Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, May 2, 2008.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

Another sent this to me, she was in my old support group. It had been sent to her. I hope it is okay to share here.

http://www.askdrjohnson.com/fibro.php - This site has a short explanation of what causes fibromyalgia (brain stem malfunctioning) and a very interesting video by chiropractic neurologist, Dr. Michael Johnson. He says that fibromyalgia pain, insomnia, fibro-fog, IBS, dizziness, light sensitivity, heart palps, etc. are all caused by over-firing of the upper brain stem.

Dr. Johnson says most fibromyalgia patients have had severe stress - physical, emotional, or sexual abuse. He gives oxygen to fibro patients for their cerebellum to get more oxygen. This helps most of them! He also uses auricular therapy (acupuncture without needles called stimflex on the ear, which slows down the upper brain stem). He also uses auditory stimulation, visual stimulation, olfactory stimulation (sense of smell), and says eye exercises helps fire the lower brain stem (which explains why rolling my eyes upwards repeatedly when I'm trying to go to sleep helps relax me - and most of us focus our eyes straight ahead 99% of the time because of wearing glasses, watching TV, being on the computer or reading).

He also uses warm water in the ear which stimulates the semi-circular canals. He says that exercise of the arms helps this brain misfiring problem more than exercise of the legs, because arm exercises help a different area of the brain (which explains why just a few minutes of lifting my 3-lb. weights relaxes me and helps me yawn and get sleepy at night when I feel tense). He recommends L-tryptophan from Montef (pharmaceutical grade) which helps build up serotonin, also Omega 3's (natural anti-inflammatory), and adrenal support (from Metagenics). Dr. Johnson says you need HIGH QUALITY nutritional supplementation (not Walmart).

Dr. Johnson's book "What Do You Do When the Medications Don't Work?" is on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Treatment-Dizziness-Fibromyalgia-Conditions/dp/0974581801/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209780259&sr=1-1 - Read the reviews - they are all 5 stars except for one skeptic.

Dr. Johnson thinks that Trazadone is the best med for fibro patients for sleep, but on that I differ! (You can read what Trazadone did to me at www.fms-help.com/sleep.htm.) After I watched this video, I understood why certain things I am using now are helping (e.g., a supplement that takes oxygen to the brain, certain essential oils by inhaling the smells, audio tapes to balance the brain, etc. - my complete list is at www.fms-help.com/what.htm).

I think this doc is right on about the whole fibro dilemma! I would love to get some feedback from readers. I am especially interested in his treatment of insomnia, which I have suffered from since I was 16 www.fms-help.com/insomnia.htm. I am now 56. I have to take 3 different meds to sleep most nights, but I am not complaining - because I found that going without sleep was worse!!! You just can't function without sleep!

Has anyone been to Dr. Michael Johnson? He is located in Wisconsin. There are also other chiropractic neurologists around the country who use his techniques. Please write dombush@bellsouth.net with any info. Thanks for any feedback!
    Excuse me if this has been posted before. I sometimes go days with out reading the board.
    Blessings to all.........Susan
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The chronic slight state of seizure in our brains certainly contributes to our insomnia, sensory overload, anxiety/panic attacks, muscle spasms, tinnitus, etc. That is why anti-seizure/anti-spasmodic meds help us to sleep and with our other symptoms, including pain. They help to short circuit the pain signals in the brain. Klonopin and Neurontin are two of the most common meds we take for this.

I do not believe, however, that this is the whole answer to our FMS. If it were, the Klonopin and Neurontin, and other meds which increase GABA in the brain, would stop all symptoms of FMS. They don't, but they certainly help.

The only thing which I have found which offers the reversal of FMS symptoms is the Guai Protocol and it isn't a cure. It also doesn't work for everyone. I consider my FMS symptoms reversed but I can still have an FMS flare if I get sick, injured, or run down.

Thanks for posting this because the overfiring, and misfiring, of neurons in the brain can cause horrible symptoms for us. I've been on Klonopin for seven years now and it has been a God send.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney believes in Klonopin to prevent the early death of the brain's neurons from the seizure activity.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had a severe injury to my neck and head which preceded my fibro. I was in a car accident in which my head was hit from the back and the left, forming a giant hematoma the size of a second head. I was declared dead at the scene (surprise!).

After 22+ yrs. of misery, I am now receiving Atlas Orthospinology treatments, with a Chiropractor who specializes in doing only adjustment of the Atlas, the top bone of the spine, which your head is balanced on. I was very skeptical, but my TCM doctor kept insisting she'd seen miracles using this treatment with fibro patients, so I agreed to go and try it.

The average person whose Atlas is out of whack is out about 1-6 degrees. For example, Montel Williams claims just one session of this treatment took away 50% of his MS pain, and he was only 1 degree out of alignment.

My Chiro says she sees between 12,000-14,000 patients each year, and never sees anything as bad as my x-rays. My Atlas was 17 degrees out of alignment, to the front and right.

After only 5 sessions, I feel better than I have in 22+ years, and am driving regularly again. Organ damage from all these years cannot be undone, and I have a lot of it, and sadly, some of it will eventually be lethal (my pancreas is more than 90% atrophied).

But now my legs are much stronger, my back hurts less, and I can handle traffic over stimulation much better. My brain is communicating better with my body now that the messages can get through. My legs are even in length now, so my hip hurts less. I am not having the awful rages I was having. I have huge chunks of time where I feel almost normal, and I have a lot more energy. I am daring to hope for a better quality of life in the time I have left.

