Update on getting a scooter. I Love it //KHOLMES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jun 11, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

Kholmes you asked me to let you know on the scooter....

To refresh what I posted before...it breaks apart into 4 pcs. for transporting. I wondered even so if I could handle it myself. I can be a wimp at times. But I can not afford the expensive scooters and get a new vehicle to transport. So this seemed ideal.

I can handle it fine. Lift it out of the trunk and put together with no problems. I am mentally doing the "Happy Dance"..(Snoopy's dance).

It has a speed control and can go faster than any scooter I have been on. In a store I keep it on low so I do not accidently run into someone. Turning radius is great. Lots of great features. Love the idea that I can go to fair craft shows, etc. Malls also.

Our city all have sidewalks from the street that are ramped so if I want to run around the town, I can with no problems.
    There is a lady that has one that runs all over with flags in the back. I think she must be a fun lady.

Please take a look at www.portable-mobility.com I am in no way connected to them. They are wonderful people to deal with. Mine is in blue. I am more excited than I have ever been in getting a new car or such! I feel I can be freer to join in places and will give me back some freedom.

Love and peace.....many Blessings..........Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/11/2006]
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

In the past I checked and insurance companies are strict are paying for a scooter. You must need it in your home to get a round. In no way would I qualify.

So if I had bought one that would be several thousand dollars and then a vehicle with a lift or ramp. I could not do that! I love my Mercury Sable and it is in my car trunk. Sable and Ford Taraus's are so easy for me to drive and great in snow.

But after I ordered my scooter that I just got, I have learned that many insuance co. will pay for various aids up to a thousand dollars without too much grief. So I am going to see if Dr. would recommend this and try to be reimbursed from my ins. Would not hurt to try.

I can go into some stores and such with no problems walking.But some I can not walk far, legs burn, hurt, and give out. This scooter will be more for fun stuff....
    My scooter was $589.00 and free shipping. I would love my money back.LOL. Regardless it is a good buy.

I am sorry.....I am just so excited over my latest buy.

Susan
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm really glad to hear that you're enjoying your scooter.

A few questions:

Did you get a three wheel or four wheel Zip'R?
    Are the tires flat free?
    Can it go on grass as well as hard surfaces?
    I'm 5'9; would your model be good for my height?

(Sorry; that was more than just a few!)

I have found it on a couple of sites, including Spinlife.
    I'll check out Portable Mobility also. It sounds like you got a great deal; these things are expensive.

I'm consulting with my doctor next week and she is putting in a request to my insurance company, but I really doubt that they'll cover the cost. But it's worth a try anyway.

Kholmes
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had another question.

The scooter I tried in KMART stopped very abruptly; whenever I came to a stop, it was jarring. Too much of that gave me a headache.

Can you stop yours smoothly?

Kholmes
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

Donnaeil...I really do not know how many MPH it goes, but it is decent amount. For a scooter anyhow. It might say in my booklets but I have not read it all yet.

Kholmes.....I got the three wheeler. Tires are flat free. It should go in the grass fine. Many use them for outside activities.

From what I read the seller says that recommended for the one I got.....is 5'10" max. But some 6 footers like its also, they say no problem. I am 5 ft. I think the XL model is for taller folks. My handle adjusts back and forth, depending on how you want your reach and so forth. Seat is a adjustable also.
    Has a horn and a headlight!

My sons thinks I should get one of those little round "horns" that you put on aa trike.....you push lever and it rings,,,,,,,,LOL. My hubby thinks I should get a lic. plt. with my name on it (for kids bikes) and put one on the front and one on the back, since Ohio requires lic. plts. on front and back of a vehicle. My family is having a good time making me laugh....

Basket is not large. But you can get another for the back my hubby said, after studying the book...also they are talking of making a larger basket..just a matter of when. I figure I will use a fanny pack,,,,,(purse on belt) and make it small like a shoulder strap purse and put check book, money,ID, credit card and kleenex for craft fairs. Light and not clumsy. I can keep purse in the trunk of the car.

Everything has its pros and cons and we are all different in our needs. But for the money and what I will get from this....I think it is a steal....

I will check bike accesories and see what I might come up with also. This scooter Co. has a drink holder and it is $25.00....not sure I want it that bad.......LOL.

Blessings.......Susan
  6. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

If you have a Target near you.... they have those little horns (bells) that you are talking about in their $1 section right now.

I just got one for my grandson's bike there.

Enjoy!

Hugs,

Jodi
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

Wamps you are right. When I have used a store scooter....kids look and you can tell they would love to ride. I always give them winks and smiles. Kids always lights up my life. People are always glad to help and 99.9 % are great.

Oh......on how far on a charge it will go......10 miles is the answer.

It has a horn, but it does not sound like one, but I really do not need that. Has a headlight. I have not used that yet
    when it is dark. Just played with it.

