upper cervical chiropractic??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spartanjt, Jul 23, 2003.

1. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

Hi everyone- I recently made a series of four visits to a chiropractor who specializes in something called Upper Cervical Chiropractic. This type of chiropractic focuses on the two top bones of the spine, nearest the brain, and is supposed to help align those bones so that the nervous system/brain can function better.

I went to this doc as per the advice of the local CFS support group coordinator highly recommended this treatment, as it had helped her "fibro fog" symptoms significantly.

Going in, i was a bit leery of the whole idea of any type of chiropractic could really help my CFS symptomology,,,,esp due to i do not have the muscle/joint pain of fibromyalgia,,,,but do have the fatigue and lightheadedness of CFS,,,and have had that for the past 10 years. Of course, i've done, and am doing many things to improve my health over that time, including diet changes, vitamins, amalgam fillings removals, meds,,,,etc.

Anyway, to get back to the chiro doc, at my first visit he scanned my spine and did x-rays, and told me that the two bones were misaligned and that there were problems esp in the neck area of my spine. i had my last of the intital four appointment yesterday, where he did the 3rd adjustment to the neck bones. He does not actually crack the neck, but applies pressure w/his hands to push the bones into position. After the adjustment, he gave me an outline of his plan of care for me, which included what he estimated to be 63 visits to his office to take care of my neck/spine problems !!!

As i got no benefit from the initial adjustments he did, i was shocked at the # of visits he thought were needed to complete the treatment. Especially as i'm not in pain in my neck or back, i left his office not knowing whether this treatment was really for me and my symptomology.

I wanted to see if anyone else here has been thru these UCC treatments,,,and what it did for their fatigue and lightheadedness/brain fog......For the fibromyalgia folks, i can see where the chiropractic may help,,,but i'm very confused now as to what this treatment can do for me....thx for any input that anyone may have....

JT
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi,

I have a wonderful chiropractor and trust him
    with my life.

I asked him about this last week and he said it
    was not helpful and he doesn't believe in it.
    Just thought I would let you know.
    Lynn
  3. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

many individuals who have Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia arrive at the disease by different ways or that not all of us have all the symptoms. for example my girlfriend has fibromyalgia and she says she sleeps like a baby whereas I do not...she does not have any neck pain but I do. I think we should all start trying to categorize ourselves in different areas that would help to determine what works for who.(hope I am making sense...have the brain fog going)

I think I might work for some but not others.

[ advertisement ]