Upper back pain and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BabiCati, Jan 16, 2006.

1. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I posted last week about my bad experience with my doctor. Well, she finally gave me prednisone and vicoprofen, which have eased the pain but it has not gone away altogether.

I have always had lower back pain, even as a child, but upper back pain has been mild and intermittent. Now I read that disk problems are less likely in the upper back and it is usually due to strain. But the pills have not taken it away completely and I am still having trouble moving.

Have any of experienced this before and what did you do? It is right in the middle of my back, on the spine and I have trouble looking down, lifting my arms and turning my head and uppper body around.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lourdes
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2006]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Lourdes:
    I have exactly the same problem. The only thing I know to do about it is resting and resting and resting continuously with a heating pad.

I have found that a nice alcohol rub helps slightly.

I would also like to see what others have to say.

Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

have you ever had an MRI done or physical therapy? She has ordered both but I have to pay for them and don't want to waste my money, if it is not spine related.
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

hello!

i have osteoarthritis in my lower back and it has its own life and sets of flares!! as a matter of fact, this morning was the worst one in quite a while.

what works best for me is a hot shower on the back. then i apply vicks vaporub or some other muscle rub. then onto the couch or bed with a heating pad or warm herbal pack.

so the fibromyalgia aggravates SO MUCH the upper back: neck, shoulders, shoulder blades. intensely. i follow the above to help the upper back but find that if it's a fibromyalgia flare, the relief is intermittent and not nearly as soothing results as on the osteoarthritis areas.

what else can be tried? i just don't get it! oh, yes, sometimes i take a tramadol but i don't care for these. not much of a difference so i need to speak w/my rheumatologist about this. anyone tried tramadol for pain?
  5. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I use Ultracet and it normally helps all fibro pain, it minimizes this pain but it does not take it away altogether, that it why I am so desperate.
  6. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Lourdes,

This sounds like what you've already heard, FM

I too have this pain. Sometimes the muscles swell so bad
    I can hardly stand it. I believe it could be either bone spurs touching the nerves, or it could be degenerative arthritis, which would show up on a plain X-ray.

Strains do go away, I'm with you. I think you need to seek the real answer. If at all possible at least get an
    X-ray, or if you have insurance, demand an MRI.

I too have lower back pain, but, it's nothing like that upper back pain. I've tried may excersises, but it seems to be worse. If docs would get us out of pain we could at
    least do some sort of physical therapy.

Good Luck, I'm feeling for you.
    Diane
  7. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

This the only thing that has helped my upper back pain. Try to see if you can get a prescription for Physical Therapy in the pool, at least 91 degrees. The therapist can show you gentle stretches to do in the warm water.
    It's no cure, but it helps some of us.

Laura
  8. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

You are right, that is the problem. The pain intensified three weeks ago when I did a few sit ups (careful not to pull on my neck) and a few weights. Nothing strenuous, on the contrary it was ridiculously mild.

But the ibuprofen, ultracet and zanaflex did not help this time. In the past they have and I have forgotten about it but not this time.

I made an appt. for an evaluation for physical therapy for this afternoon and just realized I forgot about it!!! Oh well, I'll call and apologize tomorrow.

I'm surprised I haven't lost my head yet!!!
  9. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I'm sure you know how difficult it is to find any information on upper back pain. I was a computer person and had severe pain in my upper back.

We had a workout room where I worked and I spent many hours trying to pull the tightness from my muscles but nothing worked except ice.

If I put ice on it and am able to get through the pain of it getting cold, I would get some relief. The best treatment is to stay away from the computer for me!!
  10. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I am a journalist so I write for a living... I just need these stupid Dr.s to figure this out once and for all so I can have my life back.