For $589 and free shipping how could I go wrong? Looks like it will be a good one.

My DH is 6 ft. tall and has tried it out with no problems.
    Ride is smooth, not jerky.

Thanks to everyone in sharing my joy of my new toy.
    Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for all of the information.

You are BORN TO BE WILD!

Kholmes
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

The coming INDIE 500 season will feature an INDIE 100 SCOOTER RACE open to all participants on this board.

The race is scheduled for this coming August. No particular day, just August since the governing body realizes it may be difficult for the racers to coordinate their arrival due to health considerations.

The race will be timed; thus it is not necessary to have all the racers present at the same time.

Racers will be allowed a pit stop every 15 minutes. The pit crew may consist of any or all of the following: Medical doctor; chiropractor; mechanic; physical therapist; neutritionist; cheerleader; and no more than two pets/and unlimited children/grandchildren.

The pit area will provide full facilities including a queen size bed w/ choice of toppers. A maximum of 4 hours is allowed per nap. Vending machines will provide fresh juice and vitamin B12 shots.

Each racer will carry 3 flags to signal if appropriate:
    Red: mechanical trouble; send help.
    Orange: I've fallen and I can't get up; send help.
    Gray: Brain fog; am lost; send help.

Best time will be awarded first prize which consists of:

a complete set of Barney and Smurf decals for your scooter;
    a wool seat pad for your scooter, custom fitted;
    a bottle of elderberry tonic purchased on E bay and said to be a least 60 years old and good for who knows what.

Best of luck to all of you. (It is very likely the winner will be asked to appear on Oprah and Dr. Phil. Be sure to wear photogenic coveralls.)
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That was hilarious!

You should copy that and post it as a separate post.

Kholmes
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i think it is there for a safety precaution so people can see her in the parking lots coming around corners and such...

jodie
  12. gnanny

gnanny New Member

You have a creative sense of humor, I love it!

On a more serious side....My husband bought me a power chair first. I refused to use it...it seemed like accepting defeat. Sure enough there were days I really needed it between my fibro and arthritis.

Then last september we went to the state fair ( I dont know what I was thinking!) An hour car ride to get there had me stiff and sore before I got in the gate. Lo and behold they had scooters to rent. I loved it. It was my best trip to the fair in many years.

we got home and I told my husband the scooter was much easier for me to steer. I am just not good with a joystick.
    He got me a great scooter and I dont have such a resentment about using it. Truly does give me back some freedom. If I thought people would look at me on the scooter its nothing compare to the attention I draw with my weeble walk or if I fall down. Where is the cloak of invisibilty when you really need it?

The amount of pain it saves me is immeasurable...not only while you are walking but the pain lingers on for daus if you overdo it.

Both of these scooters/powerchair he picked up on ebay for far less than they cost new. A lot have had very little use.We have had no problems with either one.

sorry this came out so long.
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

But it does make shopping and all so much more of a pleasure.

I know what folks say when they do not want to give in to such. I was that way for a long time and I would be in such pain and in tears as I shopped.

One day I walked into a store and could not go further. I really could not. A bench was right there and I sat down. The weakness and pain was terrible. I told my hubby to get me a scooter...he was glad,,,,he tried so many times to get me to use one.

I was surprised how nice they were to use. Funny, but you know our illness, when we went to leave the pain and weakness was gone. I just needed off my feet for a while. If I use scooters in stores that has them I usually have energy to go into another that does not. Otherwise I would never make it to the second or third place.

Friday I have a Dr. appt. out of town. I am going to meet up with a lady that has our problems, we have never met. Friends put us in touch some time ago and we exchange emails all the time. So the two of are going to eat and I plan on getting the scooter out for her to try it. Might go to a store where I can get one of their scooters and let her use mine.

That way she can get more of an idea on what she will get, as she is having more and more problems getting around. I do not need mine in the home, nor going in a resturant and such. I just give out after a short period of time. So this does help me do more.

The heat right now is giving me energy.....coolness does the opposite. We are all slightly different.
    Susan
    P.S. It can go as fast as 4.25 MPH......Wow (lol),,,,,goes 10 miles on a charge,,,,,,,[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]
  14. sues1

sues1 New Member

That is a great scooter. I would love one like it. Problem would be transporting it and storing it. Our garage is pretty full.....i do park my car in it, but it is for safety reasons, both for me and the car.

So maybe my next one or another one would be like yours. But I love mine also.

I am practicing on doing wheelies. Then I have to figure out how to stand on the seat and ride it down the street!
    I do not know if I will get to the point of going through rings of fire or not.

You, Rockgor and I (and any others that wants to join) will have a grand race to celebrate the cure for CFIDS/FIBRO.....
    and I hope that is soon.....

Well I am off to burning rubber and using my lead foot.....
    Blessings..........Susan