Update Your Microsoft Windows Now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a new worm which takes advantage of weakensses in the Windows software. Go to www.Microsoft.com and make sure your computer has the latest updates. They are free to download.

What I have learned so far is that Windows 2000 and the early versions of XP are vulnerable. In any case, it is a good idea to ensure one has the latest patches and updates. Most of us get them automatically, but it is important to update now before the worm has a chance to infect computers.

CNN is just now alerting people to this problem. CNN itself has been infected.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that a worm can attack the vulnerabilites in between auto updates. This worm is brand new today and is spreading rapidly. It's a good idea to manually check to insure all patches and updates are done to avoid this worm which will erase info from computers.

Getting infected is a heap 'o trouble and it's just so much easier if one can avoid it. It's no fun turning on one's computer and finding you cannot do anything. You have to boot from the CD and reinstall your operating system. You lose all documents and pictures you have stored on the hard drive.

This happend to me when a virus was sent to me three years ago. Believe me, no one wants to go through this.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's Windows 2000 and early versions of Windows XP which are vulnerable. There are updates for all versions of Windows and everyone needs to ensure their operating system is updated. Newer versions update automatically but I'm not sure about the earlier versions. Yes, Windows is from Microsoft.

It's easy to update. Just go to the Microsoft website and click on downloads. Click on Express and it will check to see that all critical updates are installed. Just follow the directions.

It is important to have a software and/or hardware firewall and antiviral software to keep the computer safe. You have to pay to keep these updated every year. You can get auto updates on the antiviral software too. Mine automatically updates all the time.

The problem with things like this worm is that the antivral software will not have anything yet to protect computers, especially since this worm uses a flaw in the Windows software. Microsoft has patches for these flaws and the way to plug up the security holes is to download them.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you have a CD drive on your computer, back up your pictures on it. Printing them out will only give you a paper version. You need them saved to an electronic medium. Graphics take up a lot of space so you need a CD or some kind of external storage device. Your son will know what I'm talking about.

When you buy the Norton software, you have to buy the version which will run on your computer's operating system. You can only use it on one computer. It's easier to buy it online from Semantec and choose the version you need. It's well worth the price to ensure your can reinstall it as many times as you want on your computer during the year.

If your ISP provides virus protection, it is likely only for e-mails.

Love, Mikie
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Haven't really found the answer anywhere...

I've been using mozilla's firefox for a browser thinking McAfee was protecting it; but my subscription just expired. I had to make IE my default browser in order to download it, so I did, but it won't hook up to the internet!

I have no idea what else to do, and am wondering if McAfee was even protecting firefox anyway; I have been told about some free virus etc. protection downloads that will work for firefox, but if I need to download anything that requires IE, I'm still stuck...

Any advice/opinions for the hopelessly challenged here? Anyone else use firefox?

Thanks, Victoria
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I don't remember who posted it. Its called Spy-Bot.
    Went to Spy-Bot.com its totally free and works great for my PCs we have three. Makes them even run faster.
    Don't know if it will work for the worm its worth a shot.
    Good luck.
    Sue
  7. shell3

shell3 New Member

dear mikie i went on microsoft.com and then clicked on download but i didnt know what to do after that. thank you for your help.
  8. Terry383

Terry383 New Member

Just go to your Google Toolbar and type in AVG. This is one of the best free virus protection. It updates every day and checks your computer every day automatically.

Once a week I check my computer with Housecall. Just put that in your Google Toolbar and it will come up. It checks your computer for worms, virus, spyware and hackers. I do mine every Sunday as well as delete my cookies and internet files.

The above will keep your computer running smoothly. They are both free, and easy to install, all you have to do is follow the instructions.

If you have any questions I will check here again tomorrow.
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

...But computer security engineers at Microsoft said that the worm is only targeting Windows 2000 and not the other versions of Windows.

