Update on my should/neck pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Sep 26, 2005.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

I saw my doctor last week and he recommended physical therapy for the pain in my right shoulder and neck. I have decided not to have the FMS doctor increase the morphine for now since I had such a time with nausea at first and I'm afraid that will come back if I increase the dosage.

He has recommended myfofascial release, aqua therapy and HEP. Not sure what that is. Anyone familiar with HEP? The rehabilitation place he mentioned is only five minutes from my house. I am familiar with it as my support group meets there once a month. I have an appt. with a physical therapist tomorrow afternoon.

A few days ago I noticed my left shoulder hurting a little. That's always been my fear that both would eventually be bad. Good thing I'm getting therapy soon.

Ellen
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but thats great that you're getting therapy and its in a centre close by.

I hope it benefits you. Please let us know.

love Rosie
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

for Ellen
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

with the physical therapist. Make sure you tell them that you have FM; they need to not work you so hard that it does more harm than good.
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I had a few PT's and chiropractors that think exercise is the cure-all. I asked the one, "is this supposed to hurt?" He had me on a rowing machine that was pulling on an already painful shoulder joint! Another kept exercising my neck that is already in pain. I found the gentle stretches,like yoga help me and I have a muscle therapist whose clinic treats a lot of us fibromytes. I had to learn to start listening to my instincts. A lot of them were clueless to what fibromyalgia is. It does go against all that we have been taught............
  6. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

they know about Fibro.

I went in for tightness across my upper shoulders and neck. I had an evaluation, and they decided I had 'forward head".... and that I needed a different treatment than what my Dr. ordered.

I went for 1 treatment. I am still sore from that one treatment, and it's been nearly 1 month. Thing is, the soreness is in a part of my neck that was FINE before I had the therapy.

And, during the evaluation, she decided to test the strength of my shoulders. The result of that is that I have had to have x-rays, cortizone injections, and today an MRI to see if she caused a torn rotator cuff injury. This is because she told me to push against her holding my arm as hard as I could **even if it hurt** until I could not push any more. I did as told, and probably tore a tendon.

Be VERY careful with physical therapy. It has helped many on here, but has made many worse. Do a search for physical therapy and you will see many for and many against.

My advise is if it hurts AT ALL don't do it. For if it hurts a tiny bit today, it will hurt A LOT tomorrow with Fibro.

People are different. I have been put into therapy 4 times in my life. 1 time it helped. 3 times it made me worse.
  7. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Ellen:

So sorry you have so much pain and problems with your shoulders. I too have a big problem with both my shoulders, The right one has a partially torn rotator cuff and the left has chronic tendonitis. It is very painful, so I feel for you.

Physical therapy will help you and so should the aqua therapy. The important thing hon is that you not abuse your shoulders. Never lift heavy objects or you will be in bad shape for days, believe me I know.

Good luck with the therapy and please let me know how you feel afterwards.

Will be praying for you.

God Bless.

Tender hugs,
    Francey

8. JLH

JLH New Member

I can't remember if you have had an MRI or CT scan of your neck or not.

If you haven't, I was going to suggest one before you start your PT.

I have terrible neck and shoulder pain. A CT scan revealed a ton of problems in my cervical spine!!! (I can't have an MRI, with would have been better, because of my pacemaker.)

While I was working, my neck and shoulder pain was almost unbearable! Now that I am retired, the pain has eased up soooo much!

Take care,
    Hugs-
    Janet
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I am so sorry for all the bad experiences everyone here has had with physical therapy. I have an appt. with the therapist early this afternoon. My doctor recommended this place and I am familiar with it as my support group meets there once a month. They are definitely familiar with FMS and the therapist I am meeting with I know well as she has helped run the support group. One time she demonstrated myofascial release on several of us (including me) and she was very gentle. I don't think I will have a problem with them pushing me too hard. Also, they keep their pool really warm because they know cold water is not good for the FMS. Their pool also has jets at one end and a place to sit.

Janet - I will ask the therapist if she thinks I should have a CT scan. She will probably tell me to check with my doctor. So I am hopeful that this will help my shoulder. I am getting concerned because my left shoulder has recently started to hurt a little, too. That's how my right shoulder started out. I am also hopeful they will be able to help my neck.

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your responses and concern.

Ellen
  10. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I didn't mean you should not go..... PT helps many people. For me, it does not.

Here is a story about massage therapy which is different, but sort of the same.

I went to a massage therapist who was trained in many things. She did miracles for me. While visiting a friend who had moved out of state, his girl friend, who is a nurse practioner, mentioned that she has a license in massage therapy, does Reiki, and works at a clinic for women, and has many patients with FM. She offered to give me an all over massage. I had not had one in months, so I was looking forward to it. She was not rough, but she had a different touch and technique, and I was SO sore for weeks after. The first week, I almost could not work. I was able leave their house without showing it, so I didn't hurt her feelings, but it was very difficult.

So - different PT's are different, and different people are different.

Just don't be afraid to speak up for yourself if something hurts. I should have when I went this last time - but I was SO desperate for help..... I trusted she knew how to help me. I should have trusted my own instincts about myself FIRST though.

I hope you have a very positive experience.

One thing good came out of mine. I got the neatest little TENS unit. To keep at home for good! My insurance ok'd it as a purchase this time. It is great to have it to use any time. I use it all over, where ever it hurts the most that day.

Good luck!
  11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

with the therapist who does occupational therapy. I will have both occupational and physical therapy. This therapist spent an hour with me assessing me, asking me lots of questions, having me do things to see what my limits are physically.

She will do myofascial release on me twice a week for an hour. Today I have to meet with the physical therapist for an assessment and will start the therapy tomorrow. For the physical therapy I will spend an hour in the pool doing different exercises. Their pool is really warm. I know there is more to it than that, but I will have to find out this afternoon.

Ellen