So, I think there may be something to this idea, especially for those of us that had whiplash or other head/neck injuries within the two year period prior to our developing Fibro. From what I've read, that would be 41% of us who might benefit from trying this. Other names for treatments that achieve the same results are Atlas adjustment, Upper Cervical Chiropractic, NUCCA, and Atlas Profilax. The main difference is the type of machine or hand movement that is used. There should be NO cracking of the neck.

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/04/2008]
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

great thread

I had whiplash 6 months before I got sick.

Never put the two together.

Check out the work of Dr. Baranuik at Georgetown University Hospital. He also believes that our issues are brain related.

I just got back from D.C. and learned alot about our illness. I was always focused on viral and body systems but the brain is where it is at. I am convinced now.

Jam, if I find that info I will paste it here but I would
    somehow like to get those Cheney numbers.

6. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Klutzo

That's great news; I know how badly you were affected by these Sx and how severely they impacted upon your life.

Trauma to the face, jaw or cervical spine are also mentioned in descriptions of ME. Dr John Richardson wrote about how the brain stem is "soft" and why whip lash can have such a devastating effect upon PWME.

Waynesrythm, and others, started topics on Atlas Profilax; it would be useful to others to read about another success story.

tc, Tansy
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have no doubt about this as a well known Nuero Surgeon told me this back in about 1990.
  8. Ginner

Ginner New Member

thank you so sick right now need to save tot read
  9. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I wanted to let you know since i noticed you are from Ohio that there is..was a atlas protocol person in Ohio. I have the info here but will have to look it up to find it.
    let me know if youwould like it. i am word for word what this article says...i had to lay down and read this infact off my laptop...very very sick with neck head right now..smells are making me crazzzzy. to doc tomorrow no apt but going cuz so sick.
    thx for posting this and let meknow or anyone else if they want the ohio info.
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

YES, I would appreciate info.......all appreciated. I am in NW Ohio but it is hard to travel alot.

My neck, shoulders, arms are really bad right now. Rainy out and cooler. I know the sore throat that does not want to go away, at least not far. LOL.

You know, even perfumes, soaps, flowers and sso much more will start the sore throat and the stiff neck and all.

THANKS TO EVERYONE for their responses...........Susan

too sore to type more......
  11. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Susan,

Here's the contact information for the Atlas Profilax practitioner in Ohio.

Beverly J. Welborne
    Stillpoint Center
    11223 Cornell Park Dr.
    Blue Ash, OH 45242
    513-489-5302 x 92

This <a href="http://www.amazingatlas.com/contact.html">link</a> will take you to Michael Hane's website which lists all the certified Atlas Profilax practitioners in the U.S.

My first thread on Atlas Proflax giving an extensive description of Atlas Profilax and my experience with it:

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1120581&B=FM#1120581/">Atlas Profilax Worked / is Working Very Well for Me</a>.

A follow up thread on more benefits I experienced from Atlas Profilax:

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1226021&B=FM#1226021/">Cranial Nerves - Vagus Nerve - Digestion - Atlas Profilax</a>.

A more recent thread started by Lena (username exgolfer):

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1225213&B=FM#1225483/">Atlas Profilax Michael Hane</a>.

Atlas Profilax search results (posts on this board):

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/search.cfm?b=FM&search=Atlas+Profilax&searchBy=title/">Atlas Profilax search results</a>.

Best to you if you decide to pursue this.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2008]
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

Thanks for all the time and effort you put forth here.

Appreciate it very much.......Bless You, Susan
  13. efly

efly New Member

Have a look at 'Ashok Guptas Amygdala retraining theory.... Also stating there is Overfiring... parts of the brain....Cort Johnsson is using his regime . you can view his Blog.
    cheers efly
  14. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Could that be the reason Iam experiencing more petit mal seizures, i wonder

I have had petit mal since I was 7 though

Worth contemplating maybe

angel hugs to all

15. Ginner

Ginner New Member

16. hensue

hensue New Member

I use to think just the brain. I realize everything is connected. Why if I walk a mile just about 12 to 24 ours i will be sick all over sore throat headache you know people you have it. How many here have had this chiropractic treatment done. Did it help? I am very leery about someone messing with my spine and neck. I do know for a fact my husband goes to a chiro a couple of times with his back out. It takes a while and he is much better.
    When it is physical like the walking and delayed pain. I always think it is your heart. I am just rambling, can you tell i have to go to the doctor in about 3 weeks and I am nervous as a cat about it.
    He always is very upfront and says there is no cure.
    Makes me feel great!
    We will have a cure and it is not a disease they say which thank God I am not a cancer patient. It is a condition.
    What a condition my condition is In.
    I am going to get off of here
  17. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

You say that you have a pancreas(sp) about to give out ? Are you able to get a transplant or use an insulin pump?

I have diabetes and both have been things that I have read about in my searches on diabetes

18. NightOwwl

NightOwwl New Member

I wonder what the explanation of stress is, it has to more than occurances that are all too common in life in general or everyone could have this. I can't really remember what it could be like to live without pain. Could stress be from birth itself? I was a breech baby and my mom had said it was a very difficult birth. It was 60yrs ago so their was very little in the way of meds or c-sections.
  19. Elisa

Elisa Member

I enjoyed the video link from this doctor - very interesting!!!

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 08/05/2008]
  20. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I see no conflict between viewing CFS/FMS as both physiological and having a strong relationship to stress. I don't think that is the same as saying it is PSYCHOLOGICAL.

I believe that there are biological reasons (not yet understood) why we have a decreased ability to process stress. Yes, EVERYBODY has stress, and to some extent our response to stress can be *managed*, especially if you are "normal". But I think our "motherboards" are blown, and stress management is a superficial (but necessary) bandaid.