Update on my horse and a picture

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldbgcoleman, May 4, 2006.

1. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Well for anyone who has followed my jorney with my horse Nightingale. Here is an update and a picture! She had a bowed tendon in early January. I did all of her rehab myself and now she is back full force. We turned her back out into the big pasture May 1st.

We did our barn show two weeks ago and we placed 3rd in both the 2' hunters and the 2' equitaion. (there were 12 entries) It was alot of fun and my goal was just to get around the course. My niece rode her in all her flat work and got two 2nds and a 4th. She rode another pony in her crossrails classes and placed in every class.

Tomorrow we are going to a 3 phase. it is my first one and my first dressage test. Again my goal is just to make it throught the cross country and show jumping courses. I am just doing Ameoba and the jumps are only 18".

I will let you guys know how we do! Thanks to all of the horse lovers out there who gave me so much good advice when my horse was down. Having her hurt realy bonded the two of us together so it was not all bad.

Have a wonderful day! Lynn
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2006]
  2. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I'm not one of your horse people, but love animals. I am so happy for you. Good luck in the 3 phase.

I don't think the picture of your horse showed up.

Here's to Nightingle!
  3. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

hey lynn - that is wonderful that you are feeling so well that you can ride and show. wow! cross country, that is brave. i read another post of yours that you also clean your horses stall and ride every day, plus care for your 4yr old. wow, i am amazed.
    well after reading all this, i am going to call the ffc to get more info. i think the conn. office is the closest for me, at about 3hr drive. i wish there was one closer.
    i feel like there is a missing link in my treatment. i have been lucky to have 2 very good docs. but when i hear these results , i wonder.
    i got sick after having my daughter almost 3yrs ago. i haven't been able to return to work, or resume my passion of riding. right before i got pregnant i was planning on getting a horse, but for my 40th b-day, i had a baby instead. the ob laughed at that.
    she is a doll, the apple of our eyes, i love her so ,but exhausting. a little better now that she is getting older.
    i loved my job, teacher, and want to do more!!
    i cry, b/c i feel like i'll never be able to ride and show or ever get a horse. i miss that part of my life sooo .like all of us who have this dd, we have given up so much.
    but, i really am so happy for you!! i will think of you showing and wish you the best. have a ton of fun. you deserve it. jump a jump for me! maybe, someday, i'll be at the point where you are. i hope.
    i tried to look at the pic. of your horse, but i couldn't find it???
    let us know how you do in the event-
    anne
    ps the rolex event will be aired on NBC sunday 2pm est
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I'm trying to get my picture to show up!

Pawprints thanks for the warm thoughts.

Horse Lover what a coincedence I had a baby for my 40th too! That led to me quitting my job which was a good thing and then to actually getting to ride again. When Grant comes to the barn with me he is more interested in following the owner around and watching him spread manure and move hay around than the horses. Such a boy!

I thin the key to getting better is to find a Dr who will work on finding the cause of your illness and try to fix that instead of only addressing your symptoms. I was just getting worse and worse and becoming afraid of being bed ridden.

I will say some of the things they find can have no actual cure. I know the EBV I have which is inactive now could become active again if I'm not very careful. Don't ever stop searching for answers. And don't give up your dream of riding. I love to trail ride too and it is not that strenuous. OR try vomlunteering for a hippotherapy program. You get to work with horses and help people! maybe your daughter will ride and you can be a horse Mom!

Thanks for the rolex info! How do they cram 3 days of action into one hour??? Take Care Lynn

PS there isn't a whole lot of bravery involved the jumps are just 18". My mare is definately hot so I am trotting her butt off yesterday and today to wear her out. she is very good on trails and crosses water and ditches so hopefully we will be fine!
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Bumping for neighhhhhbors!
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

What a stunning horse!

How wonderful for you that you are able to compete with her.

My Girl Scout leader when I was about twelve was an equestrienne and she had friends with a farm that hosted shows all of the time.

I used to work the dressage gates!

Take your time and don't rush it. When you're on the horse it seems like everything takes forever but it really doesn't!

Best Wishes for your success.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  7. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

What a beautiful Flicka you have, and what a beautiful name!!

I am a horse lover and owner, Wow I wish You the best on your show tomorrow!! My daughters hunter/jumper show is May 28 this will be her first show. She has a Arab named Bhaily he is a gelding (chestnut with a star and snip).
    Best of luck,
    Michelle
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Thanks for the update and photo. It is good to hear that you and Nighingale are back on track. Is “Ameoba” a level of competition? How droll!
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

What a beauty!!!!

