Upper Endoscopy Tomorrow....How Will I Feel Plus More Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Apr 10, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Well, I get my Upper Endoscopy Tomorrow Morning at 10:30. Oh, what fun.

I have never had one of these done, how will I feel afterwards?

I know of course, they are putting me under.

Some people replied to me a while back when I asked the question "Is a Gastro Dr. the one to go to with Gallbladder Problems"?

He seems like a great guy. I told him all of those ugly symptoms I have been having, and he chose to do an Upper Endoscopy first.

Does anyone know why?

Pain in the right side around the bottom rib cage, sometimes dull, sometimes sharp. But not enough to send me to the ER.

And I do not mean to be gross (but very bad looking stools) very light and yellowish/orange.

This happened to me in late 2004 and they did a ultrasound, CT and Hida-Scan and it showed NOTHING.

Happened this year again, but has been going on a lot longer, no tests ran this year.

Thanks all!
    Brenda
  2. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

My husband recently had one. It wasn't bad. He just had to stay in the bed the rest of the day. He was very sleepy. Good luck
  3. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Brenda,
    I had one a few years ago. I have reflux and a sliding hiatial hernia. But I was having trouble swallowing food.
    As I was under treatment by a gastro doc for my Hemochromatosis, I went to him. He did the procedure and dialated my esophagus. No strictures were found and I was able to eat without choking.

I had the procedure at an endoscopic center. They were very pleasant. They started an IV to give me a sedative. I never was aware of the procedure till I was in recovery and was waking up. It did not hurt. My throat was alittle tender, probably from the dialation.
    I had to have someone there with me to drive me home as well. That is required.

BTW, about 20 years ago I had one because the gastro doc thought I might have an ulcer or gall bladder problems. It was negative and was told to take Mylanta and was prescribed Librex.
    I'm facing another possible one soon. I've had an abdominal sono (pancreas,aorta,stomach,spleen,gall bladder) all negative.
    Upper GI showed reflux with sliding hernia.
    I have been having pain upper left side, bottom of stomach.
    So, he won't be looking for gallstones, more likely ulcer or abnormality in esophagus.
    My primary recommended a colonoscopy too.

Don't worry, it's bearable. Remember you will be sedated.
    Good luck and let us know what the results were. I'll be thinking of you.
    granmama
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

These can be easy.

However, if the sedation is crap, so is the procedure. I found the statement about putting me under, of course, kidn of funny.

THEY DON'T ALWAYS.

I was preparing to have a lap-band surgery done. Had to have an upper GI, esophagoscopy, and the surgeon wanted to do it.

Showed up to discover that they had no anesthesia coverage. As a former CRNA, that made me ANGRY.

Then, was told they give DEMEROL AND A LITTLE VERSED. THEN I WAS FURIOUS.

I MADE IT ABUNDANTLY AND VOCIFEROUSLY CLEAR THAT THE NURSES WEREN'T QUALIFIED TO MANAGE MY AIRWAY, AND THAT DERMEROL WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRUG IN EXISTENCE TO BE GIVEN FOR THIS PROCEDURE. IT IS JUNK, ANYWAY. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING MEDICATION.

IT CAUSES ME TO PUKE, AND I MEAN PUKE, ISN'T EVEN EFFECTIVE PARTICULARLY FOR THE KIND OF THING CREATED BY AN UPPER ENDOSCOPY, AND I WANTED NO PART OF IT.

Then, the doctor appeared with his herd of DUCKLINGS BEHIND HIM. WEll, I taught Anesthesia for many years and spent most of my career in teaching hospitals, so I understand teaching, BUT START ON SOMEONE WHO IS ASLEEP AND SOMEONE WHO ISN'T A FRAGILE PATIENT. SOMETHING I WASN'T, AS IN ASLEEP, BUT WAS FRAGILE. ALL POTENTIAL LAP BAND AND GASTRIC BANDING PATIENTS ARE.

I have sleep apnea and THE AIRWAY COULD BE COMPROMISED EASILY.

