Update on my surgery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EllenComstock, Dec 26, 2006.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here after my ear surgery. Those who know me, know I don't have a computer at home so I am at the local library right now.

Anyway, everything went went, but I still don't know if I will get all the hearing back in my right ear. It still feels like I have water in both ears. The doctor says that is the packing, which I guess will eventually be absorbed.

The doctor said he found a lot of scar tissue in my ear and in a place he said was unusual. He said after removing the scar tissue, he was able to get the hammer in the middle ear to work. If this surgery is unsuccessful, I will have to go in for another procedure, but at this point, I am going to remain optimistic that no more surgery will be necessary. Now I just have to remain patient!

They gave me Vicotin for the pain so I've been pretty comfortable. I had wondered if they would give me anything more since I am already on morphine for the FMS pain. The first couple of nights after surgery was kind of rough, but that's to be expected. And I ended up not having to spend the night! It's so much better to be home in your own bed!

I am pretty much back to my normal activity. I have to keep both ears dry. Today I went back to swimming (of course no diving in the water!)

My husband is also doing well and taking his meds everyday. So he is feeling much better mentally. I am off work this week as the college I work for has closed down. We plan to do a few things this week depending on my energy level.

I would have put this message on the "To-do List" post, but I didn't see it. Anyway, I read the last "to-do list" and thanks everyone for all your good wishes and your concern for me. I hope everyone is doing okay and had a good Christmas. I am sure everyone is tired today. For those who traveled, have a safe journey home!

I will be back to work on January 3rd, but hope to get back on here again before then. Take care everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

P.S. The nurse had to put the IV in my hand, but I told her I had FMS and was very sensitive to pain. She numbed the area first and it made all the difference! Of course it meant getting poked an extra time, but it definitely helped!
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Ellen, you were very missed!

It is good to know your surgery went well. I will pray it helps you hear. I am thankful your pain has been controlled, for the most part. It makes so much difference!

I'm posting the To Do List today. Too hectic over the weekend!

Continue to heal well, my friend...

Prayers and gentle hugs,

3. MelaC

MelaC New Member

Hi Ellen. It is the first of your posts I have seen then again I haven't been a member very long.

What ear surgery did you need and why? Sorry for all the questions its just that I have had 32.

I suffered from a 2 conditions from the age of 6 until my early 20's. They were Cholestiatoma which are benign tumors which grow on the inside of the ear drums and destroy the inner ear and the other condition was mastoiditis. This is an acute infection of the mastoid bone which spreads fast and destroys everything in its path. If it reaches the brain then one is dead, I had 2 very close calls. I am deaf in both ears, I have been deaf in my right ear since I was 14 and my left ear since my late 20's. I have worn hearing aid since I was 14 but I only had 1 aid on the right as I was already deaf that side. I wear a special hearing aid called a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid). I have a titanium rod fitted in my skull and the aid clips into it.

So I am always interested in hearing and helping others who have had ear surgeries and hearing losses.

I hope and pray that your surgeries work and you can hear I would really like to hear how things work out.

Regards Mela
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hope your surgery is successful for you.

5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

but it's just the same. I hope you recover fine.

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so glad that things went well and I hope things continue to do so.

Glad you could pop in and let us all know how it went. I've been thinking about you...

Nancy B
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I had not known about your surgery but pleased it seemed to have gone at least OK and hope things work out.

Love Anniecrom
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

for all the good wishes. I will be back on here when I get back to work. I work part-time and get on here on my break at work. The rest of the time, I have to use the computer at the library, which is fortunately not far from our house. I know I'm probably a novelty here not having a computer at home!

For the lady who had questions about my ear surgery, I had a lot of ear infections as a child. At the time, my mother just called them ear aches and I remember lying on a heating pad a lot as a child. As a result, I have a lot of scar tissue in my ears, especially my right one, resulting in a 30% hearing loss. He said he found scar tissue in an unusual place during the surgery, but was able to get the hammer in the middle ear to work. I still have a lot of swelling two weeks later so I don't know if I have my hearing back or not. The doctor told me if this doesn't work, I will have to go back in for another surgery, but there is a good chance it will. So I will remain optimistic.

I am so sorry that you have become deaf in both ears. That must have been a difficult adjustment for you.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post!