVICE RE: DOCS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm really tired now so forgive me if I ramble. Anyway, I want to update you all on my situation trying to wean off Effexor. Last week I asked my family doctor to help me wean off Effexor. He said to call the psychiatrist who prescribed it for me. To make a long story short, her practice is closed and I don't know where she is. So I went back to my family doctor and they said to call my insurance provider to find another psych. So I called them and they gave me some names. I would really like to see a woman, so I called the one woman on the list. The office told me that I would first have to see one of their therapists. I told them I already have one and I just want to see the doctor to help me with meds. They said "no" - I have to see their therapist too. So I called my therapist and she said the reason they do this is so the office can make more money. I called back my insurance provider and told them what happened. They gave me a few more names of psychs, but I told them I really wanted to see this woman and would they call her office and explain that I've been seeing my own therapist for 8 years and don't want to switch. The insurance provider is going to talk to one of their caseworkers and hopefully this person will call the psych's office and explain my situation.

In the meantime, I've been exploring the other doctors on my list. One is a man but he works at a pain center. I'm wondering if I should consider him. He's from Russia and is in his mid-40's - if he works at a pain clinic do you think he would be pretty understanding of my problems? I've always had very bad luck with men psychiatrists. What do you think?

Annette2
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm bumping this - I really need your advice.

Annette2
  3. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm weaning off Effexor because I can't lose weight and I think this might be part of the reason. There is another anti-depr. I'm thinking of going on, but I need a psych. to prescribe it.

Annette2
  5. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

I am not an expert on Effexor, however I have been off and on it for years. It is one of the best antidepressants on the market for helping from gaining weight. I would really check out the new one you plan on taking. Effexor is highly prescriped to people who are overweight, simply for that reason. Wean off real slow. It could take several weeks. Simply cut your dose down day by day, every other day and then weeek by week. Hope this helps. Good Luck to you.
    tlc8858
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

So you think Effexor doesn't make you gain weight? Do you think I'm making a mistake and should stay on it? It's really helping to keep me from being depressed.

Annette2
  7. moodzilla

moodzilla New Member

Effexor actually helped me LOSE weight... but that is just my experience. Prozac and the others packed it on me.

Marty
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

You are right on target!!!!! It's been very hard for me to figure out this weight-loss thing and you have articulated it perfectly! It's like you have to sort through 1,000 things to figure out what is what. So, I don't think the Effexor caused me to gain weight. I don't know if it's preventing me from losing, but I think I need more willpower than I have. Even when I exercised I didn't curb my appetite. I need to be stronger in my determination to lose. It's the sugar and carbs. I still would like to speak to a doctor who can address these issues. But, in the meantime, YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!!! THANKS!!!!

Annette2