I was in the midst of telling the doctor I WANTED NO PART WITH DEMEROL AND THE NURSE HAD STARTED THE VERSED, HE FORCED THE DAMN GAG IN MY MOUTH, THE NURSES ALL BUT SAT ON TOP OF ME, AND THEN THE CREEP LET THE YOUNGEST DUCKLING IN THE DAMN GROUP STICK THE THING IN MY MOUTH, AND DO THIS EXAM.

He had said it was absolutely IMPORTANT, and then he lets the least experienced person in the room do it? I WAS ANGRY.

Then, HOLDING A PATIENT, ESPECIALLY BUT ANY PATIENT REALLY, BUT ONE WHO IS MEDICAL, IS ASKING FOR A LAW SUIT.

When they took the gag out, I SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER AND TOLD THEM TO GET HIS BUTT BACK IN THERE, WHERE I ROUNDLY TOLD HIM OFF IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS.

TOLD HIM THEY HAD FAILED TO GIVE ME AN INFORMED CONSENT AHEAD OF TIME, AS I HAD NEVER, EVER AGREED TO HAVE THAT DONE WITHOUT ANESTHESIA, AND THEN TO GIVE ME THE DERMEROL, AFTER I TOLD THE NURSES IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT I WAS NEVER TO RECEIVE IT WAS MALPRACTICE AND ASSAULT. I TAUGHT MEDICOLEGAL, SO I KNOW OF WHAT I SPEAK.

The creep went, uhhhhhh, and said, now settle down.

I told him I would d*** well settle down when I was ready.

It made me really, really angry.

At any rate, when my husband had one scheduled, I MADE CERTAIN HE TOLD THEM WELL IN ADVANCE HE HAD TO HAVE ANESTHESIA COVERAGE AND WAS TO BE ASLEEP.

THEN, I DEMANDED TO SPEAK WITH THE ANESTHETIST BEFORE, THEY GAVE HIM PROPOFOL, PERFECT DRUG, PERFECT CHOICE.

he did fantastic.
  5. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Thanks to all for replying!! I am getting ready to leave now. I will update on how I feel within the next few days.

TFfmmom: I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I definately would have sued these people. I do not believe that anyone could go thru having something put down their throat and moved thru their body without anethesia.

Trust me, if they do this to me, I WILL SEW THEM!!!

I recently had a Bone Marrow Biopsy and they told me that I would be out and would not be awake. The RN even ensured me after she gave me the drug that in most people it only takes a few minutes.

Well, I NEVER fell asleep and the Oncologist went ahead with the procedure. I was SO MAD. Although the procedure was not as bad as the horror stores I have heard.

Brenda
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Brenda:

Good luck today. I have had it done and it was no biggie.

nyrofan
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I always feel better after upper endo. so hope you do too. Remember you may need some gasx(simethicone) in for gas pains.

Let us know how you went on sorry I missed the post prior to this morning. You should be all finsished now.

Love Anne C
  8. atowne

atowne New Member

IT wont be too bad just listen to them when they tell you to swallow and remeber to breathe through your nose ... some people complain of sore throat the day after but usually no major problems.. the sedation is usually enough to not make you sleep but you wont remember much afterwards if narcotics make you sick ask for something with the sedation ... you will be sleepy for a while and probably the rest of the day hope this helps good luck
  9. atowne

atowne New Member

sometimes with gallbladder they can access and remove stones with and Ercp which is like the upper endoscopy they use wires to access the ducts hope this helps
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

just uncomfortable. it is so quick I meditated through it and did not use any sedation. Sedation and drugs scare me so I just opted for it without it. My upper tummy hurt for a day or two b.c they had to take a sample but it was not very painful just a dull pain.
  11. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I truly appreciate all of your responses.

txfmmom - I understand your situaton. It has now been twice that I had been told that I will be asleep and neither time has it happened.

I am finished with the endoscopy now. But I am not very happy about it. I posted two messages about it. They are on the first and second pages of the board right now if you would like to read them.

Thanks again to all!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda