UPDATE ON YET ANOTHER DR. APPT.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had another appt. with my family doctor yesterday to go over more blood work. My liver function is still high. He wants me to have MORE blood tests, this time to rule out hepatitis. If the tests come back the same or worse, he wants me to have an ultrasound on my liver and gall bladder. My twin sister just went through the same thing and her ultrasound came back negative. Anyway, my cholesterol and tryglycerides also came back very very high. I have to really work to change my diet. He doesn't want to give me meds for this because he said they are bad for your liver. I'm stil seeing the Nutritionist and have started to cut out all sugar and other bad carbs. I don't know what to eat anymore. I guess I'll have to cut back a lot on eggs, and I don't eat much dairy anymore. No cheese or butter. I drink my protein shake in the morning and have some protein and veggies for lunch. Last night I had fish and cheated with a little bit of corn. Then I fell asleep at 8:30. And up in the morning at 5:00 a.m. I feel like crap! I'm positive I have chronic fatigue now. I feel like a wet dish rag. Oh well. If anyone has any ideas on how to manage high cholesterol and tryglycerides, please let me know. Thanks.

Annette2

P.S. - I also asked him about adrenal function and he said he had tested me for that and it was okay.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2003]
  2. pooped

pooped New Member

3. suz41

suz41 New Member

Annette:
    I don't have high cholesterol, howver my husband does and he has been managing and has lowered his number by 60 points by changing his lifestyle. This means the whole family is eating a whole lot healthier. You said you had a nutrionist I would really work with him or her. Adding fish with Omega 3 fatty acids may increase your good cholesterol. Avoid margarines with transfatty acids they are worse then butter. Adding alot of whole grains such as oatmeal (husband eats it daily) may also help as well as fresh fruit and veggies. Start reading the labels on any boxed foods incliuding cereals. According to the heart healthy plan my husband has been on for 5 years his intake of faturated and unsaturated fats is not to exceed 25% of his total daily caloric intake. If you can start an exercise program (okd by you doc). best of luck
    Keep us posted. Suz
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not the eggs, butter, cream, and cheese which cause cholesterol to go up; it's the carbs. While on the Suzanne Somers diet, eating all these things, I lost 24 pounds and my cholesterol fell from 191 to 168. All my lipis improved.

Go to the bookstore and read the intro by the doc in her newest book, "Fast & Easy." He explains it all. The Atkins diet and the Syndrome X diets all concur.

Nutritionist have been operating under the myth that eating natural fats increases cholesterol. They have been telling us to eat a low-fat diet high in complex carbs. This has led to obesity, high cholesterol, and Type II Diabetes following insulin resistance.

Cut out all sugar in all its forms, white bread, white rice, and white potatoes. That alone, will help a lot. Then, limit starchy veggies and high-glycemic fruit until weight, lipids, and blood pressure are all normal.

That said, there are people who have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol and the diet changes alone will not do it. For most of us, though, it works.

Love, Mikie
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thanks for your help! I had cut out white potatoes and bread a few months ago. I also eat a lot of fish and white chicken. I don't eat "fast food" or fried food. I don't understand why the levels are up. My thyroid was out-of-whack but my doctor finally got it under control. I'm going to go back to exercising. I drink a Whey protein drink every morning and don't know if this can cause high cholesterol. I just looked up Neurontin and it said it doesn't interfere with liver function. I'm really trying and don't understand this all. I apologize if I sound like I'm whining - I'm just soooo tired all the time, even with my thyroid bouncing back. I fell asleep at 7:30 last night on the couch (again) and even though I slept until 5:00 a.m. (9 1/2 hours) I'm still exhausted! So many things to try to figure out. Just don't get it! Madwolf, what could be causing my elevated liver function tests? Dr. is having me checked for hepatitis. Wouldn't I know if I had that?

Annette2