Update on son, Matt's auto accident

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovecats94, Dec 26, 2005.

1. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

This is an update mostly about the problems since Matt's auto accident on 11/22/05.

I think a lot of my son's problems stems from his own insurance company and the other people's insurance company.

Matt has had a rental since 12/10. The accident happened on 11/22. He still has nothing as far as a settlement on his car yet. He is still making payments on a car that is totaled and he doesn't have.

He had to go to Enterprise today and give up the rental. He is driving my husband's car now again. My husband is going to have to drive his old (1988) truck to his work.

As of now, I have no idea when any of this is going to be settled. He doesn't have his totaled car paid off yet and can't buy a new one because of that.

This accident wasn't his fault. He was run off I 95 by some people and spent the night in the hospital in Richmond.

His own insurance company has been dragging their feet to do anything and the other people's insurance agent won't return phone calls. So Matt's insurance company is supposed to settle this and then bill the other insurance company. Of course Matt has to pay his $500 deductible for this. :(

To be honest a lot of the problems and slowness are being caused by Matt's insurance company. They were cheaper and that is why he got them and now I know why they were cheaper.

So it goes on and on. Nothing happening with the injury attorney either.

Just thought some of you who had read about the accident after it happened would be curious as to what has happened over a month later.

Hugs,
    Faye
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Nancy,
    Good luck with the house moving. :)

Matt seems to be okay physically. I don't know about the hospital bill and doctor bills. How much it all amounts to and whether his health insurance is going to pay for that or not.

That's right, Matt is paying not only to Toyota for his car which is totaled, but to the insurance company for the premium too.

I surely hope some of this gets settled this week before we go on yet another long weekend next week.

Happy New Year to you!

Love,
    Faye
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I saw this and know how frustrating auto insurance can be. We have to pay a fortune for it....but if we need it...WE PAY AGAIN!
    I hope that it all works out soon...but SO thankful that your Matt wasn't injured!

MamaR
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2005]
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I hate to hear that Matt is still waiting on his insurance company to take action.

I hope he keeps after his ins. co. and his attorney! There is no sense in everybody dragging their feet so much. I know the holiday may have slowed things down since so many people take vacation in December; however, it shouldn't be that slow!

We didn't have too much problem with our insurance company when my younger daughter's car was totalled when she was hit by a drunk driver. Almost as soon as his ins. co. got the police report and pictures of the car to see it was totalled, they wrote us a check.

The check was by no means what the car was really worth, considering that we had just made the last payment (it was a brand new car) the month prior to the accident!

We had to add $7,000 to the insurance company's check in order to buy her a replacement vehicle like the one that was totalled. :(

The "medical" portion of the insurance claim was not closed for a year. My daughter, being a doctor, knew that her injuries may continue to give her ongoing problems, so she didn't want to make a final settlement too quickly. Finally, his ins. co. called and said if she didn't agree to sign a paper which closes the case now, she would not be able to settle later -- or something like that.

Anyway, they settled the medical part for only $3,000. This amount included the $1,500 hospital bill. The additional $1,500 was for her "pain and suffering". WOW!

She had a lot of "pain and suffering" because she was in medical school then and HAD TO go right back to work in the hospital the next day treating patients (she was in her last year of med school and was working in the hospitals). She had to work with most of her ribs broken and other injuries.

We pay a fortune to be taken care of in case we have an accident, then when we DO have an accident, they really make you suffer instead of taking care of you!!

Matt was fortunate that he wasn't hurt, though.

I hope things start to move faster for him in 2006.

Thanks for the update!

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Doxy,
    Here we are and it is 12/27, and Matt is STILL driving my husband's car.
    I really think it is his insurance company, but I guess I shouldn't name it as I don't want to get involved in libel, even though everything I have said is the truth.

This is our problem. If they don't settle on the car by 1/22/06, my son will lose the Gap insurance coverage that will cover what he owes on the car payment and what he gets from the insurance, so, see, it is VERY important that the insurance company settle this ASAP!

I'm praying for you and your son too. Can you believe that someone else's mistake could cause us so much grief? :(

MamaR,
    We are happy that Matt wasn't injuried seriously. I just don't understand why it takes them so blasted long to settle something that should take less than a week!

If I was Matt, I would call them every single day until they finally settled this. Oh, they took the rental away from him because they have a limit on days to have it and he went to the day limit. Ain't that nice??? :(

Janet,
    The car settlement and the injury attorney are two separate things for Matt. He needs the car part to be settled so he can buy a new car. I don't know what will happen with the injury attorney. Matt's hospital bill was almost $10,000. I don't know what the doctor's charged him in the hospital.

Yeah, but Matt was upside down in that car for 45 minutes, so we feel he deserves something for the stress that caused on him and being that he has diabetes. The stress continues due to the auto insurance and the dragging of feet.

The entire situation isn't doing my sugar any favors either, if you know what I mean.

Well, I need to go and wash my hair. Took a Lortab at 3 PM to be able to deal with the blow drying and arms up in the air. I like long hair, so I have to pay the price. lol

Thanks gals for answering about this and prayers would be very much appreciated. :)

Love,
    Faye
  6. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

with his Gap insurer. Because the accident occured during the coverage time it should still pay. Also if his insurance company pays for the claim then the first money they recover from the other company should be his ded. It will be returned to him. I realize it is an inconvience but thats the way most companies handle it. If you are having proplems with an adjuster than I would reccomend you call their supervisor. That usually puts a fire under them. If there is a police report then the other company will have to see where the fault lies and pay the claim. I would be persistint and keep calling and you will get it all done. It may be simpler to allow his company to pay and then they will do the rest of the work for your son. They will represent him and deal with the other company. Might be less of a headache and he could get his car replaced. Be sure he is happy with the amounts he is offered before he signs off on the claim. Once you sign on the dotted line its all she wrote.
    Best Wishes. ( I work for an Insurance agency, some states have different rules and regulations)
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Kalley,
    Thanks for that info. The other people who got the ticket, well it is their agent who is not returning phone calls to Matt's agent. So, Matt's insurance company is going to settle it and then bill the other people.

I'll tell Matt what you said and I hope and pray that this can get settled soon.

I believe he did check with the Gap insurance and they said the claim had to be filed within 60 days of the accident, which was on 11/22.

Matt gets kind of upset when I try to talk to him about all of this. I'll still mention to him that he should call the supervisor and ask what the hold up is and that he needs all this settled so he can get a new car.

Yes, there was a police report and the other people got the ticket. But Matt later found out that either the driver or passenger had just gotten out of jail and there were warrants for them, but I don't know from where.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know what happens with this.

Big hugs,
    Faye
  8. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

Sounds like the ones who were at fault shouldn't have been on the roads anyway. Let me know how it goes for your son. I hope is has healed from his injuries. Best wishes.