Update on Provigil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Well . . I broke down and spent $270 for the Provigil last week! My husband was the one pushing as he's noticed a reall difference when I'm on it. The doctor ordered the 200 mg for me. I started it last Friday and have split the tab into 1/2 to take 100 mg to see if I can spread out the cost a bit over 2 months. Again, the medication seems to rid me of that horrible "I could go to sleep and not wake up feeling" . . That overwhelming fatigue feeling, etc. Again, my husband is the first to notice a difference. And again, I feel more like I'm alive! I have not had trouble going to sleep at night either like I had anticipated.

I'm still taking the Neurontin, Celexa, and the Ultracet. The aches and pains are still there, but let me tell all of you, I can tolerate that much more than the overwhelming fatigue!

I will continue to let you all know how the Provigil keeps or doesn't keep working. I only wish that my insurance would have covered the medication! That's soooooo much money!
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

Im glad its working for you and hope it continues. I cut my sleeping pills in half to make them last longer and my doc is happy to prescribe the higher dose.

If this continues to work perhaps you can talk to your doc about an even higher dose and save even more.

I remember when I tried it my doc gave me a scrip for 400mgs daily and my insurance paid for it but the side effects were too horible for me.

I wish you continued "feelin better"
  3. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi I'm going through the same thing with the Ins Co not paying, but I got a phone message from my Drs office today that said they had approved it.

They wanted a note from her saying why I needed it, I have had 2 sleep studies and I think that's what made them approve it. Both my studies were awful no sleep and I have severe sleep apenea I'm suppose to be wearing a Bi-Pap mask I couldn't get used to 4 of them so far.

I go back to the Pulmonologist next wk and I'm going to ask him for oxygen, that's what I felt best on and I know I won't have any trouble with the nose canulas, I have slept with them before in the hosp.

Meanwhile my Dr gave me 2wks worth of samples until I got approved like you I cut them in half, I tried taking the whole 200mgs and it didn't work as well on me as the 100mcgs who knows why.

I find when I wake up now I don't have that feeling of dread anymore like I had just knowing everything is going to hurt. It doesn't I have no idea why, I tried Cymbalta which is suppose to be for pain and depression, I stuck it out for a wk they made me deathly sick to my stomach. Go figure.

I would ask my Dr to write another letter or call even if she has someone in the office call it might work ya never know.

good luck,

gail....sorry this is soooo long!!
  4. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I was curious about the oxygen you said you could get.

What form does it come? Is it covered by insurance, and how much does it cost?

Cheers
    Delia
  6. leftylady

leftylady New Member

And I think its wonderful. I don't feel speedy or nervous at all. I just feel awake and alert.
  7. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

Have your tried their patient assist program?

OR

try the cheaper meds that will work just about the same.

Cost less. METHYLPHENDATE 10MGS - cost about $20! one or two a day replaces 200 mgs of Provigil- it is the generic of Ritilan.

jgavi

8. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi: I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about Provigil which I just got approved for by my ins. co. I will just have to pay my co-pay now they weren't going to pay anything until my Dr wrote a letter.

As far as oxygen I just said I wish they gave me that at night for sleeping cause when they tested me during my 2 sleep studies I felt the best on that.

I go next wk to the sleep Doc so I'm going to ask him about it cause I'm not having much luck with any of these Bi-Pap machines that I have tried.

take care,

gail
  9. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Yes I misunderstood,I think you're saying you can only get oxygen in the clinic...

I'm trying to find out whether it would be practical to have a tank of oxygen at home that I can get refilled periodically.

Cheers

Delia
  10. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi: Yes the only time I had the oxygen was when I had my sleep studies they put it with the diff masks and diff pressures to see what will fix your sleep apenea.

You can have oxygen in your home if a Dr Rx's it for you and they have these companies that deliver full tanks for you and take the empty ones away.

Near the end of my Mothers life she was on it 24/7 unfortunately she had COPD, a very tough way to pass on.

Do you think you need oxygen? The best Dr to see would be a Pulmonologist like I'm seeing, they do diff tests on you and interpret the sleep study results for you.

good luck,

gail
  11. judyraye

judyraye Guest

My Doc gave me samples of Provigil for a couple of months because my insurance co. battled paying for it. My Doctor finally got it approved after sending my Sleep Study Report. Insurance will not approve it for CFS or Fibro bcause they say it is still in trial. Bull....They just don't want to pay for this expensive drug. I was suicidal before taking it because of months in bed due to fatigue. It was a Miracle Drug for me. I first took 200mg and after 5 days became very nervous so I cut it to 100mg for about a week, then returned to 200 and was fine. Then I read the 9/7/05 email from this site on "The heart of the matter". It's 30 pages long and a bit confusing but on page 23 it says in bold print: Do not take Provigel. Now I don't know what to do. I'm giving the printout too my Doctor tomorrow. Nice to meet you all. This is my 2nd post.
  12. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Thanks to all of you, sofy, moxiepup, leftylady, jgavi and judyraye, for sending on the information regarding how it's helped you. It's been one week now, and I still feel "awake" all day and have energy to do things. Sure can see a difference, and so does my husband.

moxiepup, I may need to have a sleep study, however, with the Neurontin and the Celexa, I've really been sleeping pretty well these days.

jgavi, regarding the METHYLPHENDATE 10MGS - "cost about $20! one or two a day replaces 200 mgs of Provigil- it is the generic of Ritilan." I'll have to talk this over with the doctor. If this works the same, perhaps I could try it . . would be one heck of a lot cheaper! Thanks for the info.

judyraye, regarding the - "9/7/05 email from this site on "The heart of the matter". It's 30 pages long and a bit confusing but on page 23 it says in bold print: Do not take Provigil." I looked and couldn't find the info. If you would please let me know how to retrieve it, I'd appreciate it. Makes me want to consider the METHYLPHENDATE even more if there are cons against the Provigil!

Again, thank all, I'll keep you informed of how things go.
  13. leftylady

leftylady New Member

is so nice. I was tired of always feeling like I was swimming in fog. I can concentrate again and my memory is back.
  14. FM58

FM58 New Member

I have been on Provigil for 2 weeks now. First week started at 100mg (didn't help). Then up to 200mg.

Definitely a difference in my energy level - not ready to climb mountains -LOL! But, this really helps get me throught the day without collapsing for hours of napping.

I just still have to pace myself. I have to be oh so careful not to "overdo". I took my dog for a longer walk & yikes! Every part of my body is revolting, days later I am still majorly limping & trying to deal with this aggravating hip & knee pain. I can't walk now for more than 5 minutes or so.

I see my fibro doc next Friday- so I'll be happy to give him the good news on Provigil - but the achiness, ugh indeed!

Well, sorry you had to shell out all that $$ for the Provigil, but I am glad to hear it's working for you : )

Hugs,
    Patty
  15. leftylady

leftylady New Member

I think I am more tired on the weekends. I don't take the pills on days when I don't need to work. And I seem to have to play catch-up and sleep alot.

But its also been a horribly stressful week - what with all the bad news in the world. So that may very well be an important part of my exhaustion.
  16. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about, and my dr had said he cld rx it for me.. so I will look into the costs..
    tnx for the info

Delia
  17. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

If your Dr gives you a script for it you just take it to a Medical Supply store and they do the rest. They bill your Ins Co and bring everything you will need but the Dr has to write exactly what he wants you to receive and they set it up.

Thats what they did with my Bi-Pap machine they set the numbers and stuff that the Dr had written on the script.

good luck I will let you know what mine says, I have a feeling he will say no try another mask :((

bye for now,

gail