Upper G.I.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sue50, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Sue50

    Sue50 New Member

    My dr. is sending me to the hospital to have an Upper G.I. Test, has anyone here had one? Just wondering what it is the Dr. does?
  2. jess

    jess New Member

    Hi Sue, There are several types of upper Gi's that I know about. I've had them.One is a barrium swallow with x rays which is no big deal. Then there is an endoscopy where you are given sedation and a long tube goes into you stomach. You don't feel it. I've had over 10 of these. There is also a mannometry which I've never had. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask him what exactly you are having. God luck and don't worry. Jess
  3. Pianowoman

    Pianowoman New Member

    From my experience, an Upper G.I. is a barium swallow but I guess it's wise to check. This isn't much of a problem. You can't eat before you go. Then they give you some barium to drink. It's a thick white radio opaque liquid that shows up on the x-ray. They are usually checking to see if anything is refluxing up into your esophagus.

    Good Luck and let us know.


  4. Sue50

    Sue50 New Member

    for the info, my dr. is so busy she never has much time to talk to me, I will call the hospital and ask them. I'll let you know what happens. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Dec. I'm getting old, need all these tests!! YUCK!!!
  5. Sue50

    Sue50 New Member

    for all of your help

[ advertisement ]