"It only affected Windows 2000," said Stephen Toulouse, a manager at Microsoft's Security Response Center. "So far its has shown a very limited impact -- we're not seeing any widespread impact to the Internet, but we remain vigilant."

The latest virus drops a copy of itself into the Windows system folder as BOTZOR.EXE and modifies the system's host file in the infected user's computer to prevent the user from getting online assistance from anti-virus Web sites, Trend Micro added.

The worm can also connect to a specific Internet relay chat server and give hackers remote control over affected systems, which can be used to infect other unpatched machines in a network and slow down network performance.

"Since most users may not be aware of this newly announced security hole so as to install the necessary patch during last weekend, we can foresee more infections from WORM_ZOTOB," it said.

Last Tuesday, Microsoft issued patches to fix its security flaws as part of its monthly security bulletin. The problems affect the Windows operating system and Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser.

Microsoft has warned that an attacker could exploit a vulnerability in its Internet Explorer Web browser, lure users to malicious Web pages and could run a software code on the user's PC giving the attacker control of the affected computer.

Computer users should update their anti-virus pattern files and apply the latest Microsoft patches to protect their computer systems, Trend Micro said.

More than 90 percent of the world's PCs run on the Windows operating system and Microsoft has been working to improve the security and reliability of its software.
    -----------------
    From what Microsoft said it is only attacking Windows running Windows 2000. That is the info in here, but I went ahead on my Windows computer and had Microsoft check for any critical updates. I did this a few days ago and it found one. I'm on Win 98 SE--well my hubby uses that.

I'm on a Mac, so I don't have to worry about all of this.

Hugs,
    Faye

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Offers a lot of free downloads and they are safe. I haven't checked for any antiviral software because I use Norton.

About 25 percent of all Windows users have the Windows 2000 version on their computers. That's a lot of people. I figured that even if one doesn't have that version, it never hurts to check the website to ensure one's computer is up to date on all critical updates.

For anyone who can't figure out what to do, find a friend or family member who can help out. At the Microsoft website, they walk you through it.

I hope none of our members was affected by this.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Norton just came through with an antiviral update. There is usually a gap between an outbreak and the AV software updates from them.

In this case, hackers have found vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows operating software which has allowed the computers to be easily infected. That's why it's so vital to keep the critical updates downloaded from Microsoft.

Mac users don't usually have these problems.

Love, Mikie
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mikie - I had trouble finding the "express" download link to click on following your directions.

But I played around with it and came up with this:

(1) Go to www.microsoft.com/security.

(2) On the right-hand side of the page is a box labeled "Update your Computer" - in this box, I clicked on "Microsoft update"

(3) and then the next window brought up the "Express" button to get high-priority updates, and I followed the directions.

I had thought I had the latest updates because they are sent to me automatically, but I didn't.

Thank you for alerting everyone to this.

Mary
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My husband uses the Win 98 SE and my son has a Win 2000 he made that we haven't started to use yet. He reformatted it for us and it has been sitting there for over a year. It is a Pentium 4.

Well with what has been going around, I'm a bit scared to get him to get that Pentium 4 running now. He was going to do that this week. Now I don't know.

Thank you all for all of the info you have given, Mikie, and all of you. I need this info for that computer.

I do have a Mac I use and I do have Norton AV on it. Just in case, but these computers rarely, if ever get anything.

Just wanted to thank everyone again and this info is really important for all of us to know and we need to talk about computers and viruses and worms off and on. I realize we are all ill and we mostly concentrate on our health, but we need to consider the health of our computers also. ;-)

Those of you who don't know much, just ask and keep asking until you understand what to do.

In the Start on hubby's computer there is a Windows Update button at the top and I just click on that and it brings me to a screen that I hit a button and it scans my hard drive for critical updates.

I usually update Norton AV on it each time I get on it manually.

Sorry this is long.

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. DarqAce

DarqAce New Member

Bump back to Page 1 again!
  15. sheried

sheried New Member

back to page one.
  16. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

good info...thanks eerybody