UPDATE ON HAIRLOSS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

So I went to see the Doc today and he took a look at my scalp and said he did see the redness as well as the hairloss and he said it looked like an fungi infection so he prescribed me a shampoo for my head but he is also sending me for a ton or bloodwork too...I HATE NEEDLES...but it needs to be done.

love to you all, Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2007]
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

At least you are making progress. Sorry to hear that there are needles involved.
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm sorry I haven't seen previous posts about your hair loss, but I used to post about this a lot, and I just wanted to share something.

I was pre-menopausal when I started noticing gobs of hair loss. I used to dread showers and washing my hair, it was coming out so much. I had (literally) every test in the book, and nothing pointed to anything that are the "usual suspects" for hair loss, such as low iron or ferritin, thyroid, heavy metals, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Fast forward a couple of years (during which I lost more hair) to me getting Leukemia. The chemo treatments, of course, made all my hair come out (now that's REALLY hair loss!) but it also puts women in the 40-50 age range into "instant menopause", which I had not realized.

When my hair grew back after chemo, and now I have a full head of it, it NEVER falls out. I have almost no hair in the shower drain, hardly any in my brush. It's normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day, they say; I doubt I have even close to 50 coming out.

So, looking back, I have concluded that my hair loss was all hormonal. I think I had way too much estrogen prior to menopause; now that I'm lacking estrogen due to menopause, I am not losing hair at all.

So if your tests don't show anything conclusive, you might turn to your OB/GYN or someone who can look at your hormone levels and see if you are estrogen-heavy. I think if I had done some hormone-balancing back then, I might have saved myself a lot of grief.

Anyway, just wanted to weigh in. I hope it gets better for you, I know how agonizing it can be to see those hairs in the shower.

Hugs,
    Pam

4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

for Ann