Update, Prayers please 4 hubby, all firefighters at Big Bear fire

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boltchik, Sep 15, 2007.

1. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hello all,
    Update on my post dated 9/17 below.

Just asking for some extra prayers. My husband got called away to the huge fire in Big Bear, CA. It is nearly 14,000 acres now and only 5% contained. There are hundreds of firefighters up there in the mountains who could use the extra prayers.

My husband could be gone anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks. He had the chance to call on the drive up, but I don't know when I will hear from him again, as cell service is sporadic in the mountains. Plus, he will be working under dangerous conditions, and I don't know if he can call for a while. He has not been called away like this since the huge fires in Southern Calif. a couple of years ago.

I am staying positive and keeping my kids busy so they don't worry. I know he is good at his job, but it is a dangerous one. I am able to get pretty good updates on local fire websites. Well, just posting for some positive thoughts from the good people on the chitchat board!
    Thanks, Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2007]
  2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Sorry to hear about the fires in Big Bear.It's good that you're staying positive but at the same time it's always worrying.
    Positive thoughts & prayers coming from Scotland for your hubby & fire fighters & all those caught up in the fires.Hopefully they can get it under control soon.
    Take care,Paul.
  3. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Sending prayers and good thoughts out there. My son is a volunteer on our township fire dept.... whatever would we do without firemen? I have scanners running all over my house to hear who is getting called out to where!

4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Paul-Thanks for the good wishes, I really appreciate it. I have not heard from my husband yet, I am hoping that he is getting some rest. I don't know what kind of shifts they took during the night. The internet is now reporting 12% containment, so hopefully their plans are going well. Heard about Scotland defeating France on Rosie's post, you must have really enjoyed that!! Hope you are having a great day! Kim :)

Tona-Thank you for the prayers. How wonderful that your son is a volunteer firefighter. I do always tell my husband, thank God there are people who have it in them to do the work you guys do. He is also a paramedic, and has to make decisions about people's medical situations in an instant. He has seen so much, I could not do that job, it would be too stressful for me. Thanks again, enjoy your day! Kim :)
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

My prayers are with you Dear! The Firefighters are Taken very Good Care of out on the Fire lines around here! If it gets to dangerous they exit right away!,,,,,,Hugs! Sis
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Praying for protection and a quick end to the fire!

It's autumn and the hills are dry. Fire time.

Take care of yourself while he's away.

7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for the extra prayers and good thoughts. We really appreciate them. I still have not heard from my husband, but I know he may not be able to call still. There are no injuries reported and the fire is about the same, so at least it is not gaining any more momentum.

I am used to being at home with the kids by myself when he does his 24 hr. shifts, or 3-4 days overtime. So, we are doing just fine. The computer went down today, but I have some family in town, so my BIL was able to fix it.

Last night I was thinking as I was trying to fall asleep. Here I am safe in bed and my husband is working up in the mountains, in the middle of the night fighting huge flames around him. It was so strange. Thanks again everyone, you are so kind! Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2007]
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Warm thoughts and wishes going out your way and to your husband and all of those fighting these fires.

You must be so proud of him!

Nancy B
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

in their arms of of thier loved ones again.

wishing for rain of course would be great for all of them...

hug to all of the professional men and woman working down there....

10. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Just wondering if you've heard from your husband yet and how the fire is doing....
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that's so scary, I hope they get the fires under control soon and no-one gets hurt.

12. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Update and Thanks!!

Thanks for all of your concerns and prayers. You all are just fantastic!! I finally got to talk to my husband last night. It was 9 pm and he was in line with a couple hundred other firefighters waiting for dinner. His shift goes like this: He gets up at 5:00 am, gets all gear and heads up to fire, then works from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. They laid 5,000 ft of hose yesterday, which unfortunately was then burned as the fire changed direction.

Then, the next shift takes over (he does get to sleep at night). By the time they get back to camp, it is after 8:00, usually get dinner around 9:00. They are sleeping outside on cots (brrrr!!!!) at the Snow Valley area w/ extra clothing and sleeping bags. Luckily, there is no snow this time of year! They did have to evacuate an area they were working yesterday as the fire began to come down the mountain at them. He assured me they were evacuated in plenty of time.

It is still at 12% containment, and he will be there for a while. Just praying that he stays safe and warm, and out of harm's way. We really appreciate all of your awesome support. Thanks so very much! Kim :)
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

wow~~ sounds like a hard job! Hope he makes Big Bucks for doing this! Man power is the key i guess for making sure the fire lines are being put in place,,,,Bad news about the hose! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

They reported about it last night on our news,,,glad you can keep updated via the websites!

I will say a prayer for you and the kids tonight and also for your husband! They should have Canvas Tents to sleep in,,,,,,Hope so!
  14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Your husband must be exhausted! What a schedule...and then to have to sleep in the outdoors.

Prayers continuing for him and all the others fighting the fire...and for their families at home...you especially.

God keep all concerned SAFE!

15. mimimurch4

mimimurch4 New Member

I am sending up prayers right now for your husband and all the other firefighters there and all over our country. They really do have a dangerous job and need our prayers. I am also praying for you, that you will have more energy while you are alone with your kids. God's Blessings on your family and for your husband's great jobs that he does for the public.

God Bless,
  16. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sis-Thanks for the prayers. He didn't say anything about tents, but I forgot to ask. I did hear from him again tonight. I don't think he is telling me the whole story about yesterday, so he doesn't worry me. It is very hard work, they have increased their manpower a great deal over the past two days. Hope you have a great night. :)

Sue-my husband did sound pretty tired on the phone tonight. I know he's beat, but he really wanted to go to Big Bear. I am so glad that I will probably be able to talk to him most nights now, at least one phone call, since the cell service is better once they get back to camp. Thanks again. :)

mimimurch-Thanks for the prayers for all of the firefighters, my husband, and my family. When the big wildland fires come up like this, it reminds me of just how dangerous the job is. Hope you are feeling well today. :)
  17. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I haven't heard any news about the fire lately, so wondered if your husband is still fighting it? Must be getting cold in those mountains at night, now.

Just wondering how all was going with you and with your husband.

18. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for checking in on my family and I. The fire is fully contained! My husband surprised us and came home late yesterday afternoon. He called and pretended like he would probably be gone another day or two. Then he was asking what the kids and I were doing. We were at Kohl's shopping. Then he asked again, "so where are you?", I said in the dressing room at Kohl's. So, he figured out which one we were in, and the next thing I know, my daughter is yelling, Daddy!!! It was so nice.

It was very cold. They slept outside the first few nights on cots w/sleeping bags. The last two nights they were able to get shelter in a rec room. Last Sunday was the worst day, he didn't tell me until he got home. The fire came chasing them down the mountain faster than they expected. They were on foot, but the chief raced to them in one of the trucks, and they all jumped in the back and took off. He didn't tell me how close it was until now so I wasn't worried.

Other than that close incident, he stayed safe and I am happy he was not gone for up to two weeks.

How are you doing? Are you feeling well? I hope you are having a good night. Thanks again, I really apprecate it. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2007]
  19. sisland

sisland New Member

So Glad he's Home safe! proably an Exsperience he will remember for a long time!,,,,,,,,,,,,So Happy for you and the Kids! He must love you all alot to surprise you like that!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thank God for a happy Day!,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis
  20. tonakay

tonakay New Member

What a great guy you have! I'm so glad that fire is contained and he is home....