Update on my borther-in-law's surgery.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by dash, Dec 16, 2004.

1. dash

dash New Member

Bob's surgery took over 12 hours to complete. The first 3 1/2 hours were for the removal of the tumor from his clavicle and removal of most of the clavicle. They were able to remove 95% of the tumor.

Bob and that surgeon had an agreement that if tumor removal came to a point where he would loose function in the arm, he would stop. The piece of tumor that's left is laying on a major aortic blood vessel and the nerves that connect to the arm. Bob's already had one major artery removed from his neck in his initial cancer surgery last year. If he damaged this vessel he wouldn't have anyway of nourshing the areas with blood. Without the blood the nerves would die.

The rest of the surgery was reconstruction of the area. They actually took a flap of muscle, tissue and blood vessels from the back, pulled it through the body and cover the area. What's spectacular about this is that these tissues have never been exposed to radiation, so they can now do conventional radiation again. The first surgeon placed metal markers around the area the tumor was left and it can be more precisely targeted.

Another flap was made in the back to help close that area, then a small area about 6 inches in area was covered with a skin graft taken from Bob's thigh.

It is truly and totally amazing what a good surgeon can accomplish. I am so thankful for the surgeons he has. They are kind, thoughtful, and very involved with Bob and the family. They see this as a team effort and have so much respect for my sister.

Bob was taken directly to ICU last night. Marie got to see him for a few mintures around 12:30 a.n. He was stable and sedated. Despite the complexity of the surgery, and because all of the blood vessels, muscles and nerves are intact in the back flap they use, the healing time is signifcantly reduced. He'll be home before Christmas, and he should be healed fairly well in a few weeks.

Thank you all for your prayer support. I praise God that He has heard all of our prayers and answered them in our time of need.

God bless you,
    Della
  2. Lupian

Lupian New Member

I'm so glad for your good news! Thanks for sharing!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is truly amazing. My prayers are with you all and I pray for healing for Bob. God bless you.

Love, Mikie
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m glad he`s done with his surgery and doing so well so far. I will continue to pray for him.

Sandy
  5. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Della, glad to hear that Bob`s surgery turned out good and that he will be home for Christmas...

bless you and your family,Merry Christmas, Sunrise