June
  10. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Great horse. Love the pic. It's heaven be out riding. You did a fantastic job rehabing your horse. Good luck with your dressage!

K.
  11. horselover2

horselover2 New Member

your pic is on now, just saw it. wow, your horse is beautiful. you look great too. hope you did well at the event, let us know
    anne
  12. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Well heres how it went. We really bombed on our dreassage test. There was tall grass next one side of the dressage arena and a pile of rocks she didn't like. Any time I went near that side she was trying to step away and it rattled me.

I spent the time before my test trotting her butt off so she would be calmer and didn't think about the arena being scary. BUT as you all know sometime the things you think will bother them has no effect and what you think won't bother them really freaks them out! If I had just thought to spend ten minutes walking near the grass first she would have been fine. She just likes to look at things.

Soooo guess what I did?? unsaddled her and let her rest then grazed her all around the tall grass and next to the fence that surrounded the show jumping which was in a field. She was awesome on the cross country course through the woods. No refusals no penaltys. She wasn't exactly relaxed very alert. But she did really well. Then she was just terrfic in the show jumping very calm.

All in all it was a beautiful day and I learned alot about my horse and what to do next time. I ended up in 7th out of 10. My goals were to get through the courses and have fun.

I was there with five girls 11-15 from our barn and one of the girls got 2nd in begginer novice and one got 4th out of a field of 15. The others did well too! I made the horse cookies with their horses names and little hardhats with their names.

The levels start at pre ameoba which is poles on the ground, then ameoba 18", then tadpole 2'-2'3", begginner novice 2.6-3' then novice, beginner training, training ect... I am an official ameoba you have to start somewhere!

I am having the time of my life! Lynn
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I wish I could do that!
    Thank you, Lynn!
    Kholmes
  14. petsrme

petsrme Member

That is a great picture! I love it. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  15. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Horselover2 Anne- Well the thing about horses are they are not machines and they are different day to day. It is taking me a while to build a relationship with my Alpha mare! sounds like you had a wonderful day. When it is all clicking together there is nothing better!

1horse have fun on the truck tour!

Thanks for the compliments! Everyone thinks their own horse is the best! i personally have yet to find a horse that is not beautiful to me.

We have a new mare and month old colt at our barn. He is a paint with gorgeous brown markings and blue eyes. his Mom is being bred to the stud Bubba. He has another colt at our barn who is a black and white paint. I feel sorry for the MAres month old Babys and getting pregnant again.

Have a wonderful day! Lynn
  16. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Very nice picture, so glad your out having a good time!
    And your mare is all better!

Best wishes, and don't forget to be thankful, and enjoy every minute of it!

misty
  17. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I am so thankful! I think I am trying to cram every minute I can in. My familly is going to the beach on the 24th and usually I look forward to it but it is kind of bittersweet because I am really gonna miss my horse! Not just riding her but being with her. L
  18. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I love the picture of your horse! I have 3 horses and a little minature colt. I am too sick right now to ride, but I hope to get to ride someday soon. Anyway, I think just going out and brushing, feeding, and just petting the horses does me a lot of good. I have one huge racking horse, she is about 17 hands! She is black with white legs up to her knees and some white on her face and mane. Her name is "Midnight." The other two are bay quarter horse mares named Cinamon and Sophie. My little minature, "Buscuit" is the cutest little guy ever, haha! He is a paint; white with red spots. I want to get a few minature mares. I can only imagine how tiny a minature foal would be.
    Good luck on any future shows!
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  19. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I know you feel like you got 1st place because you rehabilitated your horse and you overcome your illness. That is 1st place in my book.

I think horses are the best therapy. I own 2 right now, a Tennessee Walker and a Racking horse. They are my babies. I know just being out in the barn with them, petting them and talking to them calms me down and relaxes me. Even right now not being able to ride for my broken ribs I love just being with them. Once they are in your blood it is for life.

Congrats on your triumph. It is an inspiration for everyone, even the nonhorsey people!!!!
  20. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Do your miniatures require the same vet care a regular horse does?? I saw a 4 day old mini one time and he came up to my knee. He was just darling!

So we have a gaited horse contingency here?? They are so beautiful and I love to watch them move. We had a gaited horse at the 3 phase last weekend. He was gorgeous!

I would love to see pictures and hear all abou your horses I can't get enough! Lynn