Update: Read on the lab papers,,,,,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Mar 10, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

WOW! I think I am into something! I read the papers only the lab personel is supposed to read (I have learned to be sneaky since docs don't always tell you what they think). There it sayd among other things: Post Viral Syndrome. In other words, CFS or FM, right?! If so, I must have a possible diagnosis?! My new doc. never rolled his eyes about me mentioning family history of FM, he noted it. He is an internist, and apparently he drives the lab people nuts with all the lab work and imaging requests for his patients. Tell me, guys, is this it? Is Post Viral Syndrome it? If so, I am SO RELIEVED!
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

bumping for myself :)
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Hellooo? Anyone?
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

pretty much what it sounds like... lingering fatigue after a viral infection.
    The criteria or bar for CFS is somewhat higher.. you must have been tired for more than 6 months, suffer post-exertional malaise, have neurocognitive problems, swollen lymph nodes.. the usual stuff.

One diagnosis often transitions into another, but most docs will wait 6 months before saying you have CFS.

FM and CFS often overlap, but FMers usually have pain where people with CFS don't.

Very crude descriptions.. but as you can see a diagnosis of post-viral fatigue is way better than a CFS diagnosis.

All the best
    Delia
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I've only seen this doc 3 times, he have to run tests to exlude other possibilities too. I've had my fatigue for years, severely so after I had my daughter 2 years ago. We'll see what the results of the tests reveals, as he said. I guess this post viral thing is not the same as CFS- my mistake! I jumped to conclution after googeling! How silly of me! I was just hoping I had an answer for not being able to take a deep breath enough to blow a toy wistle for my daughter. I hope my doc. can lead me there!

Many hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

According to Wikipedia Post Viral Syndrome (or Post Viral fatigue syndrome) is another name for CFS or ME.

I got it from here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

Chronic fatigue syndrome [[Image:{{{Image
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), post-viral fatigue syndrome (PVFS) and various other names, is a syndrome of unknown and possibly multiple etiology, affecting the central nervous system (CNS), immune, and many other systems and organs. Most definitions other than the 1991 UK "Oxford", require a number of features, the most common being severe mental and physical depletion, which according to the 1994 Fukuda definition is "unrelieved by rest", and is usually made worse by even trivial exertion (controversially the Oxford and Fukuda require this to be optional only).

Sorry to be such a research butt, I had to know for sure.