Update on me and We are Marshall breaks a record

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Sep 27, 2007.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

It sold more DVD's in the first week than ANY other movie..ever. I would like to hear from anyone that watched it. I am so proud to be a small part of the making of this movie.

Some of you may remember when I was an extra that I made friends with Mr,P, he was the director of Hair and makeup. His son, Damon Ivey had committed suicide just 3 months before . On that same day, Jan 6, 2006 a woman named Stella Gildrie committed suicide many miles away.

Several weeks after Mr. P was flying cross country for work and was seated next to Dario Gildrie, Stella's husband she had left behind. The two started talking and realized they had a lot in common. Their loved ones committed suicide the same day weeks before.

By the end of the flight these two men were bonded for life. Dario is a tv producer/director, he creates a show called Barkitecture. It is on the Animal Planet and is about pimped up dog houses, I had seen the show before I knew who he was.

They decided they didn't want to let their loved ones lives be in vain, so they agreed to start a non-profit foundation called the Damon and Stella Foundation for Mental Health. The foundation will work with teens with depression and use art as part of the therapy.

Since they were both artists they decided that the funds would come from other artists by means of donations of their works. Those works are going to be auctioned in a special auction, other items are being donated by movie stars, directors, studios donating movie props and so on.

I have been waiting a year and half for this to come to life and had my doubts at times. Things like this don't happen to small town girls. Months would go by then I would get a email that things were slow, gov/t red tape, etc.

I got a email on Mon that it is a go and he wants to drive from Knoxville, his home town, to my house to collect the art I have been able to procure. Problem is I don't have it. I have made many contacts and interest from people, but I wasn't comfortable taking their art and keeping for a undetermined amount of time.

So the next two weeks I will be working my butt off trying to get artists to give what they can to me. Their works and mine too, will be viewed by 1000's of wealthy people so it could lead to commissions.

So I have to spiffy myself up and wearing my orthopedic boot on one foot, lol and go out and convince them that this is a great cause and a huge opportunity for them.

I know I can do this, so please once again give me that positive energy that got me threw my surgery and recovery.
    The first 4 days were the worst, but I am going into the shop tomorrow. I sit with my feet up anyway, so I may as well get paid for it. hehe

Oh the kicker- in March 2008 there will be kick off gala held at the Knoxville Theater. Yes, I get to go as a guest of Mr P. Randy Travis filmed the PSA which will air around Christmas. He is best friends with Mr P and Justin Timberlake is a part of all this too. Mr P has been in the industry for over 30 years and is very loved. So I would imagine this should be some bash. The reason it is in Knoxville, is because all of his family is there and it is more about the foundation than Hollywood.

So wish me luck, this was meant to be and the timing is right. I got all my house projects done all I have is time now. That was something I had not had in a long time. Energy is the other, I needed this rest and it has done me good, my foot feels better than I thought it would. The first 3 days were horrible, worst pain I had ever had. I still have to take my pain meds but from what is was is a big change. So as soon as I get my press package I will hit the pavement looking for art.

Thank you all for your support and freindship, it is so good to be able to come here and share the good along with the bad- Carla
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Never a dull moment, eh?

This is terrific! What a wonderful project to be a part of! And what a worthy cause.

I do hope you will be kind to yourself and just do what you can to get the art, you DID just have foot surgery!

Why am I not surprised that you're already back at the shop?

You are unstoppable!

It's so nice to see good things happen to good people, like you.

You go, girl!

3. laceymae

laceymae New Member

First, I'm glad that the foot is getting better.

Second,WoW...you may set that town to rockin...not much happens in this neck of the woods...you go girl

Justin Timberlake is one hottie...,and I am an old lady.Took my daughter to see him with N'Sync before they split up.

good job
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Just sprinkle some glitter on your orthopedic boot and it will be perfect for the gala.

I think that's great that you are able to participate in this project. Lots of teens who need help.

5. ckball

ckball New Member

Hey Zombie thanks for the props. I do feel very lucky to be a part of this. It still does feel real yet, but he pulls in my drive way then it will hit me,

Lacey-someone needs to light a fire under this town-lol.

Rock- love the glitter on the boot, you might be on to something. Yes there are many young people out there that need help, it is so hard for teens these days. Way too many things to get in trouble with.
    They need a direction and a outlet and I hope this helps some that need it- Carla
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I had posted on the other thread about the movie, I thought it was amazingly well done.

Congratulations on your next project....

Since I have a mentally ill daughter who just had a crash, I know how important help for the mentally ill can be.

I'm so happy for you, so proud and very excited for you...Best of luck to you all!!!

Nancy B
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

Georgia and Nancy. I am very proud to be allowed to participate in such a wonderful cause.

To everyone that has not seen the We Are Marshall movie and need something to reconfirm that great things can be born from a tragedy, please go rent it. It is not just about football.

In the 90's The Marshall Thundering Herd was the number 1 team and had more wins than aand other team.

Thanks for reading- Carla
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

this is very exciting Carla and a great project to be a part of.

So good luck, I hope it all works out and you have enough energy to collect all the art work in time.

9. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks for renting the movie, When I saw it in the theater the first time I was just so moved. I think Warner Bros did an excellent job of telling the story.

There have been many others wanting to make this movie but Marshall didn't feel it would be treated properly, so when Warner Bros met with them, they knew it would be done right.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Carla