Update on Medical

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jun 25, 2017.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB

Yes, it is sad. Hope things improve for your DD soon.

I don't remember if I've posted this before or not. Back in the 50s, our tenth grade teacher had
    cancer. She was probably in her late 50s. She continued teaching. Used to joke about being
    gone some Fridays 'cause she had to go get her radioactive cocktail. She was lucky. Lived for
    some decades after she retired.

Hope DH has good results from his tests too.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry. I keep you and yours in my prayers. Chemo is rough. So is watching loved ones suffer. I hope and pray things smooth out for all of you.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 likes this.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks Patti, Rock and Mikie. She is doing very well emotionally. Better than I'd be doing. She said today that she plans to wear scarves and caps but maybe will try on some wigs.

She had a very bad reaction to her first chemo treatment because she seems to be allergic to the steroids that they give for nausea. They gave her another type of medication the second time and she's doing ok.

My DH is doing fine so far. He has another checkup in Dec. They will test him every six months for the next 5 years. I'm not sure what they do after that.

One day at a time, right? I'm glad I have you guys to talk to about this. It really helps. GB
    hangininthere likes this.
  4. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Oh good, glad she's doing well emotionally and they changed her med successfully. Praise God.

Patti
    gb66 likes this.
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

An update on my daughter's cancer treatment.
    She has finished the first 4 chemo treatments. They are the most diffficult to deal with. She has lost her hair and had some nausea. The portal in her neck area is causing her some discomfort and makes sleeping difficult.

She's on lots of medications and some have made her sick. She felt so bad over the Christmas holiday that she mostly slept.

In 3 weeks she will start her next rounds of chemo, 12 treatments in all. Then, there will be 39 radiation treatments to follow. I can't even imagine what she's going through.

She was diagnosed with stage 3. She's only 55 years old, has 3 adult children, 2 step children, and 5 grandchildren. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you. GB
  6. rockgor

Hi GB

Wow! That's really a rigorous regimen of treatments. I hope it's not too unpleasant and that it
    is successful. Is it necessary that she stay at the hospital for any treatments?

Here's wishing next Christmas is far different from this last one.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

She is at home but has been to the hospital a couple of times for infections and medicine reactions. She has to travel for each treatment. About an hour each way. Her radiation treatments may be closer to home, I'm not sure. Her white blood count is very high right now.

All of it is painful and exhausting, not to mention frightening, I'm sure. I know I'm really scared for her. She was diagnosed at stage 3 because they had messed up her lab work the prior year when she had a biopsy. They said it was benign when it was malignent because her doctor biopsed the wrong area. GB
  8. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. God help. Amen

Patti
    gb66 likes this.
  9. rockgor

That's a lot of traveling. I've read people often feel terrible after chemo treatments; vomiting, etc. I wonder if that's true of radiation too. Enough to exhaust even a healthy person. I wonder why the doctor got the biopsy wrong; malpractice?

I know it's really scary when your child is sick and you can't do much of anything to help. I remember driving from LA to a hospital in Ventura after I heard my son was in a car accident. I was imagining all sorts of problems, but it turned out to be a minor knee injury with no
    permanent damage.

How is your other daughter who had the hip replacement?

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, My other daughter is doing very well. She still has some pain but she's back to work part-time.

There is a patch that they put on chemo patients now that makes them able to stay home the day after instead of having to return for a shot for nausea symptoms.

Radiation doesn't cause nausea. My husband just had some pain in the area where the radiation was given and he was very tired for several months. He's doing much better now. The radiation does mess with ones bladder when its given for prostate cancer as his was.

She had a bad reaction to the steroids in the chemo that were used to help control nausea so they had to change it to another one. She hasn't had as much trouble with nausea as some do. I don't think she's vomited from it.

It's been a hard year. GB
    rockgor and hangininthere like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You and your family are in my prayers. I have so many to pray for because of cancer. This sounds as though it has been a horrible ordeal. That doctor was certainly negligent. I am so sorry your DD has had to go through this. I pray she is OK with these treatments and that they stop the cancer it its tracks.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 likes this.
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Mikie, Thank you for your response and for your prayers. She is feeling a bit better the last few days. Her treatments won't resume for a couple more weeks.

GB
    hangininthere and Mikie like this.