Upper Body Only???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LaurieB, Jul 4, 2008.

1. LaurieB

LaurieB New Member

Is it possible to have fibro if you only have pain in your upper body and not your lower body? My pain in limited to shoulders and upper arms.

I read the thread on brain fog -- and oh man -- I definitely have that.

I do not, however, have pressure points. Just really bad pain in my upper arms and shoulders. Keeps me awake at night. I am so tired from the lack of restful sleep.
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I've been learning a lot of things can mimic FM and you can also have other things and FM. I suggest finding a doctor and start there. If you HAVE a doctor who doesn't say anything or dismisses you, find another one. The internet is great but it isn't a substitute for a diagnosis! You might think it is FM, only to find it is something that is easier treated. Or if it is FM, you at least have a formal dx if you need it for your job or school, etc.
  3. LaurieB

LaurieB New Member

Thanks for your input. I've seen two rheumatologists over the past 18 months. One just said it's because you're diabetic (juvenile-onset for 40 yrs) and the other said it was probably fibro. I had one shoulder x-ray and a big list of blood work that ruled out lyme, lupus, west nile, multiple myopathy, etc. I still don't feel like fibro is the right diagnosis because the pain is so limited in terms of location. So I was wondering if it's possible. I've read on another message board that collagen deterioration in long-term diabetics (really long-term) while rare, is nontheless a known problem. That said, Blue Cross would not pay for a MRI because the nurse who called about it mentioned it was because I might have fibro (that cinched the no -- I was very angry about it). Only an MRI will show collagen deterioration. I don't know what to do but Neurontin doesn't work and I'm in so much pain it's really affecting every aspect of my life.
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

It makes you wonder why they even bother to hang out a shingle? I have read different things about Fibro, some articles say you must have pain in all four quadrants of the body and others say "not so fast". Some say ya gotta have tender points and still others don't. Some articles say Fibro and CFS are the same thing. Other articles claim neither exist.

One doctor won't give narcotics, another one says "which one do you like and how many do you want". And then you have to deal with people who say "just get up and do it and you'll be fine".

Since it sounds like you don't agree with the fibro dx, I would try to go back to the first doc and see if they can get an ok on the MRI by telling the insurance company that it ISN'T FM. I wouldn't let the insurance company get away with "sorry, no dice". I would make a big stink and eventually someone listens and pays.

It almost sounds like your second rheumy decided just to lump you into the FM group. But, having said that, while I had all 18 tender points when properly 'squeezed', my active daily pain is in my hips and upper shoulders/neck area. My knees hurt periodically, as do my elbows, but not on a daily basis. And most dx's require 11 of the 18 and the majority of the 18 are in the upper body area.

I personally think all insurance companies and doctors should be horsewhipped then inflicted with a plague that has no name and is excluded from all coverage. See how THEY like it.
  5. LaurieB

LaurieB New Member

Great advice; loved your comments! I will go back to the PCP and ask for another go-round with the insurance. It seems to me that an MRI is warranted. I'm going to ask in a separate thread if anyone here has been treated by a phsysiatrist. The diabetes board that I frequent has posts about that medical specialty. It's my understanding that physiatrists specialize in muscular/skeletal pain.